Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the actual proof?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

That participation is up on previous years?

This weekend from 22 fixtures in the NWC U16's - U18's a total of 8 games were conceded 0-18, so thats 8 teams from a total of 44 teams who were down to play that could not fulfil their fixture.

After last seasons episode we hoped it would sort itself out, but the signs are it is'nt going to and rumours are already circulating of more teams folding even though the season is only just underway.

In the last 12-18 months I have seen more teams fold and players go out of the game than I can ever remember previously, yet official reviews state that participation is on the up?

If that is the case can somebody put some actual facts and figures out in to the public domain that can be measured against the Leagues teams and actual playing numbers rather than registrations and also clearly outline where this rise in participation is, because I for one cannot see how that could really be the case.

If we count the playing numbers from teamsheets over a period of a month and generate an average, against the "Registered" numbers surely that will give a much better indication on participation, rather than the inflated nonsense that is registered playing numbers!!!!!!

#2 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

3 Days 350+ views Zero response = Apathy

And that people is why the game is in the state it is at Amateur level and the RFL are getting away with the charade they are, because nobody collectively takes them to task and makes them put the proof of the claims they make on the table.

Participation figures, how I would love to see them scrutinised by the regional leagues and thoroughly reviewed, whilst being defended by the RFL.

I know of at least one league for definate that has seen a drop in participation of 25% on their own figures, but if you go on the initial RFL figures for participation in that league against the actual participation figures that the League has its nearly a 40% reduction in the last 12 months!!!!!!

Edited by LordCharles, 20 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#3 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Ive checked on this thread a few times and not replied, The truth is that the views of anonymous people on here doesnt make a jot of difference to how the game is run etc, you raise some real good points on here maybe you should be trying to make a difference as part of a league management committee?

Playing numbers at youth level are down in Cumbria and as a way of trying to find a solution a steering group is being set up that will include RFL representatives and local BARLA stalwarts to look at all the possibilities and ensure that no stone is unturned to find a way forward and that can only be achieved by everyone working together
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#4 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ive checked on this thread a few times and not replied, The truth is that the views of anonymous people on here doesnt make a jot of difference to how the game is run etc, you raise some real good points on here maybe you should be trying to make a difference as part of a league management committee?

Playing numbers at youth level are down in Cumbria and as a way of trying to find a solution a steering group is being set up that will include RFL representatives and local BARLA stalwarts to look at all the possibilities and ensure that no stone is unturned to find a way forward and that can only be achieved by everyone working together

:D

Gillmeister, I have served my time and will if necessary serve it again, but unfortunately League Management committees can at times by swayed by the silky smooth caressing nature of senior RFL figures, which as a result means certain subjects are breifly brushed over during meetings or not even mentioned.

I am not anti RFL, but I do believe the RFL have done a job on the Amateur game and BARLA, which is now starting to bite them on the backside because they cannot fulfil promises they made and they are, in many instances, appearing hypocritical and full of boulderdash.

They have only interfered in the Amateur game because they needed to support funding applications they made by way of the amount of participants they had under their umbrella, unfortunately they did not understand (Once more might I add) the size of the task in hand and the cracks are now starting to appear.

The Participation overload PR spin sticking plasters they applied are starting to lose their adhesive properties and the Amateur game is once more beginning to hemorage from top to bottom, even the medicine that was a move to a March to November season has turned out to be little more than an ineffective tonic for the major ills we face as a sport at grass roots level.

BARLA is not currently the answer either as the RFL Dentists department removed all its teeth and then gave it the biggest gobstopper of all time to keep it quiet, however a new dawn is on the horizon which may see the dormant BARLA beast grow stronger than ever before under the potential new guidance of a WARRIOR from the NW Hemisphere ;)

But it is still the Amateur clubs that must seek out the information they need or act collectively if they want to improve the current situation, after all they are to a degree, still in control of their own collective destiny and can if they so choose elect new blood to take them forward in to a new era...............but the Apathy must be addressed in every clubs own house if all the above is to move forward and have a positive impact in the Amateur game before its too late.

Edited by LordCharles, 20 March 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#5 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

:D

Gillmeister, I have served my time and will if necessary serve it again, but unfortunately League Management committees can at times by swayed by the silky smooth caressing nature of senior RFL figures, which as a result means certain subjects are breifly brushed over during meetings or not even mentioned.

I am not anti RFL, but I do believe the RFL have done a job on the Amateur game and BARLA, which is now starting to bite them on the backside because they cannot fulfil promises they made and they are, in many instances, appearing hypocritical and full of boulderdash.

