Best stand offs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

With just less than a week to go to our next match I just thought I'd ask who you think was Fevs best ever stand off? I can't go back as far as a lot of you guys but from the stand offs I've seen I would say its between steadman and pee wee for me.

Edited by thundergaz, 18 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#2 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

With just less than a week to go to our next match I just thought I'd ask who you think was Fevs best ever stand off? I can't go back as far as a lot of you guys but from the stand offs I've seen I would say its between steadman and pee wee for me.

joe mullaney-next
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#3 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Agree old rover also best pair of half backs with don fox

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Agreed OR.

I ran a poll on here a few years back about Rovers Best Player in each position. Forum vets many remember it. It was an interesting thing, but of course biased towards modern players as many folk just simply wouldn't know/remember players from previous generations.

These were the results of stand-off:

STAND-OFF

Joe Mullaney [ 12 ]
Ivor Lingard [ 3 ]
Mel Mason [ 1 ]
John Newlove [ 16 ]
Alan Banks [ 0 ]
Graham Steadman [ 19 ]
Martin Pearson [ 6 ]
Total Votes: 57

#5 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Joe Mullaney,

#6 roversspud

roversspud
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I was brought up on John Newlove and Mel Mason outside Steve Nash and then Phil Butler. Spoilt.....wasn't I?
"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

#7 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

John Newlove for me then Steadman. Steve Evans wasn't a bad stand off by the way.

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Going right back
1. Ray Cording
2. John Newlove
3. Joe Mullaney

Often a stand off was only as good as his scrum half. Also Cording started as a winger and could side step of either foot and was very fast. Haveing Evans as his half back partner helped

#9 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Excuse spelling still not well 'having'.

#10 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

John Newlove one of the most underrated players i've seen. Joes equal in all but pace. Steady, brilliant in attack but Joe has him well beaten on defence. so for me it has to be my boyhood hero,Joe
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Of the ones I got to see, it has to be Steadman, although I can't quite forgive him for turning to the dark side.

#12 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Doesn't Andy Kain get a mention, I know we're in the second tier so probably doesn't count but can't fault his attack or defence.
I remember Steadman scoring a few tries fed by Deryck Fox that was fun to watch but today's players are athletes so very hard to compare with other generations and compete with our memories and emotions of watching our past heroes.

Edited by Stratobill, 19 March 2013 - 05:11 AM.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I absolutely loved Ivor (Lightning) Lingard, who was more highly rated than Carl Dooler at the time. I often wonder if he would have been better than Hardisty if He'd stayed in this country, but his period at Rovers was all too short and sweet.

#14 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

signed for Paramatta i seem to recall.

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I absolutely loved Ivor (Lightning) Lingard, who was more highly rated than Carl Dooler at the time. I often wonder if he would have been better than Hardisty if He'd stayed in this country, but his period at Rovers was all too short and sweet.

i keep forgetting about Ivor because his fev career was short, but i agree, brilliant player
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

signed for Paramatta i seem to recall.

Yes. He was a great success there, and later coached at the club, but not first grade.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Doesn't Andy Kain get a mention, I know we're in the second tier so probably doesn't count but can't fault his attack or defence.
I remember Steadman scoring a few tries fed by Deryck Fox that was fun to watch but today's players are athletes so very hard to compare with other generations and compete with our memories and emotions of watching our past heroes.

The poll was held in about 2006 IIRC. Pre-Kainy days them.........

#18 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

As much as I hate to say it there wasn't a finer athlete than Graham Steadman, in any era. In a sprinting competition, he was second only to Martin Offiah.

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

As much as I hate to say it there wasn't a finer athlete than Graham Steadman, in any era. In a sprinting competition, he was second only to Martin Offiah.

that's right Andrew, but he couldn't tackle to save his life. then he went on to be defensive coach for ireland and scotland in rugby union. what was that all about.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

that's right Andrew, but he couldn't tackle to save his life. then he went on to be defensive coach for ireland and scotland in rugby union. what was that all about.

Didn't he also play a few games at FB for c@s OR? So someone must of thought he could tackle but yeah I agree with you OR he was poor defensively but by heck did he make up for it with his attacking skills. He was a great player but after he went to the dark side he became a good player 😄😄😄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users