Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Coach

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Whatever you do dont go on to the RLFans website, lots of people enjoying our demise. I thought RL was a sport where we all stuck together through think and thin. I guess not.

That hasn't existed for years barnie,Lewis,Wood and SL have seen to that.
You and rochdale are the first to go but you wont be the last thats for sure

#22 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I dont know why we will go. What kind of a threat do we pose to suoer league

All super league clubs need to do is rein in the wages they pay to the first teamers and plough it back into their academies. Re start the older academy team lesgue. Dual reg as manifested this year goes and we go back to how it was before and say the experiment failed

Why why why is every change the end?

#23 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

All i can wish for Mark is at the end of this season there are at least 10 clubs from the championships that dont want to play SL contracted players 'en mass, and then we can reform the championship as it was last season

#24 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'm inclined to agree with that JPMC.

#25 Lionhearted

Lionhearted
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

There is one big parallel with the appointment of Stevie Mac. He has become a teacher and is now wanting a part-time coaching appointment. Experienced assistant coach at Warrington, coach of England A and Cumbria, an impressive cv for a new coach at Championship level. We may have just landed a top man due to his personal circumstances, Warrington link aside. Time to cheer up.

#26 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

I drove down lumber lane on my way home and saw one of our big name signings from previous seasons mr holroyd going the other way.
A man who claimed a good wage every week but managed to get a five match ban for his behaviour and could barely be bothered to bend his back most others

Would we prefer a team of sad tired signings stealing a living like him or the young lads we saw on Sunday killing themselves for the Lions

I really struggle to see what difference it makes as to whether we sign youngsters from Warrington for a year or have a team full of holroyds here for the same length of time

I don't know what difference it makes as I say. ..but I know which I prefer. ..and its not mr h.

Now I'm disappointed that its not Watson for coach but I really do guess that chambers has been involved with the team prior to Sunday's performance.

I also strongly suspect that he wont be a duck egg

Im prepared to give him a chance

Who cares what people think?
I've listened to moaners and abuse in my face for donkey's years.

You know what I just laugh back

Good luck to our new coach.

Well said!
Posted Image

#27 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Im not going to lie. I was very disappointed when I heard that Chambers had been made coach.

I wanted a coach who could bring something to the team that we dont have already, and personally I think we have failed to achieve that. Watto and Marlon have done a great job with the lads, and if the decision was made on a financial basis I think theres no doubt it should have been those two lads who got the job.

Having said that, im willing to give Chambers a chance. Theres no way I can make a proper judgment on him before iv seen what he can do with the side. However, I think just about everyone will by hypercritical from the start, and if theres any signs that the team spirit and effort the lads have built up under Watto is disappearing, then I think everyone will be calling for his head, even after a game or two. It will also be interesting to see the percentage of Warrington lads in our side from now on.

I just hope he knows what hes got himself in for!!!

Edited by Furryenzo, 19 March 2013 - 01:12 AM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#28 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

There is one big parallel with the appointment of Stevie Mac. He has become a teacher and is now wanting a part-time coaching appointment. Experienced assistant coach at Warrington, coach of England A and Cumbria, an impressive cv for a new coach at Championship level. We may have just landed a top man due to his personal circumstances, Warrington link aside. Time to cheer up.

I agree, give him a chance.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#29 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Gary Chambers was a very hard and capable player, and quite likely a capable coach too.

The concerns many people are expressing do not centre on his abilities par ce - the thing that matters is the conditions of the appointment.

i.e. Does he have an unfettered remit to develop Swinton Lions, or is he also expected to give focus to development of young Warrington players and prioritise surplus/injured Warrington first teamers getting game time to aid their match fitness? If its the latter, this appointment confirms John and Paul Kidd's vision for the future of Swinton Lions is that of a feeder club.

In truth its already happening. Ominous, for example, that Kevin Penny appears to have been dropped in favour of a Warrington player against Doncaster. Wouldn't be the greatest surprise if he's the next man out of the exit door.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#30 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

You tell us Phil......

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Maybe he was injured as has been stated.

#32 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Ps par ce?

Eh?

I thought you studied latin!?

