Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers are cheats according to Aston

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Has Powell left I not?
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Has Powell left I not?

No he's still with us.

#23 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Very good point Steve. But If this Aussie is a centre which I think we desperately need at the minute I doubt he would be a make shift centre just with the fact he's an Aussie and their average player over their is generally a good player over here. But I guess we will find out more about him in the pont & Fev tomorrow.

that James Grehan didn't cut the mustard at cas last year, went out to batley then back to oz
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#24 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

It's all soddin' mind games but what's worrying is that it seems to be working. As already said by others - after watching the game again - it's clear that fat lad was really talking about his own team. they slowed us down in the tackles and were constantly off side and yet the officials did sod all about it except penalise us.

I'm more and more convinced that whilst they don't mean to, some refs have these sort of comments at the back of their minds - thanks to this kind of sheeite stirring.

it really annoys me when git's like Aston rattlse on about how his team - being so quick and free flowing - are stopped from playing by spoiling tactics. It's the Eagles who employ the spoiling tactics and if they get away with it, the opposition are blown away.cos they can never get any attack moving.

#25 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

that James Grehan didn't cut the mustard at cas last year, went out to batley then back to oz

Pro Evo version.

Cummins Out.

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Yere always seems to play well against us with his strength out wide. Maybe it would be best to put Bostock opposite him in defence? Bozzy's only weakness in defence is against extreme pace or quick little half-backs, of which Yere is/has neither!

He was up against Andy Kain a couple of times.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#27 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

He was up against Andy Kain a couple of times.

That's probably why DP started with Bussey at stand-off in Briggs's absence, because Kain lines up in the right centre position when we are defending, which leaves him facing Yere, who he can't seem to deal with.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

That's probably why DP started with Bussey at stand-off in Briggs's absence, because Kain lines up in the right centre position when we are defending, which leaves him facing Yere, who he can't seem to deal with.

No, he's a big lad.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#29 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Pound for pound Andy Kain is the best low down tackler in the team. Plus apart from Tom Hodson he's the quickest player we have over 20/30 metres, therefore can cover line breaks on that side. In the gym his strength to mass ratio is the best in the team.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 23 March 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#30 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Pound for pound Andy Kain is the best low down tackler in the team. Plus apart from Tom Hodson he's the quickest player we have over 20/30 metres, therefore can cover line breaks on that side. In the gym his strength to mass ratio is the best in the team.

His cover tackling is very good too Andrew, but sometimes you have to tackle high up, especially near your own line. Our lightweight right-hand side struggled a bit in this department against Sheffield, mainly due to the Yere factor.

#31 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I agree with all that Andrew says, but Yere needs someone on him that doesn't tackle low but someone who stops him in his tracks because he will either crash over after the low tackle or get the ball away. Whilst I am a supporter of the low tackle, near the line Yere needs taking out ball and all.

#32 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

I was once given a good bit of advice that certainly worked for me againast bigger opposition near the line.
Tackle the ball, not the player. Allow the player to get over the line but smother the ball.
The aim being to stop the player scoring, rather than stop the player crossing the line.
Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#33 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

His cover tackling is very good too Andrew, but sometimes you have to tackle high up, especially near your own line. Our lightweight right-hand side struggled a bit in this department against Sheffield, mainly due to the Yere factor.

I agree Steve.

Steve 2 things, both slightly off topic.
1) I was never able to find your article that you wanted me to read. If you could PM it I would still like to have a read.

2) I saw an amazing game of RL on an old video the other night. It was from 1981 and it featured your kid scoring what turned out to be the winning try. I bet you can why match was famous. I leave it with you.

#34 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

I was once given a good bit of advice that certainly worked for me againast bigger opposition near the line.
Tackle the ball, not the player. Allow the player to get over the line but smother the ball.
The aim being to stop the player scoring, rather than stop the player crossing the line.

Going back some time I saw Jackie Fennel countless times at fullback stop very large oppostion near the line by going for the ball instead of the man. He either got the ball or the man swung round on Jack like an axis and fell to the ground in a literal circle. One player who Jack won't acknowledge sussed this (he played for Workington) and always turned his body so that he bumped Jack off. 99% of the time thoiugh Jack succeeded. Food for thought?

#35 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I agree Steve.

Steve 2 things, both slightly off topic.
1) I was never able to find your article that you wanted me to read. If you could PM it I would still like to have a read.

2) I saw an amazing game of RL on an old video the other night. It was from 1981 and it featured your kid scoring what turned out to be the winning try. I bet you can why match was famous. I leave it with you.

Andrew,
The attachment was in a post from last year in "THE MUSIC THREAD", which I have brought back to the front page with a recent post "FAO ANDREW VAUSE".

I can't think of the game you watched! Our Ian would have been at Huddersfield around that time, and the only televised game I can recall was on Scrumdown against Wigan in which he scored, but I think they lost? The game was infamous for the comments by Maurice Bamford in which he accused the Wigan players of racism for the brutal treatment of the Huddersfield loose-forward Tony Johnson.

#36 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Andrew,
The attachment was in a post from last year in "THE MUSIC THREAD", which I have brought back to the front page with a recent post "FAO ANDREW VAUSE".

I can't think of the game you watched! Our Ian would have been at Huddersfield around that time, and the only televised game I can recall was on Scrumdown against Wigan in which he scored, but I think they lost? The game was infamous for the comments by Maurice Bamford in which he accused the Wigan players of racism for the brutal treatment of the Huddersfield loose-forward Tony Johnson.

Correct on all counts Steve, apart from Hudd won 9-7.

Thanks for the other stuff, i'll have a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users