Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shaun Edwards

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Read an article in which he said the lions snub nearly made him quit rugby union and head down under to the NRL, where he had received lots of offers. I would love to see Edwards back in league and preferably as coach of England, but I can't see it myself as with andy farrell the pull of union on the world stage is to great both financial and personal honours.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'm not sure why Edwards is qualified to coach England RL. Has he even coached RL before?

#3 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Legend has it he 'coached' Wigan through much of his playing career.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm not sure why Edwards is qualified to coach England RL. Has he even coached RL before?

Shaun edwards knows rugby league inside out and is obviously very well thought of, hence the numerous NRL offers. Also Judging The recent tenure of Steve McNamara, neither is he.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's actually something that really annoys me in my normal business life. People think that somebody who is a good 'do-er' will transfer to being the best manager. Often it is miles out.

Just because somebody is good at throwing a rugby ball, or kicking it accurately, is not the same thing as them being a good manager.

It is very rare that we see absolutely brilliant players in any sport go on to become brilliant managers.

Most of the best managers had modest playing success at best in their sport.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Shaun edwards knows rugby league inside out and is obviously very well thought of, hence the numerous NRL offers. Also Judging The recent tenure of Steve McNamara, neither is he.

I'd be stunned if the 'numerous NRL offers' line was true.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

It's actually something that really annoys me in my normal business life. People think that somebody who is a good 'do-er' will transfer to being the best manager. Often it is miles out.

Just because somebody is good at throwing a rugby ball, or kicking it accurately, is not the same thing as them being a good manager.

It is very rare that we see absolutely brilliant players in any sport go on to become brilliant managers.

Absolutely. It is often the fact that their skills didn't come easy which made them understand how they do what they do, unlike the naturally-gifted players, because it's so instinctive and simple to them. How many of England's 1966 Word Cup winning footballers made it in management? Workhorse Jack Charlton and Alan Ball are the only two I can think of.

Edwards was always going to be good at the coaching side, due to his work ethic, furious intensity and concentration on the job in hand.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

the NRL, where he had received lots of offers.

Yeah, ok Shaun, whatever you say.

A Fev Blog

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

im sure he did receive plenty of offers, though i doubt any were for Head coaches roles.. and to be honest theres absolutely no chance of an NRL club giving a current British RL coach a head coaches position, let alone a RU coach, albeit one with a good RL pedigree.

The only coaching role that would be offered to any Brit over there would be as an assistant first.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

0 is a number...
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

In the Guardian article from which this thread has arisen, Edwards speaks only of the possibility of "re-learning" his (rugby league) "trade" as an assistant coach in the ARL... nowhere does it suggest that he had received any concrete offers at all.

#12 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it though.
People called Romans they go the house

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it though.

Absolutely, but for fans (who won't have necessarily seen his working skills) to want him as National manager is strange. This isn't just this thread, it comes up time and time again.

#14 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like a classic agent's line to me..
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#15 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Absolutely, but for fans (who won't have necessarily seen his working skills) to want him as National manager is strange. This isn't just this thread, it comes up time and time again.

I agree and find it a bit strange, too.

But I also don't think it takes a massive leap of faith to see him as a top rugby coach.
People called Romans they go the house

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I agree and find it a bit strange, too.

But I also don't think it takes a massive leap of faith to see him as a top rugby coach.

I actually think it is for a fan who will actually know very little of what he is really like in his work career.

You could make an assumption that he would be a success based on his management in RU, but tactically we have no idea whether he would be a success in a game which has changed a fair bit since he was last involved.

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I am an adequate "do er" but a terrible manager. I have had every management post I have ever been given quietly taken off me in short order.

#18 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

He invented the blitz defense with wales! A different way of saying moving up quickly in a Line instead of waiting for them to run at you,

Wonder how he thought of that one!

#19 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

I look forward to the day he comes home...

#20 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Some strangely negative posts in this thread. Edwards is a RL legend who has developed a rep as one of the best coaches in RU. It would be a massive publicity boost for our game should he ever come back, and I can't see why anyone would really be against it.