Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town v Batley score updates

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Best team won. We deserved a BP. So with a truly awful ref who gave us no 50/50 decisions and was inconsistent and 5 players out atleast we can say it was an improvement on the York game.

#22 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Lots of effort lots of commitment but I'm afraid in this league it isn't enough . You must be able to do the basics in attack and defence , and if you can't defend your line , can't collect bombs , can't cut out silly errors and can't speed up your ball and take your chances your always gonna be rowing uphill and end up second best . They just did everything needed - go forward , no errors , long kicks and smother chase , defend your line and take your opportunities . We have a lot to learn , how many times are we gonna say we should have won ... Still naive and still lacking zip and penetration in the middle , and still an awfully slow passing game . It's a harsh lesson league isn't it ? On the plus side Walne and Acton outstanding , Lawton very good and only getting better , Elliot good return and Forber very bright and must start . Good effort but not enough at this standard unfortunately . That last try was a killer , definitely deserved a point , but not to be .

Yep, sums it up nicely, but more precisely its Hulme 'can't collect bombs' ? Thought Coyle did OK. Lupton kicking game not so bad.

We need some pace around the pack.

No BP, gutted!

#23 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Aye fair enough , great when you've come from Super League !! Their kicking game though was the best I've seen here for a long time .. Ben Black absolutely priceless behind a pack rumbling on . He got tackled in the 79 th minute !!! Nice highlight was Brett smashing big Rowe !!

#24 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Its fustrating for use fans, we know players dont go out to make mistakes, but simple things like a bomb goes up on last tackle towards the wing with approx 90 seconds left , why do we try to jump twenty feet high and knock on, when will we ever learn :(

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

The 3 tries Batley scored in the first half were through our very poor defence and some of the players should be embarrassed when they watch the video and see how bad their defence was. We got back in to the game at 12 - 18 and then a decision by the touch judge (who hadn't seen anything all the first half) said that Town had dragged a Batley player in to touch with the ref Stokes as near watching and instead of a scrum to Town it was a penalty to them and they scored.

Referees and TJ's do influence results and every up and under they put up there was at least 3 or 4 Batley players in front of the kicker who got within the 10 metres, maybe that's why young Hulme dropped one such high ball. Only 2 penalties for offside all the match and both went to Batley and only 1 forward pass against Town.

I thought we started too flat and looked lacking in energy until we were 6 - 18 down. Brett Carter is too brave for his own good at times and puts his body on the line time after time. We seemed to get the ball out to Elliott Miller more in this game than we have done to our wingers in all our previous games and Elliott looked a threat each time.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#26 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

coyle is a waste of space, his kicking game is woeful, he cant pass and his defence is shocking. if we had 13 brett carters we would be fine, he gives absolutely everything and puts his body on the line each and every game. great to have elliot back, finally we have some pace in attack. acton was the best forward by a country mile, and walne was really good, and lawton showed up well but other than them 3 i dont think our pack done enough but thats down to our awful tactics rather than there abilities. why we didnt start forber, who really livened us up when he came on, and put lupton at loose is beyond me. we missed stack in attack and boy do we desperately need matty back for haven which is an absolute must win.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

That was a crucial decision by the flag waver ...that was dominant defence and Stokesy was ok with it . Then the same touchie sees Eliot put a pinky on the line when he scores. Why do we always get the odd touchie who gets involved !!! Mossop bombing an easy try was very poor to and yes the defence ... Well running from dummy half and plonking it down says it all . Groundhog Day is becoming frustrating . We have the chances , these teams are beatable but we just lack the nouse , the zip and creativity and line defence at crucial times to get us home .

#28 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

The halves must change now . Connor is no centre from what I see , and Forber looks to have found some real form and confidence . They must see the realities in front of them or it'll be eternal Groundhog Day .

