Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams 6 Leigh Centurions 36 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

You need to get a team of local lads like we have at Leigh they play for peanuts and don't get hacked off by losing a shirt to some sl wannabe at a moments notice, pryce is on more than all our lads combined I don't know how you afford it

Any more drivel where that one came from? Please tell us how much Pryce is on and confirm that Penky switched from 'Fax to you for peanuts; Beswick may look a bit symian but I guess that he also plays for money.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#62 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

; Beswick may look a bit symian but I guess that he also plays for money.

Class!!!! :D

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#63 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I have never felt so frustrated at a game than i did on Sunday and this was for many reasons.

We seemed to start well, as usual, and then dropped off. The period of drop outs we gave to Leigh was always going to end with a score. We cannot afford to give periods of possession to teams that are the size of Leigh, as we will never keep them out on the line. it was always going to be a hard afternoon with the size of Leigh as a team.

Leigh did seem to get away with a lot. They did move up much quicker than us at the play of the ball, but they were going far too early and were often offside. On this subject, we need to move up off our line and get into the faces of the attacking team. We haven't done this for years. Leigh were also messing around in nearly every tackle and the referee let them get away with it from the start. This was the start of him losing the game and this led to the fights towards the end of the match. He really lost it and should have imposed himself on the game in a more positive way, rather than giving endless penalties that stopped the flow of the play.

On the subject of penalties though, we as a team give far many legitimate penalties away and this has got to be stopped. The lack of experience does show and this is starting to worry me.

The kicking in play is very disappointing also. We should be able to kick teams to death on our pitch. It is the smallest in all leagues and we never use this to our advantage. Kicking on the last tackle, or earlier, often results in a kick down the throat of the full back. Batley know how to use the slope of their pitch to their advantage, so come on, lets get this kicking game sorted out on our postage stamp of a pitch. Kicking to touch also annoys me. We gain little ground kicking to touch when we could be kicking into the corners. It is easy on a pitch of our dimensions!!

Karl Pryce shouldn't be on the pitch if he continues to play as he is. He doesn't come inside looking for the ball and when attacking on the line he isn't there as a runner. He is massive and he should be using his size. I doubt we will ever see this.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#64 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Showing my lack of education but I have no idea what the word you use to describe Beswick means any advice please. I do know what simian means.

Its no compliment, that's for sure. Let's just say it means you look a little bit closer to your ancestors than you might care to be.

By the way, I think that you're kidding us about your ignorance. According to the Cambridge dictionary your spelling is right and BSJ spelt it wrongly.

#65 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

It is easy on a pitch of our dimensions!!

Does anyone know what our pitch dimensions actually are?

I hear regularly that our pitch is small, but what size is it and what size is the pitch over the valley or at Fev?

Edited by Hugh Jarce, 19 March 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#66 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

31 to 7 penalty count.Thats a penalty conceeded nearly every 2 mins,In one of the recent s/l matches.The ref called the captains and warned them that due to the high count.He would sin bin the next player that gave away a penalty.Did he warn our capt did he *ollocks.One thing i never complaining about his teams being offside both teams being guilty of it.Same on Sunday if we were guilty so Leigh players were equally guilty.The ref watched one team and one team only.Cant blame the lads for the performance the cheat in the middle stopped us from playing.Its alrite we also know theres another team in the H.W.he hates.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 19 March 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#67 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone know what our pitch dimensions actually are?

I hear regularly that our pitch is small, but what size is it and what size is the pitch over the valley or at Fev?

This was posted a couple of years ago - I think the dimensions are in metres but not 100% sure.

Dewsbury 92 x 62
Batley 98 x 65
Fev 88 x 70
York 90 x 60
Hunslet 94 x 64
Sheffield 88 x 66

Edited by fredm, 19 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#68 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

This was posted a couple of years ago - I think the dimensions are in metres but not 100% sure.

Dewsbury 92 x 62
Batley 98 x 65
Fev 88 x 70
York 90 x 60
Hunslet 94 x 64
Sheffield 88 x 66

So why all the fuss about our pitch being small?

Fev is shorter and York is narrower, or is it me?

Don't answer that I know the response!! :rolleyes:

#69 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

31 to 7 penalty count.Thats a penalty conceeded nearly every 2 mins,In one of the recent s/l matches.The ref called the captains and warned them that due to the high count.He would sin bin the next player that gave away a penalty.Did he warn our capt did he *ollocks.One thing i never complaining about his teams being offside both teams being guilty of it.Same on Sunday if we were guilty so Leigh players were equally guilty.The ref watched one team and one team only.Cant blame the lads for the performance the cheat in the middle stopped us from playing.Its alrite we also know theres another team in the H.W.he hates.

The ref from Sunday can leave his whistle for his next game,he's touch judge for wakefield - Leeds game on Friday,hope he stays there !!

#70 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Whilst we certainly can't blame the ref for our downfall on Sunday but I honestly believe his whistle blowing antics spoilt any chance of us putting any type game together.

Why were we penalised in the second half when clearly the Leigh man on the floor and off side was snatching at the the acting half's feet? (one of many bizarre decisions)

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#71 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Its no compliment, that's for sure. Let's just say it means you look a little bit closer to your ancestors than you might care to be.

By the way, I think that you're kidding us about your ignorance. According to the Cambridge dictionary your spelling is right and BSJ spelt it wrongly.

No he is not kiding you - grucker isn't the sharpest knife in the box, but I assume he can use spell check :lol: . On the other hand, maybe BSJ wasn't likening Beswick to one of the higher primates but to a native of symi - a small island of inbreds just off Rhodes. :o

#72 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sorry equalizer, but refs dont cheat - most of them are SL ref wannabes, and they are assessed, so cheats would soon be picked out. They can be incompetent though, and unfortunately some are, BUT the ref on sunday didn't wave the traffic through like a Turin policeman, he didn't fall off tackles, kick without purpose or direction, or demonstrate a lack of ideas. The penalty count in itself is a bit of a giveaway - most sides might have twigged that the ref had their card marked after the first dozen - we apparently didn't. So actually we can blame the lads, but they will hopefully learn by the experience and give a much improved performance next week.

#73 legin

legin
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Equalizer ,
the ref gave a total of 31 penalties 12-19

#74 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

According to league express penalty count was 12-18 !!!!!!

#75 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Any more drivel where that one came from? Please tell us how much Pryce is on and confirm that Penky switched from 'Fax to you for peanuts; Beswick may look a bit symian but I guess that he also plays for money.

Penky costs peanuts his dad employs him and sponsors the club. You too could run an expensive FT squad like us if you spent better

Edited by sweaty craiq, 19 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#76 S.T.R

S.T.R
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm getting to the same stage as Ossy, this is not the game I grew up playing and watching, its become sterile and boring
When I want your opinion, I will remove the gaffer tape

#77 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm getting to the same stage as Ossy, this is not the game I grew up playing and watching, its become sterile and boring

Didn't your dad used to tell you the same thing though STR?

All sports adapt and change and no-one will stop it. We either enjoy the ride or get off when we start to feel sick.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#78 S.T.R

S.T.R
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

No my dad is like me, he walked out about ten minutes in to the second half, he said he was glad he hadn't wasted money on a season ticket this year The Rfl have ruined the best game in the world
When I want your opinion, I will remove the gaffer tape

#79 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

No my dad is like me, he walked out about ten minutes in to the second half, he said he was glad he hadn't wasted money on a season ticket this year The Rfl have ruined the best game in the world

Strange how these comments never arise when teams win!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#80 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

With a cooler head, our key players probably have only about 30 first team games between them, so not surprising we lack composure etc..

Gallagher left the game with what might have been a broken nose. Aizue was not on the field long, which left us with just Spicer and Nash as experienced players. Yes Pryce was on the field but not much more than that. Why he didn't do the field kicking is beyond me, the kicks he put in against Featherstone were the biggest ever seen at our ground. But guess it is up to GM to get him to shape up or leave. I thought he would be just here for a few games, get match fit and then go off to a lower end SL team, but it looks like he can't even be bothered to do that. Baffling.

When we get Craven, Hepworth, Jones and Buchanan back, we'll be in a better state. Really need to beat Keighley, as doubt we will get even a bonus point against Batley and Halifax.

Lots of comments about Karl Pryce not getting involved, but how often do we take the ball out to his side? Not that often, it tends to go the other way. Also have to agree about the drop kicks. We saw how far he can whelp the ball in the Fev match, but instead Jymel was taking the drops from under the posts and making 30 yards.....this must be the coach...? I think the biggest issue is the captaincy and to be honest I don't think we have an option. Certainly it's not Rob. The other experienced option would be Gallagher, but he can't be on the field for more than 20 mins a game. Austin is the only one I can think of with the right character, but with hindsight I think GM might have boobed here. lots of new players, but little in the way of captaincy material might well be our downfall. Bring back Chappy I say......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users