They have only interfered in the Amateur game because they needed to support funding applications they made by way of the amount of participants they had under their umbrella, unfortunately they did not understand (Once more might I add) the size of the task in hand and the cracks are now starting to appear.

The Participation overload PR spin sticking plasters they applied are starting to lose their adhesive properties and the Amateur game is once more beginning to hemorage from top to bottom, even the medicine that was a move to a March to November season has turned out to be little more than an ineffective tonic for the major ills we face as a sport at grass roots level.

BARLA is not currently the answer either as the RFL Dentists department removed all its teeth and then gave it the biggest gobstopper of all time to keep it quiet, however a new dawn is on the horizon which may see the dormant BARLA beast grow stronger than ever before under the potential new guidance of a WARRIOR from the NW Hemisphere ;)

But it is still the Amateur clubs that must seek out the information they need or act collectively if they want to improve the current situation, after all they are to a degree, still in control of their own collective destiny and can if they so choose elect new blood to take them forward in to a new era...............but the Apathy must be addressed in every clubs own house if all the above is to move forward and have a positive impact in the Amateur game before its too late.

Agree with what youve wrote

I notice that you have used the word apathy a couple of times, thats what is rife throughout rugby league as a whole everyone wants to sit back and fold there arms and expect somebody else to step up and its why the RFL were able to get themselves into such a powerfu position. Personally I cant see BARLA ever getting back to former glories but if Mr P wins the race for the Chairmanship then things will only get better as I am sure he will be forward thinking enough to work with the RFL as much as possible but will also know when things arent good for the community game and fight tooth and nail

I see so many people on here who will argue there point and make alot of sense yet arent part of there clubs decision making process etc so cant have any impact where it matters and thats what needs to change rather than posting on the internet
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Agree with what youve wrote

I notice that you have used the word apathy a couple of times, thats what is rife throughout rugby league as a whole everyone wants to sit back and fold there arms and expect somebody else to step up and its why the RFL were able to get themselves into such a powerfu position. Personally I cant see BARLA ever getting back to former glories but if Mr P wins the race for the Chairmanship then things will only get better as I am sure he will be forward thinking enough to work with the RFL as much as possible but will also know when things arent good for the community game and fight tooth and nail

I see so many people on here who will argue there point and make alot of sense yet arent part of there clubs decision making process etc so cant have any impact where it matters and thats what needs to change rather than posting on the internet

I'd sooner see the RFL working with BARLA.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'd sooner see the RFL working with BARLA.

That could only happen if the clubs got behind BARLA, for that to happen BARLA would need to table something worthwhile that warrants the Regional Leagues and clubs accepting there is value in having BARLA represent them collectively.

Edited by LordCharles, 20 March 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

That could only happen if the clubs got behind BARLA, for that to happen BARLA would need to table something worthwhile that warrants the Regional Leagues and clubs accepting there is value in having BARLA represent them collectively.

BARLA & the clubs need to be communicating more, the channels are in place & need to be used, the meeting of the district leagues recently are a step forward and many problems where brought to light.

#9 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Where and how do you start to rebuild BARLA? - the organisation has been on the decline since the launch of the NCL - when all the so called 'top amateur clubs' left to form their own organisation, leaving regional leagues diluted and reducing BARLA's bargaining capabilities. When you add into the fact that communication from BARLA has been more or less 'zero' for the past 6 or 7 years, then its quite easy to see how apathy with the organisation has set in.

The RFL are the easy targets here, but the real reason BARLA is finished in its present form is because the people running it have no idea of what BARLA's role is in the modern game. Until they decide what their role is, then they will continue to stagnate and become less influential (if that is at all possible!).

Also they need to recognise that outside of Yorkshire the organisation is deemed as a 'Yorkshire mafia' ran for the benefit of Yorkshire clubs, so they need a massive PR push if they are to change that perception.

It will be interesting to see the vote for the Chair, will it be a political vote to serve certain leagues interests, or will we see a vote for the good of the game?

In my opinion BARLA does have a role in the modern game managing the regional leagues, but this is the last chance saloon, get it wrong this time and BARLA is finished

#10 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Excellent post you are spot on .

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Where and how do you start to rebuild BARLA? - the organisation has been on the decline since the launch of the NCL - when all the so called 'top amateur clubs' left to form their own organisation, leaving regional leagues diluted and reducing BARLA's bargaining capabilities. When you add into the fact that communication from BARLA has been more or less 'zero' for the past 6 or 7 years, then its quite easy to see how apathy with the organisation has set in.

