Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the actual proof?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

It looks as though someone is putting their money where their mouth is;

http://barla.org.uk/...ils.asp?id=3170

Tops4Teams has this weekend announced the latest BARLA clubs to secure a free playing kit through the £100,000 kit give away initiative set up by sponsors; Help-link, Xamax, Worcester Bosch and Plumbcentre.

The scheme was officially launched on the Sky magazine programme, `Boots ’N All’ earlier this month by Barry McDermott and Kevin Sinfield and clubs will be able to apply for the offer by emailing either;

secretary@barla.org.uk or enquiries@tops4teams.com

The latest 15 lucky clubs below were drawn from the hat in this week’s held in the offices of Xamax;

Barrow Island, Clockface Miners, Cockermouth Titans, Folly Lane, Halton Farnworth Hornets, Haresfinch, Haydock, Hindpool, Ince Rose Bridge, Latchford Albion, Leyland Warriors, Newton Storm, Portico Vine, Saddleworth Rangers and Wath Brow Hornets.

The lucky clubs join over 50 more clubs who have either received or are in the process of receiving a kit from the Tops4Teams.

Mark Rogers, Sportswear Development Manager at Xamax, commented, "Along with Help-link, Worcester Bosch and Plumbcentre, Xamax are delighted to be part of this tremendous initiative."

"In the present current financial climate, we’re very happy to be easing the clubs’ finacial burden and giving the BARLA clubs a leg up by supplying a top quality playing kit. The response that we’ve had so far is terrific."

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 28 April 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#42 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

£1,500

At what cost?

#43 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hello Nev v Dawn

Yes this is a tremendous scheme for those clubs lucky enough to be selected for a strip, but I've yet to find out how the selection process works. Also, I've read the press releases in the RL newspapers, but it doesn't say if the Tops4Teams project is a BARLA idea funded by sponsors and BARLA, or a project funded entirely by sponsors and supported by BARLA?

Maybe Marauder can shed some light on this as I bet his team got a strip!

If it was a project funded entirely by sponsors then I totally understand why it was rolled out in Yorkshire initially, but if is part funded by BARLA I would have to ask why it wasn't ran nationwide initially?

That isn't me knocking the scheme which I think is very good, and hats off to whoever got the sponsors on board to start with, but I think it is a valid question, especially as to how the selection process works

Still no kit for Moorends, we did play the other week against a team wearing one thou.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#44 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Your getting close to getting one then Maurader!! ;)

I'm pleased to see that Cockermouth and Barrow Island have got one from the Cumbrian League, good luck to them!

#45 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yet another case of putting money where their mouth is by "The Yorkshire Mafia" Have they been infiltrated? 

Derby day in the BARLA Cumbria Men’s ARL meant some close encounters of a classic kind with every game going right to the wire.

Three of the games were separated by the proverbial cigarette paper, with one ending all square.

The first few weeks of the newly constructed league justifies the decision of Barrow ARL and Cumbria ARL, to join forces in the BARLA backed competition. Barrow ARL secretary Terry Barker has no doubts of the merits in the new competition saying, "We have a lot to thank BARLA for with their support, some of the teams last season were getting beat by 60 to 70 points."

http://barla.org.uk/...ils.asp?id=3169

And is it by coincidence that there's not a dual reg player in sight ....

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 30 April 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#46 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yet another case of putting money where their mouth is by "The Yorkshire Mafia" Have they been infiltrated? 

Derby day in the BARLA Cumbria Men’s ARL meant some close encounters of a classic kind with every game going right to the wire.

Three of the games were separated by the proverbial cigarette paper, with one ending all square.

The first few weeks of the newly constructed league justifies the decision of Barrow ARL and Cumbria ARL, to join forces in the BARLA backed competition. Barrow ARL secretary Terry Barker has no doubts of the merits in the new competition saying, "We have a lot to thank BARLA for with their support, some of the teams last season were getting beat by 60 to 70 points."

http://barla.org.uk/...ils.asp?id=3169

IMO this is a good example why BARLA's plan to have a BARLA National league should go ahead as soon as possible without opposition from the powerful Pennine league, If it takes BARLA to go down the RFL route and ask for clubs to volunteer with on field standards not being the main criteria so be it, the NCL have shown what good management (Fresh blood with no axe to grind) , regular and strict fixture programming can achieve.

