Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Three players charged with verbally abusing match officials

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Two Kingstone Press Championship players will appear before the RFL Disciplinary Committee next week after being charged with committing offences during recent fixtures.

Keighley Cougars forward Paul March has been charged with committing the Grade B offence of using foul and abusive language towards a match official during a Championship game against Featherstone Rovers on Thursday March 7.

Workington Town prop Jamie Thackray has been charged with the Grade C offence of using foul and abusive language and aggressive body language towards a match official during a game against York City Knight on Sunday March 10.

Hull KR Academy player Ryan Devaney will also appear before the Disciplinary Committee after he was charged with a Grade D offence for using foul and abusive language and questioning the integrity of a match official on Saturday March 2.

All three players were charged after the incidents were viewed by the Match Review Panel, which also deemed sending off was sufficient punishment for Dewsbury Rams player Karl Pryce, who was dismissed following a striking incident in a game against Barrow Raiders on Sunday March 10.
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Agressive body language?.....i want to see the pose in question

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Agressive body language?.....i want to see the pose in question

He walked towards the ref with his fists clenched and his arms widened.

It's time to park the camels.

#4 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

With all their experience, should know better

Edited by T-Dub, 14 March 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Makes no difference what stance was made, when I started playing it was all yes sir, no sir, if you talked out of turn you went a further 10 yards back, if you dared to say anything else you either went a further 10 yards back or walked, this disobedience has been slowly creeping into the game, I blame summer B)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#6 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

He walked towards the ref with his fists clenched and his arms widened.

Where do you go to get your arms widened ?
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Where do you go to get your arms widened ?

Widens.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Rugby League has always been known for it's discipline in dealing with players who abuse the games officials. I was very dissapointed with the Widnes coach's attitude to the sending of Gareth Hock. He appeared to be saying that swearing was part of the game, and made the game look soft if players who swore got sent off.
He totally missed the point that match officials are not their to be abused. None of us can swear hand on heart that we have never disagreed with an officials decision, but what appears to be a bad decision does not merit abuse of an official. Big Jim Mills was sent off many times, but none I recall for abusing an official, he may have performed like an hooligan, but he always took his punishments without having a go at the referee, in fact he appeared to enjoy good relationships with them all..

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,627 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Don't tell anyone, but Pryce was not the offender; took the rap after being persuaded by team-mate Chris Huhne.
B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Makes no difference what stance was made, when I started playing it was all yes sir, no sir, if you talked out of turn you went a further 10 yards back, if you dared to say anything else you either went a further 10 yards back or walked, this disobedience has been slowly creeping into the game, I blame summer B)

other than it was very cold on Sunday!
You are correct dissent has been creeping in & I'm glad that the RFL are taking a stand against it. There is no need for it

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Rugby League has always been known for it's discipline in dealing with players who abuse the games officials. I was very dissapointed with the Widnes coach's attitude to the sending of Gareth Hock. He appeared to be saying that swearing was part of the game, and made the game look soft if players who swore got sent off.
He totally missed the point that match officials are not their to be abused. None of us can swear hand on heart that we have never disagreed with an officials decision, but what appears to be a bad decision does not merit abuse of an official. Big Jim Mills was sent off many times, but none I recall for abusing an official, he may have performed like an hooligan, but he always took his punishments without having a go at the referee, in fact he appeared to enjoy good relationships with them all..

I agree. I would actually have liked to have seen Betts on a disrepute charge for his tirade against the officials, with him pretty much suggesting that they are not professional. This would have happened in football and I class us as much better on the respect front than football.

#12 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Players abusing refs is a no no, and long bans should be the norm. There are some shocking refs out there at present, when does Cummings go?

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

RFL statement on the issue

http://www.superleag...ct-for-referees

#14 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Back in the 80's/90s, in the Pennine League, it was 6 matches for arguing with the ref and a minimum of 10 matches for foul and abusive languge to a ref.

These were not just notional punishments, they were regularly applied.

Not sure what the situation is now.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Back in the 80's/90s, in the Pennine League, it was 6 matches for arguing with the ref and a minimum of 10 matches for foul and abusive languge to a ref.

These were not just notional punishments, they were regularly applied.

Not sure what the situation is now.

That seems a bit ott, though if it was a required level of punishment to prevent ref abuse, then worth it.

The same laws on this ought to apply over the whole game from top to bottom, as it shouldn't be tolerated at any level.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Don't tell anyone, but Pryce was not the offender; took the rap after being persuaded by team-mate Chris Huhne.
B)

Must admit I gasped at the thought of Karl being aggressive. If there is one thing which has prevented him from being a top class player ['cos Jesus knows, he has everything else] it's his lack of aggression and laid back personality. I'd go for mistaken identity or multiple delusion but it surely can't be Karl throwing his weight about?

Actually, if we could get the guy who wound him up on the coaching team, maybe we could have Big Karl back at Odsal.. B)
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Must admit I gasped at the thought of Karl being aggressive. If there is one thing which has prevented him from being a top class player ['cos Jesus knows, he has everything else] it's his lack of aggression and laid back personality. I'd go for mistaken identity or multiple delusion but it surely can't be Karl throwing his weight about?

Actually, if we could get the guy who wound him up on the coaching team, maybe we could have Big Karl back at Odsal.. B)

He actually fell over the other Dewsbury tackler and landed on the Barrow player. Incompetent, clumsy yes but not aggressive.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

What really annoys me is the constant need of people to attempt to justify the abusive rubbish that comes out of their mouths. I'm a match official and I do not abuse players, coaches or spectators but it seems it's accepted that it is ok for them to abuse me. Abuse of any kind is abhorrent and these pathetic attempts to justify it are no better.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

If I was a ref I'd be tempted to talk to them how they may talk to me, I'd happily swear at players and spectators if they swore at me.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

other than it was very cold on Sunday!
You are correct dissent has been creeping in & I'm glad that the RFL are taking a stand against it. There is no need for it

I.m sure I never ever caused you any problems, Ernie was a different story, lol He actually played for the first team last week at 54, It was funny to hear Steve Presley shouting "Ernie, Ernie, Ernie put him down"
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users