Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Fev away predictions

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Mate I guess you are a Wire fan who has a interest in Workington.He asked me can Gore kick in play and goals.Gilmore can do both and is a great talent.You will see in the next few yrs.

#62 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

They only insist on a quick turnaround fixture if it is like a playoff or something, we hopefully if of course it is cancelled can pencil in a nice summer weekend to suit both parties

#63 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Mate I guess you are a Wire fan who has a interest in Workington.He asked me can Gore kick in play and goals.Gilmore can do both and is a great talent.You will see in the next few yrs.

I know my friend I was just wondering where a person asking about Grants capability with his boot ended up talking about a lad playing in Widnes under 19's who isn't playing at Workington ?? and yes I have had connections with Warrington hence why I know that Thomas has plenty of potential and we will see in years to come where that talent comes too fruition, I very much doubt it will be playing on loan at Workington ( no disrespect ). As for Grant he played the majority of his time at half back in the academy NOT at hooker and the 50 plus games I've seen him play he has always made a bigger impact when playing in the halves .Widnes academy used a lad called Hughes, then Atkin, Ball, Singleton and finally a lad from Widnes who never got much game time and his name escapes me , Grant very rarely played at nine it is only in the last year hes has made an appearance there for the first team.

Edited by wonderofwood, 22 March 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#64 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Why? The game will only be played Monday or Tuesday so it will give you less turn around for the haven game.

no chance gaz. Would be re arranged by mutual consent. I personally wouldn't be disappointed if the game is off

#65 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

no chance gaz. Would be re arranged by mutual consent. I personally wouldn't be disappointed if the game is off

Everyone in Workington is doing the snow dance :lol: :lol:

#66 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Cheers lads. Its good to know he has a kicking game out of hand as I feel apart from when Luppy took charge of it in the second half of the Batley game we have been very poor in this area. The Batley halves gave a kicking masterclass compared to our halves.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#67 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Snow wonder we're hoping for snow . Sorry.

Edited by DavidM, 22 March 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#68 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Snow wonder we're hoping for snow . Sorry.

You've got your wish as we have a fair bit of snow but the forecast for tomorrow and Sunday is for dry weather so if the forecast is correct I'm in no doubt the game will be on.

#69 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Big if with our forecasters !! If its on we'll get it out of the way and give it a good dig no doubt.

Edited by DavidM, 22 March 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#70 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Big if ...!

True David but I think our club will want to get the game played badly after last Thursdays game we will want to get bk to winning ways Asap. So I think our club will be doing everything to get this game on as we definitely don't want a clogged fixture list with the NRC and challenge cup coming up.

Edited by thundergaz, 22 March 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#71 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I know my friend I was just wondering where a person asking about Grants capability with his boot ended up talking about a lad playing in Widnes under 19's who isn't playing at Workington ?? and yes I have had connections with Warrington hence why I know that Thomas has plenty of potential and we will see in years to come where that talent comes too fruition, I very much doubt it will be playing on loan at Workington ( no disrespect ). As for Grant he played the majority of his time at half back in the academy NOT at hooker and the 50 plus games I've seen him play he has always made a bigger impact when playing in the halves .Widnes academy used a lad called Hughes, then Atkin, Ball, Singleton and finally a lad from Widnes who never got much game time and his name escapes me , Grant very rarely played at nine it is only in the last year hes has made an appearance there for the first team.

That is my point Grant will never be a great halfback as better players at Widnes in that postion.We don't have strength at hooker and I feel his best chance at Widnes will be in this postion.That is my opinion on watching his games and also Declan Hulme is more destructive at centre than the wing.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 22 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#72 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

That is my point Grant will never be a great halfback as better players at Widnes in that postion.We don't have strength at hooker and I feel his best chance at Widnes will be in this postion.That is my opinion on watching his games and also Declan Hulme is more destructive at centre than the wing.

I disagree - I think just because Widnes don't have strength in depth at hooker doesn't mean Grant cant do a great job for Workington in the halves and give Widnes something to think about. If you have watched the last five Workington games its clear to see they are missing an injection of pace and guile in the halves as well as a decent kicking game. Grant has all this in abundance as well as being an aggressive defender. As for Hulmey, I worry about this, because sticking him out on the wing will not aid this lads development or just as importantly benefit the team but TBF they have three established centre's in Morris,Mossop and I believe rooney ( who is out injured) add to that the new lad Connor then Hulme is going to find it hard to command a starting place when they are all fit. Although I personally feel he has a lot more to offer than what they have currently seen. Maybe playing with a bit more speed and width ( something that Grant could offer) will see their outside backs show their worth.

#73 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

I disagree - I think just because Widnes don't have strength in depth at hooker doesn't mean Grant cant do a great job for Workington in the halves and give Widnes something to think about. If you have watched the last five Workington games its clear to see they are missing an injection of pace and guile in the halves as well as a decent kicking game. Grant has all this in abundance as well as being an aggressive defender. As for Hulmey, I worry about this, because sticking him out on the wing will not aid this lads development or just as importantly benefit the team but TBF they have three established centre's in Morris,Mossop and I believe rooney ( who is out injured) add to that the new lad Connor then Hulme is going to find it hard to command a starting place when they are all fit. Although I personally feel he has a lot more to offer than what they have currently seen. Maybe playing with a bit more speed and width ( something that Grant could offer) will see their outside backs show their worth.

I disagree with you as I have seen Grant Gore play a few times at halfback and is decent, but I have always prefered Gilmore,and Craven over him.Must admit never been a fan of Coyle, so I think Gore could do a job for Workington in the halves,as Coyle is awful.All opinions though and I hope he does give Betts a headache and stands out.Gore is a good tackler and has zip like a hooker.Goodluck on Sunday.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 22 March 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#74 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Have i got this wrong i did think it was a workington forum but it seems it is more to do with WIDNES???

#75 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Have i got this wrong i did think it was a workington forum but it seems it is more to do with WIDNES???

I think both posters add a lot to our forum abu as they have info about lads we see playing for us so obviously they will be talking about where the lads play and where they have seen them play.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#76 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sorry mate I suppose just some information on what seen of them and will do well at Workington.Just trying to be helpful as Declan Hulme is better at centre, and Gore should improve your halves by the sound of things.Playing players in best postions should help Workington.

#77 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

fair point Abu I will get the Adam Lawton thread deleted as well :D

#78 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

If it was just town fans it wouldn't be half as varied and interesting here . It's the variety and the different viewpoints and opinions
that makes it a good read here . Hearing what other fans think of your team and players and their moans n groans which
are usually the same as yours ! All welcome !

#79 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

we are dual reg'd with widnes and they give us some good info on what widnes players may be available to us.

#80 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Pitch inspection tomorrow 7am least you will know well in advance of setting off if game is on/off

Id be suprised if its on in all honesty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users