Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

knights v Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Pi**ed off as the next person about Sundays performance after playing great against Worky,
but it happens, its now up to the players to react in the right way on Sunday, but heres a couple
of consecutive weekend results recently from full time, proffesional teams:

Leeds 8 Hudds 32 - following week Leeds 18 Wigan 14
Cas 22 Wigan 28 - following week Hull 52 Cas 0

#22 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I shall not be there. However I will be on the end of the radio and I will be supporting my team. Go team.

... and I'll be on the other end, Andy, supporting in a passive manner !
Be good to see Brett and Wats again.

Edited by andyacko, 20 March 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#23 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

You can read all about what happens in The Press too, if you choose to do summat else on the day.

That said, personally I would urge people to go to games, win lose or draw. It's what sport is all about.
This club used to be one of the best supported outside Super League, home and away. But now even North Wales Crusaders are getting bigger gates in the division below (no offence to NWC). Come on, people. Everyone on here knows the importance of supporting the team through thick and thin and thinner. If everyone jumped ship, we all know all too painfully well what happens.

Let's not forget, York is one of the top 25 rugby league clubs in the country and it has the potential to be a big big club (a place like this should have a much bigger fan base for both RL and football!), but it needs the city to back em home and away at all times, and collectively we have to STOP this downward spiral which seems to have been spinning for a few years. No offence, but really that starts with you lot, the diehards.

When the Knights started, not only were they new but they were underdogs, and the city loved getting behind them, and it all got on a roll. People should not forget that the club are still - and have always been - underdogs. In reality, we shouldnt be able to compete with Featherstone or Sheffield or Halifax given the money they've got, but we are in that same league as them FGS. We are beating teams, and we should have beaten Halifax - who want to be in Super League. Yes, we also played crp at Batley and Keighley, but it's sport, it happens. For every club near the top, there are many more who aren't. But people must still turn up in numbers, otherwise what's the point of it all?

On a personal note, it makes it so much more fun to report on when there are more people there, with more following the team at games, and on here, and on the Press website, etc (even if it's just to moan about crp performances, and God knows we've all had a moan about Keighley).
It doesn't feel good when a patronising York City fan or someone who doesn't follow sport pops on the comments section of Knights stories in The Press and says the club should give up, or fold, etc.

Rant over. Apologies.

Pete Martini
@PMartiniPress

PS As a Man City fan born and bred I can also assure you that if and when the good times do come, it is made INFINITELY more enjoyable because you'd stuck with it through all those years in the doldrums, on which you still look back with a certain warped fondness.

#24 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Spot on & well said Mr Martini

#25 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Aye well said Peter. Is that Saturday's backpage article?

I'm still not going on sunday though...

...but it's a family matter, not because of the performance the other day. I gave up Doncaster to go to Keighley and skipped out early on visiting my newborn neice (1 day old) to dash to Keighley for KO - I have to make a mends this weekend or .... :unsure:

#26 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

You can read all about what happens in The Press too, if you choose to do summat else on the day.

That said, personally I would urge people to go to games, win lose or draw. It's what sport is all about.
This club used to be one of the best supported outside Super League, home and away. But now even North Wales Crusaders are getting bigger gates in the division below (no offence to NWC). Come on, people. Everyone on here knows the importance of supporting the team through thick and thin and thinner. If everyone jumped ship, we all know all too painfully well what happens.

Let's not forget, York is one of the top 25 rugby league clubs in the country and it has the potential to be a big big club (a place like this should have a much bigger fan base for both RL and football!), but it needs the city to back em home and away at all times, and collectively we have to STOP this downward spiral which seems to have been spinning for a few years. No offence, but really that starts with you lot, the diehards.

When the Knights started, not only were they new but they were underdogs, and the city loved getting behind them, and it all got on a roll. People should not forget that the club are still - and have always been - underdogs. In reality, we shouldnt be able to compete with Featherstone or Sheffield or Halifax given the money they've got, but we are in that same league as them FGS. We are beating teams, and we should have beaten Halifax - who want to be in Super League. Yes, we also played crp at Batley and Keighley, but it's sport, it happens. For every club near the top, there are many more who aren't. But people must still turn up in numbers, otherwise what's the point of it all?

On a personal note, it makes it so much more fun to report on when there are more people there, with more following the team at games, and on here, and on the Press website, etc (even if it's just to moan about crp performances, and God knows we've all had a moan about Keighley).
It doesn't feel good when a patronising York City fan or someone who doesn't follow sport pops on the comments section of Knights stories in The Press and says the club should give up, or fold, etc.

Rant over. Apologies.

Pete Martini
@PMartiniPress

PS As a Man City fan born and bred I can also assure you that if and when the good times do come, it is made INFINITELY more enjoyable because you'd stuck with it through all those years in the doldrums, on which you still look back with a certain warped fondness.

Far too simplistic, I havn't met many Knights fans who are purely "bad" losers, but HOW a team loses can seriously affect the fanbase.

I'm not aware of the few hundred diehards "jumping ship". Even though many are appalled at the teams efforts away from home they still turn up at Huntington Stadium. One of the main domino effects of how the team lose away is the inability of the diehards to persuade the Cities sports fans to take the club seriously.