Totally wrong! The organisation has been in decline since unification when all the initiatives (coach education, club development, child protection, etc.) which were all BARLA initiatives suddenly, overnight became under the RFL when the game supposedly unified. And with the overnight change with BARLA Services becoming Rugby League Services, to evolve as Community Game Services, meant that all BARLA communications until recent years, came through the RFL.

Contrary to your statement, it wasn't the launch of the NCL - for your information, again another initiative born from BARLA in the 1980's - but more the actions from the NCL management who lured their teams to the RFL under directives from the professional body, who are now insanely proposing to more or less professionalise the competition at top level, with the proposed introduction of dual registration, which in old money is better known as permit players.

Quite right with the loss of a number of teams the regional leagues have been diluted but only in numbers and not necessarily actual skill levels and strength of teams. Then the quite disgraceful, takeover that took place in the North West, when John McMullens' scary tacticts and inuendos resulted in the incomprehensible, domino effect that stole the majority of the North West Counties' teams into the summer based, quite appropriately titled, Domino Pizza North West Men's league.

With the "aquisition" of 40 or so teams within the NCL and a massive 60 plus from the North West Counties, the RFL were able to demonstrate not so much a reduction in BARLA's bargaining capabilities, but the vehicle on which to support the professional game and the devastation of a full BARLA member league.

The truth in BARLA's bargaining capabilities being reduced, is that they had already been taken care of with the introduction of the Community Board several years ago on unification, where BARLA's solitary voice is alway's outvoted and outmanouvered, by the nine other members, incidently who are all backed either directly or other by the RFL.

And when you consider that BARLA were only allowed one place on the community board to cover both their open age matters along with youth and juniors affairs, while other leagues were generously allowed seats for both open age and youth and junior, a picture may be forming. Add to this, the shackling of BARLA by threatened sanctions if any of its member leagues dare to stray from the policy path of the community board, then the picture becomes increasingly, more clear.

The RFL are the easy targets here, but the real reason BARLA is finished in its present form is because the people running it have no idea of what BARLA's role is in the modern game. Until they decide what their role is, then they will continue to stagnate and become less influential (if that is at all possible!).

Admittedly it would appear that some board members could well be past their sell by date and that a raft of fresh thinking could be required to put BARLA on an even keel. However BARLA's role in the modern game is quite simple - as a quick glance to the constitution would reveal - this is; to foster, develope, extend and to represent amateur rugby league throughout the United Kingdom.

With the advent of unification when all responsibiltiy of development along with the millions of pounds in government funding was gleefully snapped up by the RFL, BARLA could quite rightly be forgiven for wrongly assumimg that the RFL would support the whole of the game and not just the professional side of things. However as Lord Charles alludes to in an earlier post, a new dawn may well be on the horizon.

Also they need to recognise that outside of Yorkshire the organisation is deemed as a 'Yorkshire mafia' ran for the benefit of Yorkshire clubs, so they need a massive PR push if they are to change that perception.

Sadly the passing of board members has taken it's toll on members from outside Yorkshire and lack of interest from outside this county must also point to the factor of the projected Yorkshire Mafia, but surely the launch of the BARLA funded Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby League must dispel that myth.

It will be interesting to see the vote for the Chair, will it be a political vote to serve certain leagues interests, or will we see a vote for the good of the game?

The very statement of interest from you indicates some concern for the organisation from you, and in my opinion voting for a non Yorkshire candidate would not only be the right choice for chair as there is the ideal candidate in Mr P, it would also drag the organisation away from the Yorkshire Mafia stigma.

In my opinion BARLA does have a role in the modern game managing the regional leagues, but this is the last chance saloon, get it wrong this time and BARLA is finished

I must slighlty disagree with your opinion on BARLA's role of managing the regional leagues as these are all superbly managed by the personell currently in place. However BARLA would and should offer support to these leagues at all times.

I tend to agree on your last chance saloon scenario, as the ballot will decide the future of the organisation and only a vote for the good of the game will secure the future.

Edited by Marauder, 22 March 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#12 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

The problem with wanting some kind of big grassroots BARLA uprising is that amateur/community RL in this country is a lot different now to how it was when BARLA ruled the roost. The student game and what was the RLC has spread the game to many new places. By and large people in these areas/parts of the game have never dealt with BARLA and have no desire to have their leagues, teams etc officiated by BARLA. That's not to say that the same people don't get frustrated with the RFL - there's a lot of irritation around the country with the RFL for many different reasons - but that they have little reason to want to organisation of amateur RL changed.

