Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Amazing international press

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I've just turned 43 and watched my first game at mount pleasant in 1983, like you all I fell in love with the game I would have gone as far to say I would have died for the game at one stage in life!
I read the hype about our game and believed it all but after 30 years of reading the same stuff I believe very little these days.
I hope one day our greatest game gets somewhere near the hype of the dreadful tripe that has been dished up in this years 6 nations, the poor skills the lack of action, the lack of tries is completely forgotten.
It takes me back to the laughable days of will carlings England team in comparison to the all conquering Wigan team( have to say Widnes circa 89 where better on the eye IMO ).
If we can get this game appreciated , get the marketing right, get the tv and press on board wow we could show them.
I live abroad these days but hope you all get together as the amazing rugby league community and make Britain see what we have, I'm doing some rugby coaching in Montenegro these days but it is like the days of when are game was born, the guys love RL but are not allowed to play because of the upper classes that are pushing RU, it's like reading a passage or two from the forbidden game!
Take your kids, take your friends, they will love it; I've taken many a friend along who like us have become hooked for life.

#2 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Keep the faith, our game is the greatest.

This years six nations kickathon is the worst and lowest standard in living memory

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

This illustrates something though. The 6N can be as poor as anything but RU fans won't suddenly abandon the game or its the end of the world. Whereas RL fans (and journos) will loudly declare how bad things are. If questioned about it they will simply say they are 'telling it like it is' and tell you that its not their job to be a RL cheerleader.

#4 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

That's the point, we say it how it is , a spade is a spade, we love perfection in attack and defence whilst they only concentrate on the scraps of positivity

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

That's the point, we say it how it is , a spade is a spade, we love perfection in attack and defence whilst they only concentrate on the scraps of positivity

And that has got us...where? It seems talking out of your ass is the way to prosper.

#6 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Maybe it's a northern thing. I don't take any satisfaction out of putting certain aspects of how we do things down, but I'm not going to make positives out of something that isn't there. Honesty is brutal, but I'd rather be honest than pull the wool over my eyes.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Maybe it's a northern thing. I don't take any satisfaction out of putting certain aspects of how we do things down, but I'm not going to make positives out of something that isn't there. Honesty is brutal, but I'd rather be honest than pull the wool over my eyes.

Yeah, enjoy your honesty as RL is sidelined for a sea of hogwash. Still, as long as we're realistic, that's all that matters.

#8 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

There is right in both your answers, so a balance of the 2 would be perfect. We don't have time for endless replays of super slow mo action due to the nature of the game, the game exposes any weakness and when you get an idiot like Stevo concentrating on the negative rather than the positive it sends out the wrong message.
I used to go to all our international matches and never left early, I felt I was doing my duty to Rugby League by ensuring my one seat was taken; I suppose I never felt the same after the crushing defeat by the Aussies at Elland road around 10 years ago. It was not the manner of the defeat that hurt as I actually believed I witnessed some superb rugby from the Aussies , it was the trip to the George Hotel on the way home, a crumbling outdated pathetic attempt to chart the history of our game; I could not believe that is all we had and it seemed to kill my passion in a heartbeat.
I hope more love , passion and optimism can run through the veins of the RL fans again and make the Rugby League World Cup an event to be celebrated.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I don't watch the 6N but how is the tournament perceived by the BBC pundits? Can they see it's poor and will openly criticise it or do they put a positive spin on things regardless? Are the crowd victims of the Emperor's new clothes? I do agree with Johnoco though, talking out of your ass is the way to prosper, not just in sports coverage but in British life generally. Too many people who spout BS get on in this country. Rant over.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Its true though dp. When RL is in a stronger position then it can afford to be so self critical. But unless we have a bit of talking things up, its unlikely to get there.
Take this season, its pretty good IMO with a lot of unpredictable games. But the preview in the press? It went something like 'why bother, big 4 will dominate....yadda yadda'. It certainly wouldn't entice any casual/potential viewers.

And the BBC will generally gloss over things but there are some critics who do, er, criticise it. The difference is there is always a counter viewpoint ie 'so there were no trys, it was still a great battle'. Whereas in RL all we get are voices of doom saying its all pointless.

Edited by Johnoco, 16 March 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#11 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Good thread.

You need to get in touch with Danny K at the RFL Ian and who knows you could end up coaching a new RFL outlet in the Balkans. :rolleyes:

Hype is everything.

Much better to have Phil Clarke and Jon Wells brimming with obvious ' over the top ' enthusiasm than anything else.

