Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev large squad

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

There is a lot of talk that we have a big squad this year but does anyone know how it compares to Batley Fax Leigh and Sheffields squad and if it is that big why are we using Hardman in the centre to cover Smeaton and we don't have a F/B to cover Hardman when he is in the centre

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

There is a lot of talk that we have a big squad this year but does anyone know how it compares to Batley Fax Leigh and Sheffields squad and if it is that big why are we using Hardman in the centre to cover Smeaton and we don't have a F/B to cover Hardman when he is in the centre

I think we have the biggest squad in the league JT. But I said at the start of the season we were short of covering centres and wingers. Smeaton will be a very welcomed addition back into the squad when he's fit. Also then we can get hardman back at FB and heppy back at 13. I think that as been one of our problems up to now too many players playing out of position but when they are all fit and we have a full squad to choose from we will see DPs real first team selection and not the one he's been using unless this is his preferred first team of course.

#3 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

The problem I guess is it's difficult to justify having a quality reserve centre or winger eating into the salary cap when they are not likely to get much action unless there's an injury. Forwards tend to get injured that bit more and there is also more scope for rotation amongst the pack; most teams carry at least three and usually four forwards on the bench these days because that's where you need to give guys a breather. I suspect when Daryl made plans for this season he was hoping Sam would be back by now, but obviously that hasn't been the case.

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

The problem I guess is it's difficult to justify having a quality reserve centre or winger eating into the salary cap when they are not likely to get much action unless there's an injury. Forwards tend to get injured that bit more and there is also more scope for rotation amongst the pack; most teams carry at least three and usually four forwards on the bench these days because that's where you need to give guys a breather. I suspect when Daryl made plans for this season he was hoping Sam would be back by now, but obviously that hasn't been the case.

This Aussie that we've signed might be the winger/centre were short of. But with DP trying to sign Ben black last season I have a feeling he's been looking for a stand off for a while now and I bet the Aussie is a stand off. But we will just have to wait and see.

#5 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Andy Kain was outstanding last year at 6

#6 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Andy Kain was outstanding last year at 6

Please don't go their JT I still haven't got over him sat on the bench on Thursday night while bussey played 6 your killing me 😳

#7 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Please don't go their JT I still haven't got over him sat on the bench on Thursday night while bussey played 6 your killing me 😳

I know what you mean

#8 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I know what you mean

To be fair though JT I can see where DP was coming from as he tried new things. Can't blame him for that and I also think he wanted an attacking team on the park and probably thought a rested kainy off the bench would rip them to pieces but with bussey getting injured that plan went out of the window.

Edited by thundergaz, 17 March 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#9 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

This Aussie that we've signed might be the winger/centre were short of. But with DP trying to sign Ben black last season I have a feeling he's been looking for a stand off for a while now and I bet the Aussie is a stand off. But we will just have to wait and see.

Forwards now established. Now require a damned good centre.

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

How 'big' our squad is depends on how much you rate the youngsters playing u20. In reality we have a 22 man squad two of whom have been injured since pre-season. Given that you'll always have a couple of injuries, 20 players is not that many, and the odd suspension etc can make us look a bit thin. If you count the likes of Liam Mackay, Kyran Johnson, Joe Fox, etc as useful squad men ready to cover, then I'd say we're about right for numbers. The forwards are better covered than the 3/4s true, but that's logical too. Much more wear and tear playing upfront than out wide.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

We're running at 23 at the moment - not counting blokes on loan and the Academy kids.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

this article seems to be suggesting that Lamont might be playing centre tomorrow?

http://www.yorkpress...o_right_wrongs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users