Town v Batley score updates

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

We can't control decisions so to go on is just going round in circles .We've got to work on and correct the mistakes we are in control of which are endemic in our game and hurt us week in week out. If we get our game right the refs are less of a factor , as alas they're not making silly errors , putting in rubbish kicks ,
looping awful passes and contributing to brittle defence. We can't look for easy outs , everyone down there needs to look at what's wrong and tweak it to learn the lessons and get it sharper .

Edited by DavidM, 17 March 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#62 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Generally, the standard of this division is such that any mistakes, by anyone on the pitch, are exploited. The best teams in this division play for a full 80 minutes and do not let their level slip at all. We have scored in the last minute of our last three matches now which pleases me.
You all seem to be saying the same things about your team. Experience would suggest that you need to change something because, even if it's a cliche, it's true, you keep doing the same things, you will keep getting the same results.
Oh and one other thing, Batley are a decent side, don't lose sight of that!!

distantdog yes batley are a decent side and deserved their win.

#63 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

We can't control decisions so to go on is just going round in circles .We've got to work on and correct the things we are in control of
which are hurting us week to week , and if we do that the refs will be less of a factor.

Absolutely correct. Don't look to blame everyone else because you cannot control that.

#64 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Without sounding daft I wasn't at the game so can't comment but I haven't heard anyone saying that Batley weren't the better team or didn't deserve to win. All that they are saying was that the ref was inconsistent and has cost Town a bonus point.
Is that correct or are other people reading comments I can't??

#65 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Ok, fair enough, we won purely because the ref and his AR's were cheats or incompetent! I sincerely hope that your coaches do not believe this because if they do, you will be playing elsewhere bext season.

Nobody on here has said that Batley won purely because of the refs performance so stop being a drama queen. Batley won because they outplayed us simple as but he only gave two penalties for offside all the game and we didn't even get one of them!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#66 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

No but all you want is a fair crack of the whip, we may well still have been beaten but when you watch the Ref the entire second half not turn his head either left or right when in the Batley defensive line, well you need to ask if he is up to the job of reffing at this level.

ref watches PTB. Comms system for input on offside with defensive line from TJs

#67 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

The 3 tries Batley scored in the first half were through our very poor defence and some of the players should be embarrassed when they watch the video and see how bad their defence was. We got back in to the game at 12 - 18 and then a decision by the touch judge (who hadn't seen anything all the first half) said that Town had dragged a Batley player in to touch with the ref Stokes as near watching and instead of a scrum to Town it was a penalty to them and they scored.

Referees and TJ's do influence results and every up and under they put up there was at least 3 or 4 Batley players in front of the kicker who got within the 10 metres, maybe that's why young Hulme dropped one such high ball. Only 2 penalties for offside all the match and both went to Batley and only 1 forward pass against Town.

I thought we started too flat and looked lacking in energy until we were 6 - 18 down. Brett Carter is too brave for his own good at times and puts his body on the line time after time. We seemed to get the ball out to Elliott Miller more in this game than we have done to our wingers in all our previous games and Elliott looked a threat each time.

Not TJ calling being dragged into touch. It is refs call. TJ merely signals that player is in touch

#68 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Not TJ calling being dragged into touch. It is refs call. TJ merely signals that player is in touch

Not on this occasion. Three Town players pushed the Batley player over the touchline and the ref looked as if he was going to give a scrum when he went over to the TJ and had words with him and gave a penalty to Batley.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#69 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

ref watches PTB. Comms system for input on offside with defensive line from TJs

sorry Marra you are wrong. The ref is responsible for all decisions on the pitch TJ's are their to assist.

