Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mark Aston accuses Featherstone of cheating

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ignoring whether his views on how the game is currently refereed for a moment, should this sort of statement being given to the press not mean he gets brought to the RFL with a charge of bringing the game into disrepute?

http://www.thestar.c...heats-1-5504442

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Slowing the game down is hardly cheating and is a tactic every good team in the world knows how to implement.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Slowing the game down is hardly cheating and is a tactic every good team in the world knows how to implement.

Agreed. Fev play this game fairly well, but do tend to get pulled up quite a lot when the overstep the mark of what is acceptable, much to the chargrin of the fans at times when we're on the wrong end of the penalty count, such as on Thursday v the Eagles.

My point is however that for a coach of a team to accuse the opposition of cheating in the press is in my view unnaceptable, and he should be facing a charge from the RFL for it.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

your interpretation that he is accusing Fev of being cheats is a bit overblown and reactionary considering his actual comment "there’s hands in, knees in and all the little things that are cheats and that’s frustrating but at least we won.”

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

your interpretation that he is accusing Fev of being cheats is a bit overblown and reactionary considering his actual comment "there’s hands in, knees in and all the little things that are cheats and that’s frustrating but at least we won.”

How else would you define his comments, if they are not meant to be accusing Fev of cheating? :unsure:

Please view my photos.

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Mark Aston should be rapped on the knuckles for that

It's not cheating, it's professionalism, playing to the limits of the game.

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I agree we play to the limits of the game IE very quick line speed and we make sure we put the player on his back so it takes him longer to PTB. But cheats? We play the game as professionally as we can as our set up at Fev now is a SL set up and we try to play at the intensity of a SL game and we get pulled up for it quite a lot by the refs rightly or wrongly. But in no way do we cheat we just play the game to the limits and IMO only good teams can do that.

#8 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

And how many times did we lose the ball on Thursday is suspicious circumstances? Hypocrite of the highest order.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#9 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Gaz check your pm

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#10 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Didnt hear anything about it pre-season, but after watching a couple of games from the NRL this season it seems one of the new referee directives is to have no hands on the ball once the tackle has been made, and it has had a noticeable effect on the speed of the PTB. A directive i would love to see the referee's in the UK adopt.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

As well as being out of line with his comments, which I interpret not only as a slight on Featherstone, but also as being an attack on the referee, he's also making a bit of a fool of himself, as his team were employing exactly the same tactics.

All good teams, like his and ours will push the ref to the limit they can get away with

#12 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Didnt hear anything about it pre-season, but after watching a couple of games from the NRL this season it seems one of the new referee directives is to have no hands on the ball once the tackle has been made, and it has had a noticeable effect on the speed of the PTB. A directive i would love to see the referee's in the UK adopt.

I agree, there's too much messing about during contact and the game would benefit massively if this was policed more effectively.

Do you think the extra pair of eyes that the NRL have would be of benefit over here? (at SL level anyway)

#13 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

He even hinted at it during his half time talk which was broadcast for all to hear. Nothing more than mind games to get the refs on his side and at the same time disadvantage the Eagles' closest rivals. Harrison did it last year and it worked for Fax. Hopefully the referees are smart enough to see through it. In answe to Gaz's question, yes the RFL should clamp down on this. There's an official mechanism in place for coaches to have their say on the referees.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 19 March 2013 - 01:37 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#14 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

& for me 2 referees

#15 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

& for me 2 referees

Wouldn't disagree with the idea either but where would we get the refs from? Are there enough about?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#16 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Only one coach is in line for an RFL disrepute charge for comments made last Thursday, it wont be Aston
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#17 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Only one coach is in line for an RFL disrepute charge for comments made last Thursday, it wont be Aston

A tongue in cheek statement about the most disciplined team in RL is very different from openly accusing someone of cheating and then moaning that the referee allowed it.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Harrison did it last year and it worked for Fax.
There's an official mechanism in place for coaches to have their say on the referees.

And wasn't it Powell who stood in front of the TV cameras slagging him off for it?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

What about the tongue in cheek remarks in League Express about Gareth Hewer's ability to referee at the Championship level? As much as Powell is an Eagles legend, he doesnt half throw a strop when his team loses.
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

What about the tongue in cheek remarks in League Express about Gareth Hewer's ability to referee at the Championship level? As much as Powell is an Eagles legend, he doesnt half throw a strop when his team loses.

It's more to do with the way we lose than actually losing. Your team did exactly the same as we did on Thursday night and the ref didn't pull you up for it once all night every PTB you were offside a mile and I mean every PTB. I'm sure DP is like me we don't mind losing if we lose fairly. I don't mind a ref pulling us for penalties as long as he's fair and does the same for both teams and I never complain about a ref but mr hewer was way off the game on Thursday night and DPs comments about him were correct.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 March 2013 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users