Dewsbury Rams 6 Leigh Centurions 36 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

36 unanswered points again doesn't sound good. I wasn't able to be at this game so look forward to a balanced review. (Ossy?)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Losing 6-14 ht.

It gets much much worse :)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#23 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

No idea where to start with a performance like that poor all round. We seem to have lost the attacking flare we had at start of season I think we have scored 1 try in 120 mins.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#24 S.T.R

S.T.R
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

What a shower of sh@t no leader on or off the field karl pryce what a waste of time we made far too many basic errors resorted to one man rugby made leigh look good when quite frankly they aren't morrison needs to sort this out or his coaching career may be a short one
When I want your opinion, I will remove the gaffer tape

#25 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

We are a young inexperienced team put together on a budget, Leigh are a bunch of seasoned professionals compiled at great expense and it showed today.

We really lack leadership and when we go behind heads go down and we struggle. If Spicer is captain he needs to be more vocal. Completion rate was very poor and Leigh just got a stranglehold in the second half. Kicking game was poor, we let them play the ball far quicker than they allowed us.

Either Leigh were moving up far quicker than us or they were infringing at the play the ball. It was probably a bit of both. That combined with their slowing of the play the ball made it really hard for our forwards to make any ground. Neither Tebb nor Tonks did much to stake a claim for a regular spot.

And the referee. Um, Being a junior rugby ref, I know how hard it is to referee, but thought he was poor today. He should have clamped down more on the laying on and interference at the play the ball and binned someone. Completely missed the swinging arm from Parker which started the fight, at times it looked like he was overly influenced by the Leigh team. Leigh played the ref very well and he looked out of his depth. Not sure what the penalty count was but it was pretty heavy against us and probably cost us any chance of a bonus point.

But conceded 36 points again unanswered for a second week.

#26 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Pyrce had a poor game but then so did everyone else the highlight of the game was the bustup in the second half.
Kicking game was very poor throughout Brown Pryce Coleman and Wright all had a go but kicks went straight at FB or winger or out on the full. Penalties we made 5/10 yard even if we were close to the touchline. Not sure who was captain in Spaven absence but there was nobody geeing up the team.
We are missing some zip.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#27 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Have to agree that the performance was very poor, we are a very young side that needs to learn and use the tricks of the trade as Leigh do, they conned an absolutely abysmal referee and linesmen(they did nothing).
we started off ok but we went downhill very rapid, when the decisions started going against us our heads went down and we struggled, we need a leader on the pitch and we need to start working for each other again.

#28 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

36 unanswered points again doesn't sound good. I wasn't able to be at this game so look forward to a balanced review. (Ossy?)

Balanced review BSJ? Here it is then.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

So fare thee well, and best wishes to you all.

Ossy

Edited by Ossy, 17 March 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#29 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

There's some very blinkered views of the game on here. The ref was poor for both sides. As for a team put together at great expense, not true at all. For your coach to blame the defeat on the lack of dual re players just shows what the championship has become. You had players 'filling in' for the team that signed them. No doubt they train their nads off week in week out and are effectively blamed for the defeat. Your coach needs to look closer to home.Leigh were very poor in the first half i thought and simply made very few errors in the second half.

Incidentally why did Karl Price only touch the ball after 35 minutes. Don't your players like him?

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#30 morti

morti
  • Coach
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

one word SHOCKING n the ref was nt much better,morrison needs to get it sorted n quickly,some tough games coming up

#31 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Not great expense. So all your players are playing for peanuts? I expect that Leigh's playing budget is a great deal more than the Rams or most of the other teams in the bottom half of the division. Beswick, Penkywic etc.. Do not come cheap

Our coach's main gripe was about the penalty count, not lack of DR players. WE have only have two DR players at the most. We just have a chairman who won't spend money we don't have and we don't have sugar daddies to bail us out.

What is worse, clubs striving for a SL place paying unsustainable money to players based on having rich directors or clubs using a couple of DR players?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 17 March 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#32 Swanna

Swanna
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well its a pity KP avoided a ban last week cos he is just stealing money. He just doesnt want work. He is the most laziest player I have ever seen. He could have picked up their stand off and walked over the line today but he passed the ball cos this was the easiest option.

#33 Swanna

Swanna
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

There's some very blinkered views of the game on here. The ref was poor for both sides. As for a team put together at great expense, not true at all. For your coach to blame the defeat on the lack of dual re players just shows what the championship has become. You had players 'filling in' for the team that signed them. No doubt they train their nads off week in week out and are effectively blamed for the defeat. Your coach needs to look closer to home.Leigh were very poor in the first half i thought and simply made very few errors in the second half.

Incidentally why did Karl Price only touch the ball after 35 minutes. Don't your players like him?

Players like him he just doesnt like work.

#34 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Balanced review BSJ? Here it is then.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

So fare thee well, and best wishes to you all.

Ossy

A sad post Ossy. You will have seen many worse Dewsbury sides over the years. I suspect that your reasons go beyond a poor display this afternoon? They are a young side and one would expect results to be up and down for a while, as I'm sure you know. Your last sentence suggests that there is much more to your decision than a couple of Dewsbury losses. It would be interesting and no doubt informative to hear your reasons for 'packing in'.

Whether you choose to reply to this or not ,thank you for many well written match reports that even someone from across the valley has enjoyed reading.

