Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Second half tackle/yardage count

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Just jogged back through the second half of last night's game as I was curious about how much possession the two teams had. It confirmed my impressions: give or take one or two, I made it Sheffield had 91 carries/play-the-balls in the 2nd half compared with Fev's 63. That's why we lost; it's almost impossible to beat a good team with that difference in possession. Penalties and giving the ball up are what we need to improve upon.

However, on a positive note, I made it (very roughly) that from those 63 carries in the 2nd half we made around 595 yards compared with around 550 for Sheffield from 28 carries more. It was conceding penalties and completing our sets, rather than our overall play, which cost us last night, and that at least is something we can work on.

#2 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sheffield were incapable of making 30 meters in their own half without intervention for the referee. How many times did they manage to get out of their an half without a penalty?
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#3 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Sheffields Kicking game killed us last night, out defence was fantastic even though we let in five trys we could not have ask any more from the forwards. Just a little bit of luck and it would have been a win cracking game of Rugby.

#4 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Each week fans seem to complain that we're getting killed at times by the penalty count against us. Could it perhaps be down to something other than the refs, at least in part? ;) :unsure:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#5 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Each week fans seem to complain that we're getting killed at times by the penalty count against us. Could it perhaps be down to something other than the refs, at least in part? ;) :unsure:

Spot on. The only thing I might say is that there has been so much made of our supposed tactics at the play-the-ball by one or two coaches (and others) that it may be that subconsciously some referees are more aware of it. But the bottom line is it's up to us not to give the referees the chance to pull us up. But the comments that you sometimes see about supposedly anti-Fev refs or "corruption" are clearly ludicrous.

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Spot on. The only thing I might say is that there has been so much made of our supposed tactics at the play-the-ball by one or two coaches (and others) that it may be that subconsciously some referees are more aware of it. But the bottom line is it's up to us not to give the referees the chance to pull us up. But the comments that you sometimes see about supposedly anti-Fev refs or "corruption" are clearly ludicrous.

Subconcious or not, we need to learn to play the refs better. If we're persistantly getting pulled for the same thing at the start of the game, cut it out!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#7 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Subconcious or not, we need to learn to play the refs better. If we're persistantly getting pulled for the same thing at the start of the game, cut it out!

agree 100%

#8 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

The fact is we group tackle and more than not put the player on his back that's why coaches think we slow PTB down What should be said is that Fev tackle technique is excellent and allows then to control the game

#9 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Sheffields Kicking game killed us last night, out defence was fantastic even though we let in five trys we could not have ask any more from the forwards. Just a little bit of luck and it would have been a win cracking game of Rugby.

Been moaning for the past two seasons that our tactical and in play kicking trails far behind some of our opposition. Why do we have to battle from our lines, time after time, when a clinical kick can push the opposition downfield and hopefully keep them pinned down there.
We fell for the three card trick, allowing Sheffield to funnel us down the centre of the park. Played too flat and did not get the ball out along the line.
PS In contrast to some opinions, we have a right to express our views upon the state of play.

#10 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

The fact is we group tackle and more than not put the player on his back that's why coaches think we slow PTB down What should be said is that Fev tackle technique is excellent and allows then to control the game

Nail on the head here! Our techique is first class, and to be honest we dont give may penalties for lying on, its the pens we do not get for when other teams use poor technique and get away with it. Last night we mullered sheff in the forrards yet they were allowed to crab round players on the floor of lock legs in etc etc, I have said it for the past two years its all about the pens we are not getting. Take the stats from op its stands to reason forrards making them yards are winning the collision yet we won not one pen at the ruck and also did not benefit from the space winning the floor should give!