#47 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Your getting close to getting one then Maurader!! ;)

I'm pleased to see that Cockermouth and Barrow Island have got one from the Cumbrian League, good luck to them!

I'd say every club who have applied and not been successful yet are as close as Moorends wouldn't you?

#48 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Glasson Rangers have got a kit as well

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#49 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

[/quote]

YET!!!

#50 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

IMO this is a good example why BARLA's plan to have a BARLA National league should go ahead as soon as possible without opposition from the powerful Pennine league, If it takes BARLA to go down the RFL route and ask for clubs to volunteer with on field standards not being the main criteria so be it, the NCL have shown what good management (Fresh blood with no axe to grind) , regular and strict fixture programming can achieve.

Let's be clear about one thing here, the Cumbria Men's League has come about by working with BOTH parties. BARLA have provided funding and support and the RFL development guys in Cumbria put in a hell of a lot of work in the background to make this possible, including getting the West Cumbrian and Barrow lads together in the first place.

This is a very good example of how both parties should be working together for the COMMUNITY CLUBS and not constantly trying to get one over on each other. Its early days yet, but the competition has been like a breath of fresh air in West Cumbria and I'm sure it is the same for Walney and Barrow Island. Nobody is kidding themselves thinking there won't be problems as the season progresses, but I'm sure any problems will be sorted amicably

#51 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Let's be clear about one thing here, the Cumbria Men's League has come about by working with BOTH parties. BARLA have provided funding and support and the RFL development guys in Cumbria put in a hell of a lot of work in the background to make this possible, including getting the West Cumbrian and Barrow lads together in the first place.

This is a very good example of how both parties should be working together for the COMMUNITY CLUBS and not constantly trying to get one over on each other. Its early days yet, but the competition has been like a breath of fresh air in West Cumbria and I'm sure it is the same for Walney and Barrow Island. Nobody is kidding themselves thinking there won't be problems as the season progresses, but I'm sure any problems will be sorted amicably

I'm well aware of who is doing what in Cumbria (Watch your backs once you have a nice little feeder competition going for a Cumbrian Super League club, nice feeder league with dual reg players)

Edited by Marauder, 30 April 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#52 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm well aware of who is doing what in Cumbria (Watch your backs once you have a nice little feeder competition going for a Cumbrian Super League club, nice feeder league with dual reg players)

Oh one can only wish that we could ever get a Super League team in Cumbria! If there was even a remote possibility of that happening I don't think you would hear any discerning voices from this part of the country. You guys who have several Super League clubs on your doorstep have no idea what its like to live in an area starved of top level rugby league and the exposure that brings to the amateur game.

A trip to a Super League game is a minimum 2 hours trip to Wigan as they are the closest club to Cumbria!

The last time Workington Town had a successful run and had their one season in Super League I think the local CARL league had four divisions!!

#53 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

just out of interest Marauder, who is doing what in Cumbria? I'm intrigued now?

#54 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

just out of interest Marauder, who is doing what in Cumbria? I'm intrigued now?

http://www.cumbriarugbyleague.co.uk/ There has also been plenty of info about this league in the League Weekly, League Express and BARLA website (noticed on the website that there is no provision for BARLA but links to the RFL & Pro clubs.

#55 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

http://www.cumbriarugbyleague.co.uk/ There has also been plenty of info about this league in the League Weekly, League Express and BARLA website (noticed on the website that there is no provision for BARLA but links to the RFL & Pro clubs.

Sorry mate but I'm struggling to make sense of what point you are trying to get across?

You have put a link to the cumbria rugby league website but where does it say who is running Cumbrian Rugby League?

To my knowledge the amateur game is ran entirley by the people who have ran it for years in both the North and South of the county?

#56 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Sorry mate but I'm struggling to make sense of what point you are trying to get across?

You have put a link to the cumbria rugby league website but where does it say who is running Cumbrian Rugby League?

To my knowledge the amateur game is ran entirley by the people who have ran it for years in both the North and South of the county?

The only points I made after you asked the question who is doing what in Cumbrian was to mention the source I've used to track the league, I suppose what may have touched a nerve is the fact that the website seems to have airbrushed out anything BARLA, this seems strange seeing as they have put money into the competition.

