TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams 6 Leigh Centurions 36 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Callan Becket has more bravery and commitment in his big toe than that overpaid , lazy , sloth of a so called man. This is the same man who two years ago was looking ordinary playing against under 20 kids . How on earth he is commanding a starting place in this league is beyond me !!!!

#42 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

It's like I said on an earlier post about Karl Pryce he is the laziest player I have seen in a Dewsbury strip if he is to get more involved in the game put him on the other side of the pitch the ball goes that side more often than not or failing that put him in the second row where he can't hide a kid his size should be running the show

#43 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

From what I have seen he doesn't want to get involved. If the ball comes his way he will reluctantly take it up but never goes looking for it. Morro needs to put some trust in the lads HE signed in the first place and show us the expansive style of play he promised pre season.

I know the grounds are heavy at present but other teams seem to be able to throw the ball about and not just rely on forward drives and a relieving kick (usually straight down the fullbacks throat)
Ricochet!

#44 bigboyroy

bigboyroy
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

We are a young inexperienced team put together on a budget, Leigh are a bunch of seasoned professionals compiled at great expense and it showed today.

We really lack leadership and when we go behind heads go down and we struggle. If Spicer is captain he needs to be more vocal. Completion rate was very poor and Leigh just got a stranglehold in the second half. Kicking game was poor, we let them play the ball far quicker than they allowed us.

Either Leigh were moving up far quicker than us or they were infringing at the play the ball. It was probably a bit of both. That combined with their slowing of the play the ball made it really hard for our forwards to make any ground. Neither Tebb nor Tonks did much to stake a claim for a regular spot.

And the referee. Um, Being a junior rugby ref, I know how hard it is to referee, but thought he was poor today. He should have clamped down more on the laying on and interference at the play the ball and binned someone. Completely missed the swinging arm from Parker which started the fight, at times it looked like he was overly influenced by the Leigh team. Leigh played the ref very well and he looked out of his depth. Not sure what the penalty count was but it was pretty heavy against us and probably cost us any chance of a bonus point.

But conceded 36 points again unanswered for a second week.

Totally disagree - Tebby didn't do anything wrong came on pitch and tried , the lads only played twenty minutes since the friendlies needs more game time and to be played regular instead of dual reg hookers from Bradford
Tonks came on and had a great game probably best defender we,ve got and always gives 100% and in my opinion a better second rower than Walshaw who like Pryce doesn't always look interested
Going back to Pryce , we,ve sent a better young player out on loan to Keighley who at least wanted to be at Dewsbury (Cosgrove)
We keep playing Gallagher who,s only fit for ten minutes each half .
Glenn needs to go back to the team that looked so impressive in the friendlies
I agree with Swanna - Don,t know what some people watch

#45 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Keep a sense of perspective people.
Very young side,started well with some good results,but it didn't,t make us champions overnight.
These results are going to happen,have to keep faith with the coach and players for now.

Certainly defence is a concern and hope Glen knows how to rectify that.

Comparing other teams budgets will not get us a single point,worrying about other teams playing rosters will not gain us a single point.
We have to earn our way and that means hard work from the coach and players and support from the fans.

Gripes and singling individuals out after just a handful of games and especially after last season,is not helpful.All need to stick together.

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

A sense of perspective is certainly necessary but there is one worrying trend and this was pointed out before the start of the season - we do not have a leader on the field. Rob is a top bloke and leads by example but he isn't the sort to get the players together behind the posts and give them a wake up call. Watch the video from last week's game at Barrow - after conceding a try the players wandered back behind the posts in ones and twos with no sign of team cohesion or leadership. This was brought into focus even more for me during the Swinton match where, at one point, our assistant coach was on the pitch for quite some time whilst we were defending organising the defensive line. Not only is this against the laws of the game but demonstrates a complete lack of confidence in allowing the players to organise themselves.

Without wishing to wander too far off track I believe that this is symptomatic of the game as a whole nowadays, in that it is over-coached. No longer will a coach devise a general gameplan and allow the players to see it through, with some leeway for them to read developments themselves on the pitch. Nowadays he seems to find it necessary to make every single decision for those players during the course of a match. Without allowing individual iinitiative to flourish then the natural leaders will simply be repressed.

Let's see what next week brings but if the same team is selected there will be questions asked I'm sure.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yes, we were poor and matched the referee in that department. Our kicking game was poor, either straight into the full back's hands, or straight into touch. There is no flair when on attack because there is nobody with leadership qualities, yet the try we scored was excellent. Then it all wnt down the pan. Leigh, as everyone points out, were average, but we made them look better than they are.

The referee, Matt Thomason, lost the plot I think. The Leigh team told him what they wanted and did as he was bid. Others have pointed out what he didn't do for us, but one is missing; near the end he awarded Leigh a penalty (yes another one) and signalled to the touch judges that a kick at goal was to be attempted. Leigh promptly kicked to touch and, I think, went on to score a try. Did he allow them to change their decision or was he confused?

Ossy, if you are reading this, come back; think of your children here, well BSJ anyway! We need you.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#48 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

How's this for a radical theory. Perhaps its not the ref or players its the fans? Do we find defeat so hard to take these days that it is always someones fault?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#49 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Balanced review BSJ? Here it is then.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

So fare thee well, and best wishes to you all.

Ossy

Sorry to hear that ossy. Like you, I left before the end, simply because it was obvious nothing was going to happen for us and I figured I might as well lift my personal gloom with a pint and a warm up in my local - plus I'd gotten a bit tired of the foul mouthed abuse being directed at the officials from somewhere behind me.. This is far from the worst side we have ever had though, and to be fair we endured six seasons of the same kind of disappointment under previous and better funded coaches than GM, so I'm happy to let things ride for awhile yet. Agree with the posters about the lack of leadership, inability to defend the line and the poor kicking game we have, but hopefully this will be sorted. Don't give up on the team yet ossy.

