Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town v Batley score updates

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 819 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Not on this occasion. Three Town players pushed the Batley player over the touchline and the ref looked as if he was going to give a scrum when he went over to the TJ and had words with him and gave a penalty to Batley.

Not TJ call. Ref may have asked when did the Batley player go over the line in relation to a held call!

#82 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Not TJ call. Ref may have asked when did the Batley player go over the line in relation to a held call!

Lee the ginger tosser never even shouted held !!!! I was 10 yards away and he was giving the scrum until the TJ walked over and advised him they had been dragged

#83 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I thought today's performance was an improvement on last week. James Coyle was terrible his kicking was a disgrace I thought the widnes lad Lawton was very good Walne and acton putting in 100% as usual. I think the faster Matty is back the better I'm not saying Callum is doing a bad job but I think the way the forwards are running over him a few times are killing us. I thought Forber living us up today maybe him and Connor in the halves next week but it won't happen. And Brett Carter was awesome one of the best fullbacks in the league.

#84 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

no I'm not. The way the system is set up with comms etc us that the ref polices the PTB and the TJs give input in defensive line to assist the ref

we will have to agree to disagree on that one then mate. As you say the TJ assists. The ref looks along the line. Well sometimes as he didn't today. Not one offside on a team running quick line speed

#85 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Batley deserved the win without a doubt. As has already been mentioned their kicking game was almost flawless. We have much to learn in that dept and our markers at the PTB.
As for the dragging rule, Mossop (I think it was) dragged one of our players who had hold of the Batley player, who also had 3 other players pushing him into touch,and the ref did consult with his assistant before giving the decision. Does anyone know what the rule is on this as it is new this season? Does it only count when being dragged into touch? It wasn't given for us when Miller was dragged behind the dead ball line eventhough he grounded it in the field of play. Is that legal?
The ref and his assistants didn't cost us a win as some of our defence was poor, but some of the inconsistencies were weird. If he is going to give penalties for off side at the PTB he should be consistent with it, either ping both teams or don't bother unless somebody is yards off.
Our kicking out of hand in the first half was very poor.
Acton, Walne, Carter, played superbly. Lupton also played well. Callum got the top tackler today and proved what a great signing he is, he isn't there yet but to perform that well 6 games in from the amateurs is fantastic. Lawton also payed very well.
Why have Gaskell on the bench if he doesn't get on the pitch untill 20 secs from the end?
I was impressed with the way Batley were drilled, they were nothing spectacular but did everyhting well. I suppose Kear is responsible for that.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#86 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I thought today's performance was an improvement on last week. James Coyle was terrible his kicking was a disgrace I thought the widnes lad Lawton was very good Walne and acton putting in 100% as usual. I think the faster Matty is back the better I'm not saying Callum is doing a bad job but I think the way the forwards are running over him a few times are killing us. I thought Forber living us up today maybe him and Connor in the halves next week but it won't happen. And Brett Carter was awesome one of the best fullbacks in the league.

Callum must top the tackle count every week but he must be the only hooker in our division who is expected to play until he is absolutely spent no wonder he cant be dominant in defence all the time. Sheffield spell Henderson, Batley, Fax have to good hookers and were expecting miracles from someone who has six games experience!! If Matty isnt fit bring back Gore until he is, it all goes back to the balance of the team
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#87 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Callum must top the tackle count every week but he must be the only hooker in our division who is expected to play until he is absolutely spent no wonder he cant be dominant in defence all the time. Sheffield spell Henderson, Batley, Fax have to good hookers and were expecting miracles from someone who has six games experience!! If Matty isnt fit bring back Gore until he is, it all goes back to the balance of the team

We need someone to spell him off so yeah bring gore back

#88 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Scot just to let you know Callum had the top tackle count dont think i saw any forwards running all over him???

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

It was obviously a tactic to run at him , as they did over n over again , but his courage is as worthy as his talent and he stood up to it every time.

#90 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Scot just to let you know Callum had the top tackle count dont think i saw any forwards running all over him???

Into him would be more accurate then, the point is he is using all his energy tackling all game so he is less liable to be able to break from dummy half

#91 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

You maybe right ONEDAY but to come on here and say the forwards are running over CALLUM and is killing us is doing the lad a great injustice after the way he has covered for Matty.

#92 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

i didnt see anyone run over him to be honest, in fact he made some great tackles on men three times his size. he maybe dosent destroy defenses like matty does, but no one in this league is as good out of dummy half as matty is and its unfair to compare a lad 7 games into his career. callum at 7 and matty at 9 is what we need
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#93 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I wasn't comparing them I was just saying in a round about way that he needs someone to spell him off because all the work in defence is tiring him and some forwards are running over him yes he makes tackles but he needs a rest and spelled on and off I think he's a good player and I wasn't comparing

#94 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thats right Scott we all know that Callum needs a spell but as you still say some forwards are running over him NO.

#95 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Callum has a way to go , yet that's as expected at this high level , but what he's done so far is totally above criticism . Heart , courage , involvement , effort and growing confidence . Not to mention skill . A gem for the future , and hopefully a gem in the 7 jumper . And guys who are nearer 7 foot than 6 may try to run over him but boy he's hanging on till help ( usually big bro ! ) arrives !!

Edited by DavidM, 18 March 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#96 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

You are on the right track David i think we all see Callum as our future number 7 that will be if we can hold on to him.