#35 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

A sad post Ossy. You will have seen many worse Dewsbury sides over the years. I suspect that your reasons go beyond a poor display this afternoon? They are a young side and one would expect results to be up and down for a while, as I'm sure you know. Your last sentence suggests that there is much more to your decision than a couple of Dewsbury losses. It would be interesting and no doubt informative to hear your reasons for 'packing in'.

Whether you choose to reply to this or not ,thank you for many well written match reports that even someone from across the valley has enjoyed reading.

Wholeheartedly agree. Very sad.

#36 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

one word SHOCKING n the ref was nt much better,morrison needs to get it sorted n quickly,some tough games coming up

Think you've all summed up our problems quite well. We don't have a captain and with it going badly today it really showed. Rob is a 100% er, but it ain't no captain. We also have no kicking game. Leigh kicked superbly al the game, we merely kicked it and hoped. Agree that Pryce ain't doing much, but we don't even try to get him in the game. Why he doesn't take the drop outs from under the posts god only knows. He could wallop it over the half way line for a start.
Ref was ######, Leigh played every trick in the book and got away with it, but it didn't affect the result. Big game next week. If we loose this one we will get dragged into the relegation dog fight. Let's not forget that we had no O'Brien, Heppy has left a gap we can't fill and craven was also out. We need Ben Jones and Austin back asap.

#37 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Pryce barely touched the ball and hardly looked interested.

He isn't going to resurrect his career playing like he is - what a waste of talent.
Posted Image

#38 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Not great expense. So all your players are playing for peanuts? I expect that Leigh's playing budget is a great deal more than the Rams or most of the other teams in the bottom half of the division. Beswick, Penkywic etc.. Do not come cheap

Our coach's main gripe was about the penalty count, not lack of DR players. WE have only have two DR players at the most. We just have a chairman who won't spend money we don't have and we don't have sugar daddies to bail us out.

What is worse, clubs striving for a SL place paying unsustainable money to players based on having rich directors or clubs using a couple of DR players?

Seriously WR, our playing budget IS low. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the teams in the lower half of the league are on more money than our lads. In the past, we did have a 'sugar daddy' and our wage bill was ridiculous. (Robbie H-P for example) This season, and last we made the drastic (although common sense) decision not to pay money we haven't got and only have a squad of 23 players. Although it is a fairly meaningless measure of financial security (ask Bradford or Salford) we were running at 23% of salary cap last season, which is a reasonable yardstick of our wage bill. The players we have are at Leigh because of the facilities, (we are fortunate to have) the coaching set up, and the welfare and care package in place, in addition to the wages - which are NOT great.

By the way, to the fan who says he's had enough, please keep the faith. There are less and less of we diehards trying to keep RL in the Championship alive! Looking forward to seeing you at ours, with perhaps a slightly less pedantic official in charge.

#39 Swanna

Swanna
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

We are a young inexperienced team put together on a budget, Leigh are a bunch of seasoned professionals compiled at great expense and it showed today.

We really lack leadership and when we go behind heads go down and we struggle. If Spicer is captain he needs to be more vocal. Completion rate was very poor and Leigh just got a stranglehold in the second half. Kicking game was poor, we let them play the ball far quicker than they allowed us.

Either Leigh were moving up far quicker than us or they were infringing at the play the ball. It was probably a bit of both. That combined with their slowing of the play the ball made it really hard for our forwards to make any ground. Neither Tebb nor Tonks did much to stake a claim for a regular spot.

And the referee. Um, Being a junior rugby ref, I know how hard it is to referee, but thought he was poor today. He should have clamped down more on the laying on and interference at the play the ball and binned someone. Completely missed the swinging arm from Parker which started the fight, at times it looked like he was overly influenced by the Leigh team. Leigh played the ref very well and he looked out of his depth. Not sure what the penalty count was but it was pretty heavy against us and probably cost us any chance of a bonus point.

But conceded 36 points again unanswered for a second week.

Dont know what you people watch some games Tebby was a little rusty but didnt stop trying and Tonks missed one tackle because he shot out of the line too quick. These are the players that should be built around. Young Spires cannot get a game due to SL cast offs .

Edited by Swanna, 17 March 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#40 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Reading post match posts on this thread gives plenty food for thought. Firstly although I don't know you personally Ossy I hope you have a change of heart. If you have watched Dewsbury for as long as you say, you have watched some seriously dire performances over the years.We are well seasoned in the art of having our hopes built up only to be brought back down to earth with a bump on far too many occasions for all our wishes.

Dewsburys performance today was on a par with that of the referee (I'll leave it at that). Leigh were at best average and that is not meant as disrespectful but they didn't have to break many pots to beat us by 30 points away from home. It seems to me that without the likes of Donaldson & O'Brien on DR in our team we are very ordinary and likely to be embroiled in the dreaded relegation battle once again.

Our kicking game was awful, the schoolboy errors were back (poor completion, kicking out on the full, soft tries from dummy half etc etc etc)

Karl Pryce for the umpteenth week running looks like he would rather be anywhere on earth rather than on a rugby pitch playing for Dewsbury. For gods sake RL disciplinary committee ban him for a good few weeks (because Morro will never drop him) and give Callan Becket a chance.

Keighley will turn up next week fired up from their first win of the season and if we don't improve 100% we will become their second victim and seriously in the brown stuff yet again. That said I will be on the terraces giving my all and I hope that you all will be too and that includes you too Ossy.
Ricochet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users