My view is this we should keep a low profile and let Sheffield take the pressure of being the top team and do what Aston and Harrison do and Highlight and try and influnce the ref

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#11 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Nail on the head here! Our techique is first class, and to be honest we dont give may penalties for lying on, its the pens we do not get for when other teams use poor technique and get away with it. Last night we mullered sheff in the forrards yet they were allowed to crab round players on the floor of lock legs in etc etc, I have said it for the past two years its all about the pens we are not getting. Take the stats from op its stands to reason forrards making them yards are winning the collision yet we won not one pen at the ruck and also did not benefit from the space winning the floor should give!

My view is this we should keep a low profile and let Sheffield take the pressure of being the top team and do what Aston and Harrison do and Highlight and try and influnce the ref

Which happens in every game we play, Fev have got a reputation for controlling the play of the ball (I wont call it laying on, its just an English concept cop out for when the Australians perfect something), so we'll always get penalized more than any other team who also do it, because it was Dirty Fev that brought it into our right and pure game.

Cummins Out.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Sometimes, when you take the game to the edge, you fall off it.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#13 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Sometimes, when you take the game to the edge, you fall off it.

Richie I'm not blaming the ref for our loss last night but he penalised us on many occasions for holding down and us being offside at the PTB. If we were offside and holding down so were you guys too. But hewer penalised us for it every time and let your eagles off with it every time. I don't mind a ref pulling us up for any infringement as long as he's fair and does the same to the opposition when they obviously should be penalised. Every time we played the ball we were able to make one pass and then we were on the floor no team as a line speed that quick not even us. We lost to the better team on the night I accept that but I don't accept the eagles were squeaky clean all through out the match no team can be that squeaky clean no matter what you say hewer did favour your team.

Edited by thundergaz, 15 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#14 ROVERS83

ROVERS83
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

So just to clarify the situation , Gareth hewer only saw 3 occasions in a high intensity match to penalise the eagles...
The decision just before half time not to award a penalty for interference on worthingtin was nothing short of ludicrous , the following set of six from the resulting scrum saw two forward passes , and then the bounce of the ball saw the teams go in at 12-10 hardly a reflection on the halfs play .
I may be bias but I just didn't see us beaten by the better team , it was just one of those nights when nothing went or us
is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

#15 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

So just to clarify the situation , Gareth hewer only saw 3 occasions in a high intensity match to penalise the eagles...
The decision just before half time not to award a penalty for interference on worthingtin was nothing short of ludicrous , the following set of six from the resulting scrum saw two forward passes , and then the bounce of the ball saw the teams go in at 12-10 hardly a reflection on the halfs play .
I may be bias but I just didn't see us beaten by the better team , it was just one of those nights when nothing went or us

Spot on!

I well accept the team being penalised for infringements of the rules. You commit the crime, you do the time (so to speak). But how many times have we seen the opposition committing the same infringement and yet not being penalised?

We were the better team for most of last nights game. we made a couple of crucial errors. As a result, the eagles got lucky for two of their try's and we weren't able to get the ball out wide effectively because the opposition spent most of the game standing in front of the ref ensuring we were closed down quickly.
That's when the referee should ensure that both teams are policed equally. It doesn't help the cause either when he regularly marks the defensive line less that 10 metres away.

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Oh - of course. The ref was biassed. I see it all now.

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Oh - of course. The ref was biassed. I see it all now.

a cracking game between 2 quality teams, as albert finney would say "all the rest is propaganda"
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

a cracking game between 2 quality teams, as albert finney would say "all the rest is propaganda"

It was, mate. It would still have been a great game if you'd won.

#19 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

It was, mate. It would still have been a great game if you'd won.

Great game played by the best 2 teams in the comp. hopefully for us it works in our favour this year by losing the not so important games and winning when it matters like your eagles team seem to have sussed. But have you peaked too early Richie boy this time around? You don't normally start playing while the play offs😄😄😄

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Great game played by the best 2 teams in the comp. hopefully for us it works in our favour this year by losing the not so important games and winning when it matters like your eagles team seem to have sussed. But have you peaked too early Richie boy this time around? You don't normally start playing while the play offs

That's right. It's our financial prudence plan - don't win too many games.

#winitfromeighthplace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users