Sky 3D

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think 3D is a gimmick whose days are numbered. Once 8k TV's come about - no idea when that would be, let's pluck 15 years out of the air - then it'll be like being there anyway. As for the poor camera angles, they have to use different cameras and as there's only a finite amount of space available at the grounds they tend to be the low down spots. I watched the first half of Friday's game in 3d and enjoyed it well enough but then watched the second in HD.
As for, the many, saying HD is ###### and no better than SD then either a)their telly is rubbish b)they've got the settings wrong c)they've bought a HD TV but dont realise that this doesnt magically give them HD pictures or more probably d)their eyesight is very bad. Or maybe all four!

#22 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Apparently the BBC reckons that the future lies in what's known as Super HD as well, and they usually know what they're talking about when it comes to the tech side of things.The only people who seem to be plugging 3D to any extent now appear to be Sky Sports.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Apparently the BBC reckons that the future lies in what's known as Super HD as well, and they usually know what they're talking about when it comes to the tech side of things.The only people who seem to be plugging 3D to any extent now appear to be Sky Sports.

The movies market is the biggest driver of 3D.

Sky are the only platform with the capability to provide live 3D sport and make money from it, so it's natural that they will be the only ones pushing it.

#24 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I enjoyed the game in 3D. Yes they sometimes failed to follow the ball but these things happen. We also didn't have to put up with the innane ramblings of Eddie and Stevo. At least Barrie Mac is amusing.

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think 3D is a gimmick whose days are numbered. Once 8k TV's come about - no idea when that would be, let's pluck 15 years out of the air - then it'll be like being there anyway.

15 years is a long time!

As for the poor camera angles, they have to use different cameras and as there's only a finite amount of space available at the grounds they tend to be the low down spots.

I don't understand why they can't use the 3D cameras in the spots the HD cameras are in now, but just send out a 2D signal for normal Sky Sports?

I watched the first half of Friday's game in 3d and enjoyed it well enough but then watched the second in HD.

But surely if its supposed to be a step up in coverage, you wouldn't want to switch back to a "lesser" format? It's like saying "I watched the first half in HD and enjoyed it well enough but then watched the second half in SD." Clearly it's not a step up if you felt the need to switch back, and that's the point I'm making!

As for, the many, saying HD is ###### and no better than SD then either a)their telly is rubbish b)they've got the settings wrong c)they've bought a HD TV but dont realise that this doesnt magically give them HD pictures or more probably d)their eyesight is very bad. Or maybe all four!

Can't argue there. There's a HUGE difference!
Posted Image

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,956 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

We also didn't have to put up with the innane ramblings of Eddie and Stevo. At least Barrie Mac is amusing.

I knew, if I hung around long enough, that I would finally agree with one of your posts. :)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't understand why they can't use the 3D cameras in the spots the HD cameras are in now, but just send out a 2D signal for normal Sky Sports?

Firstly, maybe there is not enough space in the traditional gantries?

Secondly, I think they need different angles to make the 3D 'work'. At the couple of games I have seen they have had three positions along the touchline instead of the 1 from a central gantry. Interestingly though they don't do this for football and I don't think football works for the main view. Where football does work though is the wide range of angles at things like corners, goal kicks, close ups of throw ins etc.
RL has gone with a different approach and seems to play on making the defensive line clear, and in the main it works.
I didn;t see the Leeds game, so I can't comment on the angles there but at Warrington and Wigan I thought it was good.

#28 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I knew, if I hung around long enough, that I would finally agree with one of your posts. :)

I'd really rather you didn't. Don't want to think I've come down to your level ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users