#33 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Totally agree. Obviously he'll be promoting Swinton Lions in the school where he is teaching and others nearby with perhaps the opportunity to get Martin Moana and some players (or coaches from Folly) in the local schools from time to time.
Let's give this experienced coach a chance and get behind him and the lads that pull on a Swinton shirt and have shown a lot of commitment over the last few weeks under the stewardship of Watto and Marlon.
Hopefully the Club have communicated in depth with Watto and Marlon regarding the appointment and why Watto hasn't got it and they can work well together to the benefit of the Lions.
I would definitely expect an increase in the number of Warrington youth players in the short-term as Chambers will obviously know these players and their capabilities better than anyone.....in any line of work where you have the power to hire and fire the tendency is, where they are required, to bring in the good people you know as it's a damn sight easier than looking elsewhere when you've already got enough on your plate learning a new role etc.

Edited by Paul Davidson, 19 March 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#34 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Gary Chambers was a very hard and capable player, and quite likely a capable coach too.

The concerns many people are expressing do not centre on his abilities par ce - the thing that matters is the conditions of the appointment.

i.e. Does he have an unfettered remit to develop Swinton Lions, or is he also expected to give focus to development of young Warrington players and prioritise surplus/injured Warrington first teamers getting game time to aid their match fitness? If its the latter, this appointment confirms John and Paul Kidd's vision for the future of Swinton Lions is that of a feeder club.

In truth its already happening. Ominous, for example, that Kevin Penny appears to have been dropped in favour of a Warrington player against Doncaster. Wouldn't be the greatest surprise if he's the next man out of the exit door.

So you know the reason Kev Penny was dropped do you.? Have you spoken to Kevin or indeed Watto.? I very much doubt you have.
Now if as you assume he was dropped to accommodate a Warrington lad then doesn't that smack of Watto being a yes man, since you felt he should have been given the full time post.
As it us I am aware why Kev Penny didn't play but it isn't for discussion on here, it's between his coach and himself.

#35 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

So you know the reason Kev Penny was dropped do you.? Have you spoken to Kevin or indeed Watto.? I very much doubt you have.
Now if as you assume he was dropped to accommodate a Warrington lad then doesn't that smack of Watto being a yes man, since you felt he should have been given the full time post.
As it us I am aware why Kev Penny didn't play but it isn't for discussion on here, it's between his coach and himself.

You've clearly been having too many late nights, Alan.

I have never stated that I wanted Ian Watson to be given the post as Swinton Lions coach, which by the way is a part-time one and not full-time.

What I said was:

The nature of the appointment will also tell us a lot about what sort of future John and Paul Kidd want for the club.

John and Paul are firmly at a crossroads. They can either reflect that mistakes have been made in the manner of the partnership with Warrington and try to pull back from those errors of judgement, or just keep digging a bigger hole.

and

While I can understand people pointing towards Ian Watson, I think a bigger scale of change is needed to get the team re-foccused and re-energised.

There was no pandering for Ian Watson to be given the job there, as far as I can see.

#36 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Ps par ce?

Eh?

I thought you studied latin!?

Keith once speculated on here that I had studied latin, but he was incorrect and this was pointed out at the time.

It wasn't even an option at St Mary's RC High School, Astley.

#37 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Good luck Mr Chambers, not my first choice but unlike some of the detractors on who obviously were present at the interviews and also are able to see into the future regarding our 'demise' I am willing to give you a fair crack at it. Hopefully you can show the gob almighty know it alls exactly what they do know. Naff all.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#38 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Chambers was in the stands on Sunday in the comfy seats, probably has been monitoring the team for a while on a match day. I would love to see the boo boys comments on Sunday if we turn over Batley.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#39 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Keith once speculated on here that I had studied latin, but he was incorrect and this was pointed out at the time.

It wasn't even an option at St Mary's RC High School, Astley.

Well dont Wikipedia that or you might get embarrassed.

#40 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well, well, well, seems that the "little bird" was right after all, it is Gary Chambers.

On the face of it, it may be, as many fans fear, an iffy appointment regarding the integrity of the club.
BUT, for Heaven's sake, let's at least give him the opportunity to show us what he can or cannot do.
And don't forget, the Watto/Marlon dynamic duo is still there to lend their proven qualities to the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users