#70 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Personally when they went down too 12 me we should have kicked a pen and built from there too me!! Gutted about not getting a bonus point today again we did perform against a top team but peformerances without points will not keep us in this league! We have a stand up and be counted trip to fev next week and are expected to be tonked but All I want too see is some of what was seen today to set up for Good Friday!! Acton was outstanding in attack today for me, Callum Phillips is a Trojan but we can't expect him to do everything he is still new to the game! It's apparent coyle was brought here for a reason and the coaches must see something in training to keep him travelling up!!
Olstrum and Thackeray I hope can return to the squad and help us push on as Rooney and matty also!
We are in a relegation battle at present as much as it pains me to say and we need to get out of this!! Up the town and Brett carter smashing there big prop was brilliant and worth the 14 quid alone! Rightly mom
Up the town and let's get to fev to cheer them on

#71 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Personally when they went down too 12 me we should have kicked a pen and built from there too me!! Gutted about not getting a bonus point today again we did perform against a top team but peformerances without points will not keep us in this league! We have a stand up and be counted trip to fev next week and are expected to be tonked but All I want too see is some of what was seen today to set up for Good Friday!! Acton was outstanding in attack today for me, Callum Phillips is a Trojan but we can't expect him to do everything he is still new to the game! It's apparent coyle was brought here for a reason and the coaches must see something in training to keep him travelling up!!
Olstrum and Thackeray I hope can return to the squad and help us push on as Rooney and matty also!
We are in a relegation battle at present as much as it pains me to say and we need to get out of this!! Up the town and Brett carter smashing there big prop was brilliant and worth the 14 quid alone! Rightly mom
Up the town and let's get to fev to cheer them on

i hope we don't risk any players for fev
no cumbrian club will get anyway near a BP there this year. Our priority is the jampots at home.beating the teams around you in the league is going to be key this season.

#72 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Agreed , five days before haven I'd be leaving a few players at home and giving guys like Robinson, Gaskell
, Coyle and any other fringe players a gig.

#73 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Poor kicking game in the first half , never once turned them around where as there 5th tackle plays where excellent - high towering bombs which exposed Hulme twice and good little grubbers with a well drilled kick chase finished their sets well. However we more than matched them for long periods and when we played a bit we got results. Key decisions at a vital time in the match turned the game. I will say no more on the referee its not worth my breath

#74 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Agreed , five days before haven I'd be leaving a few players at home and giving guys like Robinson, Gaskell
, Coyle and any other fringe players a gig.

yes agreed Dave. Even if fit i would leave stack morris and calders out.

Edited by town4me, 17 March 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#75 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

We still need to go through to the match as we would any others, why not try the half back partnership of forber and conner!! It's a bit disrespectful to speak about Robinson and Gaskell like giving them a run out against the leagues best team who says they Would be up for the slaughter!! Maybe use our full widnes quota tho as its game time for there lads

#76 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Our goal line defence needs looking at to . Soft tries are coming way to often and they're killing us .

can understand fatique setting in towards the end of game but to concede the three tries down the left side in the first half was very very poor. Gives you a mountain to climb and even more frustrating was they were down to 12 men fro 10minutes

#77 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

You wouldn't have known they had 12 which was frustrating . So much comes from the passing game in attack ,
but ours is so painfully slow and loopy that the defence , 12 or 13 , is not stretched . And not meant to be disrespectful ,
just realistic in using your squad as in many other sports and leagues . We have to target our games in our situation .

#78 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

You wouldn't have known they had 12 which was frustrating . So much comes from the passing game in attack ,
but ours is so painfully slow and loopy that the defence , 12 or 13 , is not stretched . And not meant to be disrespectful ,
just realistic in using your squad as in many other sports and leagues . We have to target our games in our situation .

The thing that Workington need to understand is the guys which are currently available to them are young lads learning the game and will find this league as difficult as what the squad at Worky currently are.

#79 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

The thing that Workington need to understand is the guys which are currently available to them are young lads learning the game and will find this league as difficult as what the squad at Worky currently are.

adam lawton did fine considering he hasn't played for a while. Would have him back for sure.

#80 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

sorry Marra you are wrong. The ref is responsible for all decisions on the pitch TJ's are their to assist.

no I'm not. The way the system is set up with comms etc us that the ref polices the PTB and the TJs give input in defensive line to assist the ref

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users