The community board is there to represent the views of BARLA leagues, as well as other parts of the community game, and is there to help the RFL make decisions that benefit the community game as a whole, whether that's in Cumbria, London, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Bristol, the Midlands or elsewhere. It's not just about the "Heartlands" any more. And yes, I know that BARLA played a part in expanding the game around the country during the 1980s, but those were different times. Committee-room mentalities aren't helpful any more - and that goes for the RFL, BARLA, the Community Board, whoever!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#13 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

The problem with wanting some kind of big grassroots BARLA uprising is that amateur/community RL in this country is a lot different now to how it was when BARLA ruled the roost. The student game and what was the RLC has spread the game to many new places. By and large people in these areas/parts of the game have never dealt with BARLA and have no desire to have their leagues, teams etc officiated by BARLA. That's not to say that the same people don't get frustrated with the RFL - there's a lot of irritation around the country with the RFL for many different reasons - but that they have little reason to want to organisation of amateur RL changed.

The community board is there to represent the views of BARLA leagues, as well as other parts of the community game, and is there to help the RFL make decisions that benefit the community game as a whole, whether that's in Cumbria, London, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Bristol, the Midlands or elsewhere. It's not just about the "Heartlands" any more. And yes, I know that BARLA played a part in expanding the game around the country during the 1980s, but those were different times. Committee-room mentalities aren't helpful any more - and that goes for the RFL, BARLA, the Community Board, whoever!

Very interesting to hear the views from a "non heartland" perspective W C Eagle. The amateur game away from Cumbria/Lancs/Yorks has indeed been implemented mainly by the RFL but it’s not those areas where the “BARLAisms” are aimed. BARLA need to once again visit its constitution and support its members and this means the heartland leagues and clubs – their members.

The RFL have had a limited success away from the heartlands, but it’s yet to be seen whether this success will stand the test of time and the pockets of amateur ruby league up and down the country can remain vibrant with sustainable competition. Sadly with the loss of £10M of Sport England funding and the withdrawal of development officers, it’s my guess that as time passes, the smaller clubs will go the way of many in the heartlands and cease to operate.

Yes the RFL are irritating and frustrate many people but I disagree when you say that they have little reason to want the organisation of amateur RL changed, what were the reasons behind the RFL implemented move to summer? And believe you me it took much persuasion with various incentives and what are now broken promises, for the NCL teams to make such a colossal move, which arguably has done untold damage and split the game – or should I say tiered. Not only wanting to change the organisation of amateur rugby league, the RFL are as Marauder puts it, part professionalising the NCL in an effort to support the rapidly diminishing professional game. Much more damage will occur to the amateur game should the RFL insist on continuing this route.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 30 March 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#14 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

The RFL have weakened the Amateur game at ALL levels, most worryingly at Youth & Junior level which is a result of the Performance department and the Pro clubs being insistant on ELITE PATHWAYS and Scholarships that have fragmented the sport and seen club loyality diminish due to pressure being applied on players to move to more suitable clubs that certain pro clubs have strong allegiance/interest in.

Yet for all their wisdom and expertise we are now seeing increasing instances such as this http://www.totalrl.c...t/#entry2668742

So are the French making giant strides in youth development or are the RFL and its performance department massively under performing?

#15 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Good afternoon DTTRR

I spotted this item regarding the Tops4Teams scheme on the BARLA website last week http://www.barla.org...ils.asp?id=3164

Is this a sign that the BARLA "Yorkshire Mafia" is broadening its boundaries to include the whole of the association. What does strike me as peculiar however is that such a positive, BARLA initiative, which is geared to directly support the amateur clubs to the tune of £100,000, has not been picked up by the, "masters of denigration" that quite often frequent this forum.

Tops4Teams

You may have been aware of the Tops4Teams kit giveaway scheme that was recently piloted for Yorkshire based BARLA clubs.

BARLA are please to inform you that after a massive response and the enormous success of the pilot, the Tops4Teams scheme has now been launched nationwide and is open to BARLA clubs in all areas.

The scheme was officially launched on the Sky magazine programme, `Boots ’N All’ and clubs will be able to apply for the offer by emailing either;
secretary@barla.org.uk or enquiries@tops4teams.com

Lancashire-based Waterhead Rugby League Club – affectionately known as the place of attainable dreams – are the first team to receive a sponsored kit. Kevin Sinfield and Barrie McDermott, both Waterhead legends, made the presentation when the Top4Teams Scheme was launched on air on Boots ‘N’ All.

