Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

To confirm Cement was a prop.
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#23 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

I was saving Gillespie for second row which i beleive he was. Penola , we got 65k for Bateman should have been a world beater but he had the job that micky out of The League Of Gentleman wanted..................fireman!

£65k over 23 years ago! Bosman is the reason smaller clubs no longer have any money. Did we get cash for Skerret, Nickle, Lowes, Wilson and Irvine in those days?

#24 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

:lol: :lol: Dole-####,Dole-####,Dole-#### , :lol: :lol:

"Do I look like Deidre Rashid?" "Well yes Pauline"

#25 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Has to be Bateman and Cement then. One player who carried us through to promotion and the premiership final and made us good money and the other an Aussie test forward. As loyal a servant as Steve Pryce was, he isn't in the same class

Edited by Penola, 18 March 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#26 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Been saying that about Bosman for years Penola, hes killed Sport for the smaller clubs its ruined Football, Rugby League and Union.Any team that develops any decent player gets them taken away for nothing now, its a no win situation.
Posted Image

#27 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Not sure if he was an out and out prop , a 2nd row or even a loose forward but on his day he was brilliant, the clues are he wasnt the fittest, he retired far too early, destroyed SL Huddersfield in the Cup and could offload for fun, how i wish we had him at Halifax on Sunday when not one forward could open them up. I think he even turned out in the Pennine league for one game the other week and i believe he does a bit of coaching and may even read this forum! I remember once we were getting beat at home about 20 nil by worky, roy sampson brings him on, he scores about 3 tries and makes another 3 in about 25 mins to destroy worky.Roy probably dropped him next week because he knocked training....you should all know who im talking about.
Posted Image

#28 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Not sure if he was an out and out prop , a 2nd row or even a loose forward but on his day he was brilliant, the clues are he wasnt the fittest, he retired far too early, destroyed SL Huddersfield in the Cup and could offload for fun, how i wish we had him at Halifax on Sunday when not one forward could open them up. I think he even turned out in the Pennine league for one game the other week and i believe he does a bit of coaching and may even read this forum! I remember once we were getting beat at home about 20 nil by worky, roy sampson brings him on, he scores about 3 tries and makes another 3 in about 25 mins to destroy worky.Roy probably dropped him next week because he knocked training....you should all know who im talking about.

Danny Dobson?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#29 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

To confirm Cement was a prop.

Did he play majority 2nd row when he was with us though? I seem to remember him wearing no11 for us??!!

#30 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

King I think you've misread the Topic!!

#31 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Nearly all Gillespie's games for us were second row; he only turned out twice with No 10 on his back.

We must have had a fair few injuries among the props in 87/88; over the course of the season we used Keith Mason, Andy Bateman, Andy Sykes, Andy Marson, Mark Wood, Mick Allan, Paul Morgan, Gillespie and even Chris Bowden.

Going back to Lindsay Proctor, an even more costly sending-off was in a league match at Wakefield Trinity, when he went for tripping in the early stages. Despite playing nearly all the game with twelve men, we lost 8-7. It was two points for a win in those days, and at the end of the season we were relegated ... three points behind Wakefield ...

#32 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Nearly all Gillespie's games for us were second row; he only turned out twice with No 10 on his back.

Cheers Windbag, I was only a young whipper snapper at the time but shows the old memories not going just yet !! !!

#33 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Danny Fearon.

Hawkeye
Posted Image

#34 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

As i thought so when the 2nd row topic starts, cement will be 1st on the list.
Posted Image

#35 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Steve Pryce has to be in for me, always consistent for the club and gave his all for over several years. The man is a legend.

Bateman & Pryce props

Gillespie & Rob Wilson second row simples!

Peter smith is going to publish this team in the YEP and do an article on it.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#36 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Dave Gillespie or Cement played nearly all his games Second row for us not prop , maybe one game.
Great player but a Second row forward, as his position, I think he played for Australia not prop.

For me then Andy Bateman & Peter Brown,the New Zealand test prop. Have to give a mention to The fearless Keith Mason who let everyone know he was on the pitch , even Les Boyd of Warrington, as was said in an earlier post. Steve Price lacked their size , still a great player though always put 100 % in his games for us.

#37 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I make no apologies for the must inclusion of Andy Bateman Sonny Nickle, Kelvin Skerret and James Lowes in this team. They went on to play top flight for years after spending a fair bit of time with Huns. All except Bateman were also Great Britain players - surely enough said! The pack must surely consist of Bateman, Pachniuk, Skerrett, Nickle, Cement, Wolford with Lowes and Alan Platt as subs. Who could argue with that?

In my opinion the others mentioned would not displace these forwards

Herbie Moore, Paul Carr and Michael Jackson would come close though. Coyley? Chris "Billy" Bowden was number 15 for years!

Edited by Penola, 19 March 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#38 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Dave Gillespie or Cement played nearly all his games Second row for us not prop , maybe one game.
Great player but a Second row forward, as his position, I think he played for Australia not prop.

For me then Andy Bateman & Peter Brown,the New Zealand test prop. Have to give a mention to The fearless Keith Mason who let everyone know he was on the pitch , even Les Boyd of Warrington, as was said in an earlier post. Steve Price lacked their size , still a great player though always put 100 % in his games for us.

Peter Brown good shout. Good kicker as well

#39 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Steve Pryce

who :D :D :D

#40 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Gillespie was definitely second row and Bateman couldn't tackle!
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users