All too often we concentrate on the negatives in our game. Take last night for instance , as a pie eater myself I fell into the trap as well . Josh got it wrong a couple of times ( and I dare say that Wane will tell him in due course ) and I was looking for a dog to kick . But the RFU and it's media would instead dwell on the Leeds ' brilliant , undefendable cross kicks ' that Josh tried to diffuse as best he could whilst under incredible pressure..........

Positive spin is everything. And it's not lying. Targeting Charnley last night was in the Leeds game plan. That aspect , and his honest efforts to hold his corner , are both worthy of celebration. We have a great game and we need to be evangelical about it instead of constantly beating ourselves up......

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

But the preview in the press? It went something like 'why bother, big 4 will dominate....yadda yadda'. It certainly wouldn't entice any casual/potential viewers.

I take it that was a preview of the 2012/13 English Premier League? That's the problem though John. No matter how much the fans talk up the game (and I'm not suggesting they do it nearly enough) the media, the people of influence, have a, on the whole, negative image and preconception of RL. Whereas the EPL could produce some of the most boring entertainment around and we'd be reading reams of newsprint telling us how wonderful it all is.

Edited by deluded pom?, 16 March 2013 - 10:13 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Correct del. Its a bit like getting a partner. Before or on your first date you don't tell them all the bad things about you. You dress yourself up a bit and do your tie up and turn on the silver tongue...lol, well try anyway.
What RL does is turn up at the first date or even rings up beforehand to tell the potential partner about their habit of farting in bed or their collection of teapots. And then it wonders why it doesn't get that second date. Mind you, sat at the next table is a domineering mother (RL Journos) telling it 'I told you you were useless'.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I take it that was a preview of the 2012/13 English Premier League? That's the problem though John. No matter how much the fans talk up the game (and I'm not suggesting they do it nearly enough) the media, the people of influence, have a, on the whole, negative image and preconception of RL. Whereas the EPL could produce some of the most boring entertainment around and we'd be reading reams of newsprint telling us how wonderful it all is.

If the general medias only source of info about RL is people like Chris Irvine then I'm not surprised they think its all going t¡ts up in RL.

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Correct del. Its a bit like getting a partner. Before or on your first date you don't tell them all the bad things about you. You dress yourself up a bit and do your tie up and turn on the silver tongue...lol, well try anyway.
What RL does is turn up at the first date or even rings up beforehand to tell the potential partner about their habit of farting in bed or their collection of teapots. And then it wonders why it doesn't get that second date. Mind you, sat at the next table is a domineering mother (RL Journos) telling it 'I told you you were useless'.

It would be better if RL was seen through Jack Black's eyes in Shallow Hal.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Dont delude yourself that the media and marketing are the big factor in a sport's popularity. It's history and culture. Which is why a sport can be massively succesful in one country and irrelevant in another. Just enjoy our great game, bang the drum and dream of bigger things by all means, but at some point you have to accept that the vast majority of people dont choose their sports based on entertainment value. There are many sports active in the UK that can only dream of being as popular as RL. The obsession with RU gets us nowhere, we're a separate and popular sport, enjoy it.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

It would be better if RL was seen through Jack Black's eyes in Shallow Hal.

That'd do for starters, in fact its a good comparison because in the end he sees her inner beauty despite being attracted by another image in the first place.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Dont delude yourself that the media and marketing are the big factor in a sport's popularity. It's history and culture. Which is why a sport can be massively succesful in one country and irrelevant in another. Just enjoy our great game, bang the drum and dream of bigger things by all means, but at some point you have to accept that the vast majority of people dont choose their sports based on entertainment value. There are many sports active in the UK that can only dream of being as popular as RL. The obsession with RU gets us nowhere, we're a separate and popular sport, enjoy it.

Good sentiments and I for one don't know or care about RU. But I know enough to know they don't constantly talk their game down. As for marketing? Its a massive part of sport today and we can't escape that. Things like the 6N have long been popular but look at all the promotion in pubs etc...its all marketing designed to grow the popularity of RU.
I don't even want it to be the case that nobody can tell the truth, lets have it. But lets also have a bit less dirty washing aired in public and less 'the game is doomed' talk.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

. Things like the 6N have long been popular but look at all the promotion in pubs etc...its all marketing designed to grow the popularity of RU.

It also creates the perception in the punters eyes that the 6N is an event not to be missed.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Good thread.

You need to get in touch with Danny K at the RFL Ian and who knows you could end up coaching a new RFL outlet in the Balkans. :rolleyes:

Forget Danny K-waste of time and he will just pass you on to Jovan Vujesevic (sp?). Ian you can get hold of Jovan at the Serbian RL as he is the Development Officer for the Balkan Region and a top lad. I know he has got a team or two in Bosnia. And think was looking around Kosovo area to do something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users