Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Coach

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Totally agree. Obviously he'll be promoting Swinton Lions in the school where he is teaching and others nearby with perhaps the opportunity to get Martin Moana and some players (or coaches from Folly) in the local schools from time to time.

Good spot, Paul. I think he teaches at Harrop Fold in Walkden, so as near to traditional Lions territory as you can get without an M27 postcode. I don't think he's a bad appointment at all. Most Championship clubs would be happy with it, but I can see why people have concerns over the process and the Wires link up.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#42 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Good spot, Paul. I think he teaches at Harrop Fold in Walkden, so as near to traditional Lions territory as you can get without an M27 postcode. I don't think he's a bad appointment at all. Most Championship clubs would be happy with it, but I can see why people have concerns over the process and the Wires link up.

After speaking with Watto, i believe Gary is in actual fact a deputy head at Harrop Fold.

#43 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Chambers was in the stands on Sunday in the comfy seats, probably has been monitoring the team for a while on a match day. I would love to see the boo boys comments on Sunday if we turn over Batley.

Don't go on Sunday Tim you will be the only one at Batley if you do !!!

#44 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

may as well move into Wilderspool now.......drop your fans for more local ones and rename......Warrington Wizards ?? havent they folded or merged with someone ??

SWARRINGTON

RIP SWINTON LIONS

God I bet that took you ages and ages to come up with that.

Tell me did you play around with a few words at first before the final product because I certainly am impressed by the originality of your post.

Well done you your special.

#45 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Chambers was in the stands on Sunday in the comfy seats, probably has been monitoring the team for a while on a match day. I would love to see the boo boys comments on Sunday if we turn over Batley.

I would like to see the 'boo boys' tell him to his face!

Edited by LOYALION, 19 March 2013 - 04:35 PM.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#46 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

may as well move into Wilderspool now.......drop your fans for more local ones and rename......Warrington Wizards ?? havent they folded or merged with someone ??

SWARRINGTON

RIP SWINTON LIONS

brilliant. and you lot wonder why people hate ya.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#47 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Good appointment I believe, ignore the ne'er do wells. He knows how to treat young players and personally knows a number of them. I am sure Watto will work well with him to his own advantage in terms of knowledge and technique and vice versa.

As with all coaches he will ultimately be judged on results. Leave it there and let's get behind the team.

#48 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Probably boring comment for some people but ....Good Luck Gary, your our coach now and surely all Swinton supporters will want you to be successful

#49 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Probably boring comment for some people but ....Good Luck Gary, your our coach now and surely all Swinton supporters will want you to be successful

Best comment of the week.

You could have of course flowered it up into a twenty paragraph essay/biography......

Edited by mark richardson, 19 March 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#50 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

sorry people I am not feeling the same excitment as every one else, don't get me wrong I will give him a chance. For me bad appointment and shows our intentions as a club.

There is one question I want to ask, why was Gary Chambers picked as coach? John said there has been loads of interest in the position, so why have we appointed a coach with no experience at this level?

I really hope John was not told who his next coach was going to be. I know I am presuming but something does not add up..

I will be there saturday cheering the lads on the pitch and for 80 mins putting the political shambles aside

#51 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Why not come up to the Borough Social Club on Thursday night and show Watto the support he deserves for his testimonial !!

Riggy

#52 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

sorry people I am not feeling the same excitment as every one else, don't get me wrong I will give him a chance. For me bad appointment and shows our intentions as a club.

There is one question I want to ask, why was Gary Chambers picked as coach? John said there has been loads of interest in the position, so why have we appointed a coach with no experience at this level?

I really hope John was not told who his next coach was going to be. I know I am presuming but something does not add up..

I will be there saturday cheering the lads on the pitch and for 80 mins putting the political shambles aside

well done Andy.

#53 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

After speaking with Watto, i believe Gary is in actual fact a deputy head at Harrop Fold.

Yes, that rings a bell, Alan. A great opportunity, if packaged correctly.

It's difficult to argue about experience. There's coaching at club and representative level, but especially, bridging that gap between youth rugby and open age. Hopefully that will translate into i) building a relationship with the local game and ii) turning some of the "Warrington" players into long-term "Swinton" players.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#54 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Why not come up to the Borough Social Club on Thursday night and show Watto the support he deserves for his testimonial !!

Riggy

I'll be there Riggy!!! Plus 3 others with me.

#55 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yes hope it goes well! Hope there's a good turnout.

#56 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Best comment of the week.

You could have of course flowered it up into a twenty paragraph essay/biography......

Or mentioned Necromancers. Im still bowed over with that one!

#57 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Im still a little baffled though myself. Warrington's website says a long goodbye to Gary Chambers, surely highlighting that he is LEAVING them for US! He isn't doing both jobs, still on the Warrington payroll or anything connected with them so why would he do anything to jeopardize or compromise his job with us.
Welcome to the Lion's Den Gary and best of luck to you!

#58 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Isn't there an age limit on here like Facebook?

#59 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Isn't there an age limit on here like Facebook?

Mental age limit, that'll stop him
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies