Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Matthew Johns: Sorry bro, but Johnathan Thurston will be better than you

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Unfortunately in 1989 when Gregory played for Illawarra they came last in the Comp 16th from 16 teams, Andy only played in nine of those games where they won 1, drew one and lost seven.

Allan Langer is always mentioned among the greats but, on 2 Kangaroos tours, he looked ordinary and was displaced both times by Ricky Stuart - a player with just about the most sumptuous passing and kicking game imaginable.

I don't know what Warrington fans think of Langer's stint with them - but I remember only a mediocre performer who, nonetheless, returned to Australia and put in a man-of-the-match performance for Queensland in the State of Origin...

#42 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Best British halfback pairing -- Murphy and Millward

Best Australian halfback pairing -Lewis and Sterling

Best I ever saw - Wally Lewis

#43 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Sinfield is head and shoulders above them both :P

#44 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Murphy was the best ever, without question.

Who cares what shape anyone's body was? Are great players to be excluded from a list because they were short, or podgy, or tall, or thin? Billy Boston was a big fat lad too, and the best in the world were terrified of him.

Sorry, but I just don't buy into all the hype about Thurston, he is a good player without doubt, but the best half-back ever? Give me a break. Then again, Andrew Johns was so good that he had to resort to playing at hooker to get into the Australian side at one point. Does anyone think that really great players such as Lewis or Kenny would have to do that?

But Hannibal, Kenny an out and out Standoff played two thirds of his Test matches at Center to make way for Lewis at Stand off in the Kangaroos.

Would Sam Backo or John "Dallas" Donnelly be Test Props nowadays? I do not think so regardless of their Skills.

Skills are only one part of the equation, the ability to compete and deliver those Skills are another.
Next you will be saying a Short Fat Lad that passes and that kicks the ball better than anyone else would make the grade even if he only played for 50 minutes and every opposition team targeted him as a slow paced player that could be run around or worn out easily.

The game has moved on, you need the skills and the physique in that roll to deliver those skills.

Show me the fat unfit player that is at the top of the game?

Edited by AndyCapp, 17 March 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#45 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I think Cooper Cronk is playing better than Thurston at this moment in time. Cronk looked the much better player in the Melbourne v Cowboys game. If Cronk carries on this form for the next 2 years maybe the baton won't be passed onto Thurston.

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Allan Langer is always mentioned among the greats but, on 2 Kangaroos tours, he looked ordinary and was displaced both times by Ricky Stuart - a player with just about the most sumptuous passing and kicking game imaginable.

I don't know what Warrington fans think of Langer's stint with them - but I remember only a mediocre performer who, nonetheless, returned to Australia and put in a man-of-the-match performance for Queensland in the State of Origin...

Langers pedigree was earned in the SOO series. He was a Halfback similar to Terry Lamb at 5/8.
He was a competitor. Not the fastest or the slickest but drove his team on to win when they should have lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users