TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Mark Aston accuses Featherstone of cheating

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hes just described Mitch Stringer for me in the article

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

It's not cheating, is it ?

But - at some point - a ref will pick it up and then you give a lot of penalties away. (Not that I'd consider 8 a penalty count out of the ordinary. I'd say that was pretty much the norm.) Then you need a Plan B.

It's naive to think that referees don't go home, watch the dvd, look at their mistakes and make mental notes for future reference. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#23 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

It's more to do with the way we lose than actually losing. Your team did exactly the same as we did on Thursday night and the ref didn't pull you up for it once all night every PTB you were offside a mile and I mean every PTB. I'm sure DP is like me we don't mind losing if we lose fairly. I don't mind a ref pulling us for penalties as long as he's fair and does the same for both teams and I never complain about a ref but mr hewer was way off the game on Thursday night and DPs comments about him were correct.

For someone who never complains about a ref, you've done a pretty good job of it there!!! :D

#24 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

For someone who never complains about a ref, you've done a pretty good job of it there!!! :D

That's for all the refs I don't complain about all in one😄😄😄

#25 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

What about the tongue in cheek remarks in League Express about Gareth Hewer's ability to referee at the Championship level? As much as Powell is an Eagles legend, he doesnt half throw a strop when his team loses.

Because Hewer was gash... he won you the game, these comments from Aston dont surprise me... reading from the Alex Ferguson play book of displacing the focus.

Cummins Out.

#26 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

It has been common knowledge about Fev with coaches asking if they could control the ruck the same way. There is a big difference in time and a huge advantage as a result. Powells dummy allegedly came out at HT v Leigh in lAst years play offs after the same tactics were employed against them

#27 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

It has been common knowledge about Fev with coaches asking if they could control the ruck the same way. There is a big difference in time and a huge advantage as a result. Powells dummy allegedly came out at HT v Leigh in lAst years play offs after the same tactics were employed against them

Why should opposition coaches need to ask the ref if they can use the same techniques as Fev do? Isn't that an insinuating that games are not being refereed in an impartial manner? Fev play the game to the limits in respect of controlling the ruck, hence the often relatively high penalty count against them when it's deemed to be going too far. Both teams should get the same treatment however, whoever is reffing the game.

If Fev are breaking the rules of the game, then they should be punished accordingly, which they are when a penalty is given against them. Any player, coach, club official who accuses another team or the ref of cheating however should have the book thrown at them in my opinion, whoever it is.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#28 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

If Fev have developed a technique, then other clubs should figure out a way to better it. Theyve gone off crying to the referees, now were all getting dragged back.

Cummins Out.

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I find it far more annoying when refs penalise holding on. Usually happens against co-op clubs when they play SL clubs

#30 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I find it far more annoying when refs penalise holding on. Usually happens against co-op clubs when they play SL clubs

To be honest I think the holding down rule is the easiest rule to control. It only takes a little common sense to control the holding down rule. You see it. other than other rules like offside which is hard to control without the TJs help.

Edited by thundergaz, 19 March 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

shock horror someone dares to criticise featherstone..................................................................behead him!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

And wasn't it Powell who stood in front of the TV cameras slagging him off for it?

Yes and rightly so Keith. Have you heard Powell criticise other coaches for the tactics they use? Referees should be left to apply the laws of the game without the influence of media comment from coaches. Harrison, himself, brazenly admitted that his ploy had worked. Needs stopping.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#33 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Having watched a couple of NRL games, they play the ball much quicker and it makes for a more open entertaining game. The pace of their game is scary compared to watching SL.

The constant laying on and flopping at the tackle just makes the game slower and less entertaining. It's not like there's a great skill in lying on top of a tackled player.

#34 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Oh dear. Mark Aston is a legend in many ways and I've got a lot of time for him, but sometimes I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut. Agitating the RFL and criticising referees, regardless of whether he thinks he's right, isn't smart. Really he should be focused on doing all he can to impress the RFL which by all accounts the Eagles have been doing recently - rather than rubbing them up the wrong way.

He does have a point about teams slowing the game down, but as others have pointed out everyone does it - he'll be telling his players to use the same tricks, I'm sure.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

If Fev are breaking the rules of the game, then they should be punished accordingly, which they are when a penalty is given against them. Any player, coach, club official who accuses another team or the ref of cheating however should have the book thrown at them in my opinion, whoever it is.

That's an interesting ethical point. Can you "break" the rules ? Or are there just "outcomes" to your actions ? Is it cheating to obstruct an attacker and concede a penalty instead of a try ? Is it cheating to kick the ball to touch and concede a scrum ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#36 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

The laws of most sports, and indeed laws of the land, often have an amount of interpretation involved. Some are clear, for example, that if your foot or part of your body touches the touchline when you have the ball then you have gone out of play. If the official misses that, it's a clear error.

Some are less clear - like holding down / interference for example - and rely on a general interpretation as relayed by the MO department to refs and the refs own judgement at the time. In this case, the law states that you must clear the ruck area immediately. However the interpretation differs depending on which side has won the collision, how many in the tackle, even weather conditions. So the referee is making a judgement every single tackle. And there is no way around this unless you have a fixed time to clear the ruck area (the classic where amateur players shout 1,2,3 etc. as if there was a fixed time) which would spoil the game and penalise the dominant side.

Therefore, you will always get teams pushing the limits and testing the referee, and coaches having their own idea about what is or isn't acceptable. IMO, Aston, Powell and Harrison should shut up and get on with it. As someone said, it smacks of Fergie/Wenger mind games and I'm a bit sick of it.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#37 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

That's an interesting ethical point. Can you "break" the rules ? Or are there just "outcomes" to your actions ? Is it cheating to obstruct an attacker and concede a penalty instead of a try ? Is it cheating to kick the ball to touch and concede a scrum ?

True, and you could have a whole new debate regarding whether or not such actions are accidental, deliberate, cheating, gamesmanship or any other such description. That is why the game has officials however, to decide whether the laws of the game are being followed and deal with offenders appropriately. If club representatives are unhappy with how the officials are interpreting the laws of the game then they have official channels they can use, and that doesn't involve accusations in the press.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#38 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

It's a disease of modern professional sport

"England coach Stuart Lancaster is awaiting "clarification" from the International Rugby Board about referee Steve Walsh's display in the 30-3 loss to Wales.
England felt decisions in the scrum and breakdown went against them, and that Walsh's officiating in those areas was at odds with his pre-match briefing.
In particular, Lancaster questioned the build-up to Alex Cuthbert's first try. "There was then a turnover at the breakdown, which we still need clarification on," said Lancaster."
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and there you have it in one. the difference between the codes. We criticise the ref, they seek clarification.

#40 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and there you have it in one. the difference between the codes. We criticise the ref, they seek clarification.

International RL coaches - mostly the Aussies, but McBanana has been doing it recently, too - often seek "clarification of the rules" ahead of test matches. You can usually set your watch by the Kangaroos coach "seeking clarification" ahead of test series/4 Nations/World Cups over here.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users