Four UK businesses have joined forces to support British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) clubs nationwide, in response to Sport England’s decision to cut funding to the sport by over £10 million.

In an initiative fronted by England Rugby League captain Kevin Sinfield and former Great Britain and BARLA GB international Barrie McDermott, the four organisations will donate over £100,000 of kit to more than 110 BARLA clubs throughout the country.

National central heating specialist Help-Link, Yorkshire-based clothing firm Xamax, heating appliance manufacturer Worcester Bosch and plumbing and heating product supplier Plumb Center, have collectively ploughed the six figure sum into the ‘Tops4Teams’ Scheme.

With the sport lying close to the hearts of all four businesses, the aim is to invest in grass roots rugby and help continue to nurture future talent within the sport. At least 114 clubs will be provided with UK manufactured high quality shirts, shorts and socks in their home team colours, on a first come first served basis. By equipping these junior teams with the professional kits needed for them to perform to the best of their ability, the sponsors hope to offset some of the difficulties that the funding cuts will pose.

Mel Butler, managing director of Help-Link explains:

“Amateur rugby league clubs will face new financial struggles now over the next five years. As sponsors of the Tops4Teams initiative, we want to invest in the legacy of these teams, encourage their continued development in the sport and support an active and healthy lifestyle amongst these youngsters.

“There has been a decrease in the number of people registered to play rugby league in the last two years, therefore to ensure that the spirit of the game encourages interest for generations to come, we have decided to invest in the future of the game by giving back to ARFL communities nationwide.”

Yorkshire-based Help-Link is one of the largest central heating specialists in the UK, employing a 550-strong nationwide team. Help-Link’s unique low monthly repayment plan, which allows customers to replace their old boiler and pay back monthly, has become so popular that the company fits over 2,000 new central heating boilers per month; putting them second only to British Gas for central heating installation in the UK

Xamax Clothing Company is a Wakefield based, established workwear and promotional clothing specialist. The company has more than 20 years’ experience providing bespoke quality clothing to everything from call centres to sports teams

Worcester Bosch is a leading manufacturer of heating and hot water appliances for the home. They are leading the way in environmentally friendly heating and hot water production, through their commitment to producing renewable energy solutions.

Plumb Center is the UK’s market leader suppliers of plumbing and heating products including central heating systems, bathrooms, showers, drainage and renewable technologies.

For further information please contact; Jessica Speight, Marketing Assistant, Help-Link UK LTD, 3310 Century Way, Thorpe Park, Colton, Leeds, LS15 8ZB, Direct Dial: 01977 877622,

Alternatively; Roger Fagge, BARLA Administrator, West Yorkshire House, 4, New North Parade, Huddersfield, HD1 5JP,
Tel: 01484 599113

Email
secretary@barla.org.uk

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 17 April 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Good afternoon DTTRR

I spotted this item regarding the Tops4Teams scheme on the BARLA website last week http://www.barla.org...ils.asp?id=3164

Is this a sign that the BARLA "Yorkshire Mafia" is broadening its boundaries to include the whole of the association. What does strike me as peculiar however is that such a positive, BARLA initiative, which is geared to directly support the amateur clubs to the tune of £100,000, has not been picked up by the, "masters of denigration" that quite often frequent this forum.

Tops4Teams

You may have been aware of the Tops4Teams kit giveaway scheme that was recently piloted for Yorkshire based BARLA clubs.

BARLA are please to inform you that after a massive response and the enormous success of the pilot, the Tops4Teams scheme has now been launched nationwide and is open to BARLA clubs in all areas.

The scheme was officially launched on the Sky magazine programme, `Boots ’N All’ and clubs will be able to apply for the offer by emailing either;
secretary@barla.org.uk or enquiries@tops4teams.com

Lancashire-based Waterhead Rugby League Club – affectionately known as the place of attainable dreams – are the first team to receive a sponsored kit. Kevin Sinfield and Barrie McDermott, both Waterhead legends, made the presentation when the Top4Teams Scheme was launched on air on Boots ‘N’ All.

Four UK businesses have joined forces to support British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) clubs nationwide, in response to Sport England’s decision to cut funding to the sport by over £10 million.

In an initiative fronted by England Rugby League captain Kevin Sinfield and former Great Britain and BARLA GB international Barrie McDermott, the four organisations will donate over £100,000 of kit to more than 110 BARLA clubs throughout the country.