#29 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

coyle is a waste of space, his kicking game is woeful, he cant pass and his defence is shocking. if we had 13 brett carters we would be fine, he gives absolutely everything and puts his body on the line each and every game. great to have elliot back, finally we have some pace in attack. acton was the best forward by a country mile, and walne was really good, and lawton showed up well but other than them 3 i dont think our pack done enough but thats down to our awful tactics rather than there abilities. why we didnt start forber, who really livened us up when he came on, and put lupton at loose is beyond me. we missed stack in attack and boy do we desperately need matty back for haven which is an absolute must win.

i have to agree with you on the coyle wonky. We are desperate for a HB.they deserved their win but i thought the officials spoiled the game. It was yet again a case of the opposition having a higher intensity level with and without the ball than we did. One positive is it was a big improvement on last week

#30 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

The halves must change now . Connor is no centre from what I see , and Forber looks to have found some real form and confidence . They must see the realities in front of them or it'll be eternal Groundhog Day .

i can just here Sonny and Cher ,and see Bill Murray knocking the alarm clock off lol
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sonny and Cher , aye they'll do , they'll have a real understanding and that Cher has a hell of a kicking game.

#32 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I hope the Ref's okay, he seemed to be carrying a neck injury where he was unable to look left and right when standing in the Batley line

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#33 Luggsy the legend

Luggsy the legend
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well I thought you would have turned the dogs over today when I seen the local rag saying they had 8 players missing I thought you would do us a favour but there goes obviously still to strong for you. Don't want to talk to much about The rams as we were given another lesson by a very Strong Leigh team and I thought getting beat by Barrow was bad.

#34 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

i have to agree with you on the coyle wonky. We are desperate for a HB.they deserved their win but i thought the officials spoiled the game. It was yet again a case of the opposition having a higher intensity level with and without the ball than we did. One positive is it was a big improvement on last week

black could have played in a dinner jacket today,superb display by the Batley half,thought Peter Lupton put in a few nice touches today today ,especially his kicks down the line on the grandstand side,but he really does need to be at loose .
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Had to laugh at Coxy coming home ... ' well that's 30-16 , think that's no bonus point for town , let me work that out , mmm yes no bonus point for town ... Whitehaven winning 30-20 here '

#36 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well I thought you would have turned the dogs over today when I seen the local rag saying they had 8 players missing I thought you would do us a favour but there goes obviously still to strong for you. Don't want to talk to much about The rams as we were given another lesson by a very Strong Leigh team and I thought getting beat by Barrow was bad.

good old luggsy from whitehaven makes appearance. Lol

#37 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Black did play in a full dinner suit , he went right off the pitch to the ambassadors ball... The ferrero Rocher will taste sweet.

#38 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

We can't all keep saying we need a new half-back because we must all be wrong. I don't know what the coaches see different to us fans but it seems that we are all the one's that are wrong. I would like to see a half-back combination of Connor and Forber for a couple of games but I can't honestly see us getting that and we will get more and more of the same old, same old.

Peter Lupton of a few years ago would have had 2 or 3 breaks today but because he isn't as fast as he used to be he got caught. A much quicker half-back would have been through on those occasions. We certainly need to try different combinations and different plays as we are very predictable. It was nice to see young Callum, Mossop and Miller working a very narrow side for our first try.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#39 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

We can't all keep saying we need a new half-back because we must all be wrong. I don't know what the coaches see different to us fans but it seems that we are all the one's that are wrong. I would like to see a half-back combination of Connor and Forber for a couple of games but I can't honestly see us getting that and we will get more and more of the same old, same old.

Peter Lupton of a few years ago would have had 2 or 3 breaks today but because he isn't as fast as he used to be he got caught. A much quicker half-back would have been through on those occasions. We certainly need to try different combinations and different plays as we are very predictable. It was nice to see young Callum, Mossop and Miller working a very narrow side for our first try.

everyone wants to see connor at half.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#40 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

No not the refs fault . We're getting some harsh calls but we' re kidding ourselves if we keep saying that I'm afraid . Yes Keith agreed . Lupton has lost that yard and is now crying out to be 13 . I'd try Connor n Carl to , and we desperately need Matty to give that thrust , as young Callum isn't giving as much of that as I'd like . A spell off the bench against tiring sides may be better for him for a while as he's also taking a battering with players running at him a lot . But yes you do feel like your banging your head against a wall with all this . How bigs Haven now ? Doesn't even bare thinking about ...

Edited by DavidM, 17 March 2013 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users