Amazing international press

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I might drop him a tweet and point out that we can't compete with international football either for that matter.

Drop him and Schofield and Irvine and whoever a tweet asking if they have bought their ticket yet? After all that's how seats get filled.

Sometimes these incessent doom-mongers are such a pain "telling it like it is". <_< :angry:

Don't sit on sidelines and swipe just because you're not famous anymore, help, you know so there is a bright future in this bleak ###### country.

edit: ranty bit removed!

Edited by hindle xiii, 18 March 2013 - 11:15 AM.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Does anyone else imagine this in the Goulding household?

"Dad, Dad. I've been named in the 19-man squad for the trip to Saints on Friday",
"Have you son? You'll never be as good as Tim Smith".

Somehow I don't, yet that's what he's tweeted about our game.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Partly true, I think we are more used to demanding value for money as the established professional sport but I think we are also less 'accepting' of propaganda. Whereas many if not almost all union fans seem to be content to swallow the myth and discuss the drama without necessarily commenting on the quality, we cannot wait to go for the jugular. Maybe the dog eat dog nature of our club game is at fault, encouraging a culture of blame and short-termism.

I think you are being unfair to RU fans here. You may not see it but RU fans enjoy RU. Whereas you may think that it lacks quality, RU fans don't. RU fans aren't ignorant, naive or easily fooled as it appears you make out. They perhaps are just a bit more optimistic about their sport than RL fans.
Fides invicta triumphat

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,543 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think you are being unfair to RU fans here. You may not see it but RU fans enjoy RU. Whereas you may think that it lacks quality, RU fans don't. RU fans aren't ignorant, naive or easily fooled as it appears you make out. They perhaps are just a bit more optimistic about their sport than RL fans.

I don't think he was being nasty to RU fans, just saying what you said....more optimistic.

#45 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Unintentionally possibly; I think as a 'breed' you are more glass half full than glass half empty, more likely to enjoy the occasion without debating the minutiae of the game quality, less likely to immediately decry the crowd announcement as spin, less likely to call for coach/chairman/board/everyone to be sacked if a game plan goes wrong.

In terms of the qualities of the respective sports, that is a separate issue but I do make a policy of trying to avoid negativity in my approach to union as I believe slagging off the favourite sport/team of a potential convert is likely to turn people off.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#46 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Unintentionally possibly; I think as a 'breed' you are more glass half full than glass half empty, more likely to enjoy the occasion without debating the minutiae of the game quality, less likely to immediately decry the crowd announcement as spin, less likely to call for coach/chairman/board/everyone to be sacked if a game plan goes wrong.

In terms of the qualities of the respective sports, that is a separate issue but I do make a policy of trying to avoid negativity in my approach to union as I believe slagging off the favourite sport/team of a potential convert is likely to turn people off.

but union is complete dross though

#47 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

but union is complete dross though

I might agree with a fellow RL fan in private, but I'm unconvinced that telling people their favourite sport is ###### gravy is entirely productive if you want to get them paying to watch rugby league.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#48 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I might agree with a fellow RL fan in private, but I'm unconvinced that telling people their favourite sport is ###### gravy is entirely productive if you want to get them paying to watch rugby league.

I do it all the time. Im not here to brainwash people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users