Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Best stand offs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

On the subject of John Newlove I came across him hiking in Brockadale woods. I greated him and he said 'Thank God, somebody remembers me'. Attends matches and see him quite regularly when selling GG tickets. He had the best body swerve I has ever seen on any player. A superb player who was underrated as OR said.

#22 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Didn't he also play a few games at FB for c@s OR? So someone must of thought he could tackle but yeah I agree with you OR he was poor defensively but by heck did he make up for it with his attacking skills. He was a great player but after he went to the dark side he became a good player

Daryl van de Velde converted Graham Steadman to Full Back. This was serendipity for Graham, as he would not have broke into the GB team at stand off, as he would have had to usurp the likes of, Edwards, Schofield, Powell, Davies and Arkwright. With the demise of Steve Hamson he found an international niche at FB, this was highlighted in a superb performance by Steady in the second test v Australia on the 92 tour, where he scored a magnificent, opportunist try from Full Back.

#23 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Daryl van de Velde converted Graham Steadman to Full Back. This was serendipity for Graham, as he would not have broke into the GB team at stand off, as he would have had to usurp the likes of, Edwards, Schofield, Powell, Davies and Arkwright. With the demise of Steve Hamson he found an international niche at FB, this was highlighted in a superb performance by Steady in the second test v Australia on the 92 tour, where he scored a magnificent, opportunist try from Full Back.

With hinsight, this was his natural postion. York stuck him at stand-off as he was their only attacking force. Once he came to Fev, coaches really should have seen that his strength was speed and devastating open field running, not distribution and organisation. Peter Fox moved him to full-back at the start of 1987/88 for a couple of games but Steady dropped the odd bomb and Foxy bottled it and moved him back to s/o.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

is that when we beat em 33-10 at melbourne
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

is that when we beat em 33-10 at melbourne

It was old en.

#26 oldrover