Here goes with what I've found out but I do suspect you already know.

Yes the Cumbrians used the RFL resources, two paid RFL employees who now by the way, sit on the Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby League committee as secretary and chair along with their volunteer colleagues.

For your information,  the West Cumbrians and the Barrow lads get together every year for the BARLA County Tri-Series and it is on these occasions where the two sides along with BARLA, commenced talks on uniting Cumbria in a league. 

Once the league was agreed and the final detail was being added, the RFL protested strongly at having the word amateur contained in the league's name, as Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby League obviously wouldn't align correctly with; Northwest Men's League and Yorkshire Men's League. 

The RFL did also expect the Cumbrians to run their league under the proposed RFL operational rules which would then have allowed permit players to play in the league. Sadly for the RFL, the shrewd Cumbrians saw through that and politely declined.

This would have been nearly the final piece of the RFL permit player jigsaw with the introduction of permit players in the NCL imminent, this would have completed an outlet for all the pro clubs to play their surplus signings due to the lack of competition at this level; reserve grade, A teams, under 20's, call it what you want in the professional game.

Edited by Marauder, 30 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#57 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

The only points I made after you asked the question who is doing what in Cumbrian was to mention the source I've used to track the league, I suppose what may have touched a nerve is the fact that the website seems to have airbrushed out anything BARLA, this seems strange seeing as they have put money into the competition.

The website I believe is ran by Alan Davidson/Anthony Atherton of the RFL as the league don't have the resources to run a website and keep it up to date and knowing them two guys there wont be anything untoward in the lack of a mention of BARLA as they are both honest genuine rugby league people

The administrators in Cumbria are making a great fist of reviving the open age scene in the county and everyone including the RFL and BARLA have played a key role in that process

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#58 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

The website I believe is ran by Alan Davidson/Anthony Atherton of the RFL as the league don't have the resources to run a website and keep it up to date and knowing them two guys there wont be anything untoward in the lack of a mention of BARLA as they are both honest genuine rugby league people

The administrators in Cumbria are making a great fist of reviving the open age scene in the county and everyone including the RFL and BARLA have played a key role in that process

I know they have, but I'd be asking the question why BARLA do not get a mention on the website and as nice as they are you have to remember who their paymasters are. 

#59 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Its an example of collaborative working, It is pretty obvious to all and sundry that BARLA have had a major role in the setting up of this league so whether a badge is on the website or not matters very little and you are making an issue out of nothing. The RFL are the NGB whether we like it or not, Ant and Daisy are in the mix helping up here and the relationship is working, much to your chagrin I believe.
Cumbria is governed by its own board of management and contrary to your beliefs Marauder, know their own minds and will not be rode rough shod over, which the RFL have already found out, we work with BARLA very closely, Mr Prior and Mr Fagge help us a great deal, the game has changed for better or worst but we will continue to do what we believe is right for players, the club and the game in Cumbria and always with the full backing of the clubs by presenting all facts, opinions and options to allow everyone to come to their own decisions be it Barla, RFL or our own way.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#60 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Here goes with what I've found out but I do suspect you already know.

Yes the Cumbrians used the RFL resources, two paid RFL employees who now by the way, sit on the Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby League committee as secretary and chair along with their volunteer colleagues.

For your information,  the West Cumbrians and the Barrow lads get together every year for the BARLA County Tri-Series and it is on these occasions where the two sides along with BARLA, commenced talks on uniting Cumbria in a league. 

Once the league was agreed and the final detail was being added, the RFL protested strongly at having the word amateur contained in the league's name, as Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby League obviously wouldn't align correctly with; Northwest Men's League and Yorkshire Men's League. 

The RFL did also expect the Cumbrians to run their league under the proposed RFL operational rules which would then have allowed permit players to play in the league. Sadly for the RFL, the shrewd Cumbrians saw through that and politely declined.

This would have been nearly the final piece of the RFL permit player jigsaw with the introduction of permit players in the NCL imminent, this would have completed an outlet for all the pro clubs to play their surplus signings due to the lack of competition at this level; reserve grade, A teams, under 20's, call it what you want in the professional game.

Can you confirm what evidence you have that this is imminent.

You seem to put sweeping statements adn im not sure how you can back these up you have no involvement with a NCL club and on a previous post congratualte the way the management run the competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users