#50 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yes, we were poor and matched the referee in that department. Our kicking game was poor, either straight into the full back's hands, or straight into touch. There is no flair when on attack because there is nobody with leadership qualities, yet the try we scored was excellent. Then it all wnt down the pan. Leigh, as everyone points out, were average, but we made them look better than they are.

The referee, Matt Thomason, lost the plot I think. The Leigh team told him what they wanted and did as he was bid. Others have pointed out what he didn't do for us, but one is missing; near the end he awarded Leigh a penalty (yes another one) and signalled to the touch judges that a kick at goal was to be attempted. Leigh promptly kicked to touch and, I think, went on to score a try. Did he allow them to change their decision or was he confused?

Ossy, if you are reading this, come back; think of your children here, well BSJ anyway! We need you.

Leigh telling the ref what they wanted and the ref did as he was told ? Come on get a grip. Get a DVD and watch the game again or better still show it to a neutral and get ther opinion. Your team lost because they did not play as well as Leigh did on the day

#51 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Balanced review BSJ? Here it is then.

I've supported Dewsbury RLFC for approximately 55 years now, and today was the first time in all those years that I've walked out before the final whistle - well before I might add. Not only that, but I won't be coming back, a decision I should have made after last years abysmal display at Cougar Park.

I've supported the side home and away - Crown Flatt, Barley Mow, Parkside, Odsal, Headingly, Fartown et al... even Cumbria and South Wales... but no more. I've just watched my last game; well 2/3rds of it anyway. I'll miss it, though I'll miss the many friends Sheila and I have made far more. It's just not the game I remember with such affection, the RFL have seen to that.

So fare thee well, and best wishes to you all.

Ossy

Thats a shame Ossy, I hope you reconsider and support the rams, and I'm a Batley fan.

#52 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Grumpy old Ram... I gave the touch judge the benefit of my opinions, though I never, never use foul or abusive language. I'm sorry if it spoiled it a bit for you (if it was me, I stand near the front so don't think I was behind anyone) I do get a bit excited at times. Again sorry if it was me.

#53 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Grumpy old Ram... I gave the touch judge the benefit of my opinions, though I never, never use foul or abusive language. I'm sorry if it spoiled it a bit for you (if it was me, I stand near the front so don't think I was behind anyone) I do get a bit excited at times. Again sorry if it was me.

The person concerned had his wife and kids with him and was sat right at the back. I'm no saint and have effed and jeffed with the best in male company, and undoubtedly mumbled expletives out of earshot at games, but not at the top of my voice in front of kids and young girls ( some of them leigh fans with their parents). What's worse is that the bunch of jobsworths laughingly described as stewards couldn't possibly have failed to hear him. I doubt it would have been you F5, and ordinarily I wouldn't bother commenting - it's happened before - but I just got fed up on a miserable day and left him to it on sunday. Not being precious or anything.

#54 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

With a cooler head, our key players probably have only about 30 first team games between them, so not surprising we lack composure etc..

Gallagher left the game with what might have been a broken nose. Aizue was not on the field long, which left us with just Spicer and Nash as experienced players. Yes Pryce was on the field but not much more than that. Why he didn't do the field kicking is beyond me, the kicks he put in against Featherstone were the biggest ever seen at our ground. But guess it is up to GM to get him to shape up or leave. I thought he would be just here for a few games, get match fit and then go off to a lower end SL team, but it looks like he can't even be bothered to do that. Baffling.

When we get Craven, Hepworth, Jones and Buchanan back, we'll be in a better state. Really need to beat Keighley, as doubt we will get even a bonus point against Batley and Halifax.

#55 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Dont say that Wakefield Ram, have booked the night off work to go and see this match, it was just unfortunate that both our half backs had an off day, our forwards tried hard but got nowhere against a " fast" Leigh defence ( they were only fast thanks to the abysmal referee), hoping the guys learn from this and improve remember a young team still learning and have every faith in them.

#56 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

doubt we will get even a bonus point against Batley and Halifax.

I like your posativity WR :)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#57 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

It's two experienced teams of seasoned pros against a team of mostly inexperienced young players as the likes of Craven etc.. wont be back. Barrow managed to lose at home to Whitehaven which puts our loss there in even worse light.

Blind optimism is no substitute, we have struggled past some very ordinary teams in the bottom half of the table, lost to Fev and been thrashed by Barrow and Leigh, conceded 72 points and scored 6 in the last 120 minutes. I'm guessing confidence will be low and we have key experienced players missing and a coach new to being Head Coach. If you want to choose to be positive, that's fine, but when I look at it in the cold light of day, it's not looking very good at the moment. Hence doubt we will get a bonus point. Think Thursday might well be a heavy beating and a Batley win by 20ish points.

Still think we could make 7th or 8th in the playoffs, but this Sunday will be a good indicator of whether we will be chasing play offs or trying to avoid relegation.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 18 March 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#58 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I don't believe that relegation will be a serious issue this year but that we might achieve the dizzy heights of safety but no play-offs.

Maybe we'll be better on drier grounds when the natural pace in the team gets a chance to show.

B)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#59 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

You need to get a team of local lads like we have at Leigh they play for peanuts and don't get hacked off by losing a shirt to some sl wannabe at a moments notice, pryce is on more than all our lads combined I don't know how you afford it

#60 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Good one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users