Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shaun Edwards

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

In the Guardian article from which this thread has arisen, Edwards speaks only of the possibility of "re-learning" his (rugby league) "trade" as an assistant coach in the ARL... nowhere does it suggest that he had received any concrete offers at all.

After finishing as a player Edwards went downunder to study their coaching methods under Wayne Bennett

Edited by Marauder, 19 March 2013 - 11:22 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

After finishing as a player Edwards went downunder to study their coaching methods under Wayne Bennett

Exactly - and I'm sure that's all he was suggesting in the aforementioned article. He wasn't boasting about having a line of Australian rugby league clubs pleading with him to coach them.

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Edwards is far more modest than people give him credit for, he is also a sponge, soaking up sporting coaching knowledge.

Edwards would very quickly adapt back into rugby from union, If you think he has not continued to study in detail the game that made him, then, you very much under-estimate him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

He is, from what I've read about his time with Wales RU, an excellent and inspirational man-manager, and has years of Rugby League experience to draw upon.

I'd like to see him back in the game for sure.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'd love to see him back in the game, and anybody else who has ever moved across to Union, but he would need to learn his trade and not be given the role of England Head Coach.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'd love to see him back in the game, and anybody else who has ever moved across to Union, but he would need to learn his trade and not be given the role of England Head Coach.

I don't think anyone sensible is saying he should parachuted in at the top. Maybe assistant coach at Salford, perhaps? Are you reading this, Dr K? ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I don't think anyone sensible is saying he should parachuted in at the top. Maybe assistant coach at Salford, perhaps? Are you reading this, Dr K? ;)

It has been a suggestion time and again on discussions around England manager - the likes of Edwards and Farrell are brought up regularly.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

It has been a suggestion time and again on discussions around England manager - the likes of Edwards and Farrell are brought up regularly.

I did say "anyone sensible". :D

That said, if Edwards did return to the game, with his ambition, he might well end up in that job at some time in the future.

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,018 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

he won't be back anytime soon. Why would he want itchy wool when he has smooth silk?

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I did say "anyone sensible". :D

That said, if Edwards did return to the game, with his ambition, he might well end up in that job at some time in the future.

Good point :D

Agreed.

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Last season, Shaun Edwards was suspended by Wales for one match for getting into a heated dispute with another of the backroom staff. He's always been volatile and possibly Warren Gatland thought, or was advised, that a more amenable attitude was expected for a coach of a touring team.

He has done pretty well for Wales in Gatland's absence and probably has had a bigger personal responsibility. I think Wales are touring during the summer and he may be co-coach of the touring party.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

In the Guardian article from which this thread has arisen, Edwards speaks only of the possibility of "re-learning" his (rugby league) "trade" as an assistant coach in the ARL... nowhere does it suggest that he had received any concrete offers at all.

Yep. Your statement of the facts seems to be being largely ignored though.

I wonder why?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yep. Your statement of the facts seems to be being largely ignored though.

I wonder why?

maybe because most people hadnt read the article and assumed the OP hadnt made stuff up.
The conversation has sort of moved on from the NRL offers.

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

maybe because most people hadnt read the article and assumed the OP hadnt made stuff up.
The conversation has sort of moved on from the NRL offers.

This, in my case. Ta dave.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users