National central heating specialist Help-Link, Yorkshire-based clothing firm Xamax, heating appliance manufacturer Worcester Bosch and plumbing and heating product supplier Plumb Center, have collectively ploughed the six figure sum into the ‘Tops4Teams’ Scheme.

With the sport lying close to the hearts of all four businesses, the aim is to invest in grass roots rugby and help continue to nurture future talent within the sport. At least 114 clubs will be provided with UK manufactured high quality shirts, shorts and socks in their home team colours, on a first come first served basis. By equipping these junior teams with the professional kits needed for them to perform to the best of their ability, the sponsors hope to offset some of the difficulties that the funding cuts will pose.

Mel Butler, managing director of Help-Link explains:

“Amateur rugby league clubs will face new financial struggles now over the next five years. As sponsors of the Tops4Teams initiative, we want to invest in the legacy of these teams, encourage their continued development in the sport and support an active and healthy lifestyle amongst these youngsters.

“There has been a decrease in the number of people registered to play rugby league in the last two years, therefore to ensure that the spirit of the game encourages interest for generations to come, we have decided to invest in the future of the game by giving back to ARFL communities nationwide.”

Yorkshire-based Help-Link is one of the largest central heating specialists in the UK, employing a 550-strong nationwide team. Help-Link’s unique low monthly repayment plan, which allows customers to replace their old boiler and pay back monthly, has become so popular that the company fits over 2,000 new central heating boilers per month; putting them second only to British Gas for central heating installation in the UK

Xamax Clothing Company is a Wakefield based, established workwear and promotional clothing specialist. The company has more than 20 years’ experience providing bespoke quality clothing to everything from call centres to sports teams

Worcester Bosch is a leading manufacturer of heating and hot water appliances for the home. They are leading the way in environmentally friendly heating and hot water production, through their commitment to producing renewable energy solutions.

Plumb Center is the UK’s market leader suppliers of plumbing and heating products including central heating systems, bathrooms, showers, drainage and renewable technologies.

For further information please contact; Jessica Speight, Marketing Assistant, Help-Link UK LTD, 3310 Century Way, Thorpe Park, Colton, Leeds, LS15 8ZB, Direct Dial: 01977 877622,

Alternatively; Roger Fagge, BARLA Administrator, West Yorkshire House, 4, New North Parade, Huddersfield, HD1 5JP,
Tel: 01484 599113

Email
secretary@barla.org.uk

That's better than 6 rugby balls :)

#17 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Dont forget the beanie hats .

#18 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hello Nev v Dawn

Yes this is a tremendous scheme for those clubs lucky enough to be selected for a strip, but I've yet to find out how the selection process works. Also, I've read the press releases in the RL newspapers, but it doesn't say if the Tops4Teams project is a BARLA idea funded by sponsors and BARLA, or a project funded entirely by sponsors and supported by BARLA?

Maybe Marauder can shed some light on this as I bet his team got a strip!

If it was a project funded entirely by sponsors then I totally understand why it was rolled out in Yorkshire initially, but if is part funded by BARLA I would have to ask why it wasn't ran nationwide initially?

That isn't me knocking the scheme which I think is very good, and hats off to whoever got the sponsors on board to start with, but I think it is a valid question, especially as to how the selection process works

#19 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ten teams are picked out of a hat on a weekly basis until all strips have been allocated.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hello Nev v Dawn

Yes this is a tremendous scheme for those clubs lucky enough to be selected for a strip, but I've yet to find out how the selection process works. Also, I've read the press releases in the RL newspapers, but it doesn't say if the Tops4Teams project is a BARLA idea funded by sponsors and BARLA, or a project funded entirely by sponsors and supported by BARLA?

Maybe Marauder can shed some light on this as I bet his team got a strip!

If it was a project funded entirely by sponsors then I totally understand why it was rolled out in Yorkshire initially, but if is part funded by BARLA I would have to ask why it wasn't ran nationwide initially?

That isn't me knocking the scheme which I think is very good, and hats off to whoever got the sponsors on board to start with, but I think it is a valid question, especially as to how the selection process works

Have you questioned the RFL on how it funded balls to the RLC & not to BARLA clubs........"Thought not" Have you asked the RFL way it part funds travel to NCL clubs but not to BARLA regional leagues....."Thought not", Do I really have to go on?  

I don't know if my clubs has a kit and I don't know if the scheme is completely funded by the sponsors or partly by BARLA, if you need to know phone BARLA.

Attached Files