Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Props

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

To the credit of the lads who have worn the number 9 jersey there were a few in contention but Pachniuk gets the nod.

The team so far...

1 Kemble
2 Muscroft
3 Tate
4 Irwin
5. Plange
6. Mannson
7. King
9. Pachniuk
13 Wolford

Next up - the prop forwards. Certainly in the days of "real" scrumaging the openside and blindside props were different types of players, probably not as significant these days but it is still worth naming your 8 and 10.

I'm undecided on 8 as yet but will go the George Standige at 10 for the reasons stated by the Mascot in an earlier post - not the biggest but hard as nails - stuff of legend.
(If anyone can elaborate on the Sammy Lloyd incident it would be appreciated).

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#2 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Lynsey Procter, Kelvin Skerett, Andy Bateman, Peter Brown and dont anyone mention Bungalow Mason on this thread.
Posted Image

#3 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

8 Andy Sykes 10 Andy Bateman Kelvin Skerret in Second Row

#4 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Mentions to Neil Lean Mark Burgess Steve Raybould Mark Wood Andy Marson Paul Morgan Andy Precious Sam Windmill and KEITH MASON

#5 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Steve Pryce

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#6 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

think keith mason has to be mentioned just for the number of tackles he did in a game.seem to remember him doing 46 against warrington away and sorted les boyd out that day too.standige was brill.remember at the old greyhound stadium as a kid when one of the oppostion was getting dirty if george was on the bench the whole ground would chant we want george we want george.lol.
think my choice has to be stevo as 1 prop and kelvin skerrett as the other although i was close to chosing david gillespie (cement) as he was class but only played 1 season.

#7 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Mick Coyle , Stevo , Kelvin Skerret , Craig Ibbotson , Neil lowe , craig Booth , Andy Shickell , I've given all these a mention but probally the first 3 would make my choice.............

#8 attila the

attila the
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

David Gillespie & Steve Pryce
Attila the

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

David Gillespie and Andy Bateman.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#10 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Jaime Fielden & Chris Plume 😋

#11 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Not many Hunslet props were good enough to play for us for years and then be transferred on to St Helens so Andy Bateman is a must. Also he was a key part of our promotion to division 1 playing with Andy Sykes#

I think we got a good fee for Bateman as well - KOL?

Edited by Penola, 18 March 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#12 Andreus Gordo

Andreus Gordo
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Steeeeevo

#13 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Bateman & Psycho for me too.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#14 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Bateman & Psycho for me too.

What about my suggestion Daz?

#15 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

In cheek tongue, comes to mind.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

I was saving Gillespie for second row which i beleive he was. Penola , we got 65k for Bateman should have been a world beater but he had the job that micky out of The League Of Gentleman wanted..................fireman!
Posted Image

#17 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was saving Gillespie for second row which i beleive he was. Penola , we got 65k for Bateman should have been a world beater but he had the job that micky out of The League Of Gentleman wanted..................fireman!

:lol: :lol: Dole-####,Dole-####,Dole-#### , :lol: :lol:

#18 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

8. Andy Sykes
10. Steve Pryce

Skerrett & Bateman well worthy too... Richie Hayes must be worth a mention??!! Nowhere near best ever standard but I always liked watching Richard Pell play, good old school ball handling prop... Craig Ibbetson yet another who could have gone onto bigger better things bar injury deserves a mention too.

#19 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

gillespie played prop king as far as i remember.i also remember beefy england saying how he was gonna put gillespie on his ######.first time gillespie hit him he went off with help.was great

#20 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

If cement was a prop then its a no brainer , i still think he was a 2nd rower though.Dosent anyone remember a huge wild beast from New Zealand called Lynsey Proctor, i saw him pick Bernard Watson up hold him in front of the HKR fans at Craven Park and dump him into the ground from a great height.The fans went mad and he got sent off , pity we only had him for one season.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users