Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Would this make the Challenge Cup more competitive?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 rlno1

rlno1
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

By playing 4 quarters of 20 minutes rather than two halves of 40 in the earlier rounds of the Challenge Cup, would this make games againt Super League teams more competitive as the lower sides could regroup at each break rather than get steam rolled as the fatigue sets in late in each half.

4 quarters use to be played in the Australian cup competition in the 70's and 80's and did help level things out as the weaker team could stick with the stronger side over the 80 minutes.

Edited by rlno1, 18 March 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like a good idea, would also mean extra tv ad slots for Sky

#3 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Apply the same rules on overseas players, only one against championship teams none against Ch 1 teams.

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

By playing 4 quarters of 20 minutes rather than two halves of 40 in the earlier rounds of the Challenge Cup, would this make games againt Super League teams more competitive as the lower sides could regroup at each break rather than get steam rolled as the fatigue sets in late in each half.

4 quarters use to be played in the Australian cup competition in the 70's and 80's and did help level things out as the weaker team could stick with the stronger side over the 80 minutes.

Of course by that logic, the Super League side will also be returning to the pitch more refreshed as well...
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Of course by that logic, the Super League side will also be returning to the pitch more refreshed as well...

Yeah that was my first thought too.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Make the SL players jog round the field for 10 mins, doing 20 press ups in each corner.

Can't see that the idea would have much impact, although I do agree with the suggestion re overseas players

#7 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

######

Edited by chuffer, 18 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#8 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Make the SL players jog round the field for 10 mins, doing 20 press ups in each corner.

Can't see that the idea would have much impact, although I do agree with the suggestion re overseas players

Wouldn't pulling some of the big name players out spoil the game for a lot of fans though? After all if you follow a championship side, a cup match is the only place you're going to see some of these stars and you want to see your team against the top teams not some slimmed down version.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

A lot of the time it's the overseas players who enthuse about the Cup the most.

Back home I used to stay up when I was a kid and watch the Cup final on tv.

And so on.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Once we've all got used to watching 4 quarters we can then introduce big shoulder pads and crash helmets.
Rugby league,always the innovator

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

A lot of the time it's the overseas players who enthuse about the Cup the most.

Back home I used to stay up when I was a kid and watch the Cup final on tv.

And so on.

Do the Aussies even take the Challenge Cup final live now?

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Wouldn't pulling some of the big name players out spoil the game for a lot of fans though? After all if you follow a championship side, a cup match is the only place you're going to see some of these stars and you want to see your team against the top teams not some slimmed down version.

Or you just might fancy your team's chances of an upset. Why should two teams drawn against each other be subject to different quota rules?

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Do the Aussies even take the Challenge Cup final live now?

No idea. But I mean players now and of yesteryear, so 10-20 years ago as kids.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Or you just might fancy your team's chances of an upset. Why should two teams drawn against each other be subject to different quota rules?

Just to be clear, should the Super League club only pick players that together would be able to fit under a Championship salary cap? And should Championship clubs be forced to only pick players willing to play for free when they face amateur sides?

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

It's a tough one, but I would support making some changes to freshen it up. The problem, as with all of these things is that you need to think of the consequences of any decision you make:

a) Limit overseas players to 1 - as has been mentioned, fans get robbed of seeing potential star players.

B) Give the lower division team home advantage - I like this idea, but it could affect teams financially. It may be better for somebody like Keighley to get drawn at Wigan than at home. Even though the crowd at Wigan would be low, they may end up better off financially as it would be higher than at Keighley.

c) Have a certain percentage of the 17 under 24 for early rounds - this could help, again it could mean robbing fans of the chance of seeing star players and drag the crowd down.

I'm not against doing something with the rules for the Challenge Cup - Cricket does it, maybe we should explore it?

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Just to be clear, should the Super League club only pick players that together would be able to fit under a Championship salary cap? And should Championship clubs be forced to only pick players willing to play for free when they face amateur sides?

Just to be clear. Confound you.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Lets play the games in 8 x 10 minute slots FFS, rugby league is and always has been a game of attriction, while we are at it lets handicap teams as well.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

It's a tough one, but I would support making some changes to freshen it up. The problem, as with all of these things is that you need to think of the consequences of any decision you make:

a) Limit overseas players to 1 - as has been mentioned, fans get robbed of seeing potential star players.

B) Give the lower division team home advantage - I like this idea, but it could affect teams financially. It may be better for somebody like Keighley to get drawn at Wigan than at home. Even though the crowd at Wigan would be low, they may end up better off financially as it would be higher than at Keighley.

c) Have a certain percentage of the 17 under 24 for early rounds - this could help, again it could mean robbing fans of the chance of seeing star players and drag the crowd down.

I'm not against doing something with the rules for the Challenge Cup - Cricket does it, maybe we should explore it?

Do both, i.e.
1/ Lowest tier team at home
2/ Same overseas rules apply to both clubs (i.e. 1 for a SL v Co-Op Champ clash)

Most overseas players here are not real stars anyway so it would be no real crowd turnoff. At least the biggest star can play for the SL clubs. Fans would turnout in far greater numbers for a close game. Also it forces SL clubs to play youth.

Should SL clubs make the final as expected then they could play the strongest squads. The other great thing about the overseas rule, would be that a top SL side wanting to win the CCup might be more inclined to go fully homegrown should shocks against coop clubs happen regularly

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Do both, i.e.
1/ Lowest tier team at home
2/ Same overseas rules apply to both clubs (i.e. 1 for a SL v Co-Op Champ clash)

Its SL v Kingstone Press Champ clash... ;)
Posted Image

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

It's a fair suggestion. Would allow semi pro players to catch their breath a bit (SL players would be a lot fitter anyway so shouldn't make "as big" a difference to their fitness to have rest). It would also allow for more ad slots, making it more valuable to the other terrestrial channels.

In terms of keeping the competition (and sport) as pure as possible though, I'd say no. Stick to the norm.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users