Offence could actually be taken by certain "diehards" who have been able and willing to do far more than myself over the years to keep the club afloat. Whilst your sentiments on this subject are admirable, they are perhaps aimed at the wrong group of people, certainly the fans on this forum?

No it doesn't feel good when York citizens, sports fans or not, criticize our professional clubs. But when local taxpayers see one club rapidly heading back towards oblivion and the other having their team being accused of embarrassing and unacceptable performances by their own coaching staff they are bound to question the credibility of professional sport in York. Much has been made of the impending new Community Stadium which I for one think is long overdue, but it is time for both our pro clubs to pull their fingers out on the playing front and stop giving new stadium objectors more ammunition.

#27 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

After last weeks crushing defeat at Keighley, players at York City Knights are looking to quickly make amends in more ways than one...

You can't say fairer than that! :D
Posted Image

#28 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Far too simplistic, I havn't met many Knights fans who are purely "bad" losers, but HOW a team loses can seriously affect the fanbase.

I'm not aware of the few hundred diehards "jumping ship". Even though many are appalled at the teams efforts away from home they still turn up at Huntington Stadium. One of the main domino effects of how the team lose away is the inability of the diehards to persuade the Cities sports fans to take the club seriously.

Offence could actually be taken by certain "diehards" who have been able and willing to do far more than myself over the years to keep the club afloat. Whilst your sentiments on this subject are admirable, they are perhaps aimed at the wrong group of people, certainly the fans on this forum?

If anyone did take any kind of offence, I apologise. That's obviously not what was meant.

#29 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

After last weeks crushing defeat at Keighley, players at York City Knights are looking to quickly make amends in more ways than one...

Impressed with that.

#30 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Putting their money where their mouth is!

Fantastic response from the Players - absolutely magic!

Still not off though :(

#31 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Impressed with that.

Thats a generous and kindhearted response from the players to the fans, and well done Simon if it was your idea. Lets hope the team can transfer theirs and our frustrations onto the field.

Is it a bridge too far to ask the players to pay for Big Rons beer, after all he's paid for theirs a time or two. ;)

#32 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

really nice touch from the players

#33 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Suppose I'll have to go now then. ;)

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#34 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

No it doesn't feel good when York citizens, sports fans or not, criticize our professional clubs. But when local taxpayers see one club rapidly heading back towards oblivion and the other having their team being accused of embarrassing and unacceptable performances by their own coaching staff they are bound to question the credibility of professional sport in York. Much has been made of the impending new Community Stadium which I for one think is long overdue, but it is time for both our pro clubs to pull their fingers out on the playing front and stop giving new stadium objectors more ammunition.

Simplistic or not, the fact is a few years ago this club averaged 2,000 and regularly took hundreds away. York were the envy of many National League clubs. However, only a quarter of that number turned up for the home game the other week, while on this thread people were saying they wouldnt go to Donny and the supporters' club cancelled the bus.
NB To clear up any possible offence, I didn't accuse anyone of "jumping ship". I said, "Everyone on here knows the importance of supporting the team through thick and thin and thinner. If everyone jumped ship, we all know all too painfully well what happens."

As for diehard fans, they are crucial to any club and, in my opinion, the diehards at York are as good as any fans you will ever come across. My comments (whether they should be aimed at people on this forum or not) were merely an attempt, even if it's in vain, to act as some sort of rallying cry. I said collectively we have to somehow stop this apparent downward spiral - and diehard fans will always have to be at the forefront of that given that fans are any club's lifeblood, or soul, or whatever cliche you want to use. (I'm not sure how people on here could take offence at that, but if they do, then I apologise.)
In my opinion, it basically means stop any talk of not going to games, defend the club against "you should just fold" comments, talk about the team, win, lose of draw, keep buying the shirts (if you can afford them), put YCK stickers and flags in cars, etc, etc. The more people talk about the Knights, in pubs, shops, street corners, the more people get interested. If that includes slagging off a performance, so be it. At least people are talking about it. If people talk about it, people go to games.
(Yes I know people on this forum already do all that, and more, but what's the harm in saying it? It's certainly not meant to be "offensive" - the opposite, in fact, because people on here undoubtedly care.)

As for the credibility of a club, again in my opinion, the fact a coach can slam his team's performance via mainstream media (including trade papers, the BBC, websites, and a daily paper such as The Press) by its very nature means the club is credible and that it can be taken seriously. The fact York City are in a Football League relegation battle actually makes them credible, even if that sounds paradoxical. City stories in the paper are regularly commented on more than anything else - that makes them credible. This paper and Radio York give both clubs really good coverage, better than many so-called bigger clubs get - that too adds to their credibility.

People get attracted to pro clubs by the fact lots of other people go watch. They are attracted by the atmosphere, camaraderie, banter, noise, sociality, etc. In my opinion, it is people who make clubs 'credible', not results. Similarly, it is attendances, not results, that counter objections to the new stadium. Likewise the bigger the attendances, the better chance clubs have of "pulling fingers out", for all the obvious reasons.

Pete

#35 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Oh, and yes - great gesture by the players!

(I'm sure I saw a tweet by a certain fan saying that, if the players paid for the bus, then he'd put £100 into their end-of-season pss-up should they win...Is that part of the deal still?)

#36 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

well if that really is the case from the players i will put my bus money into the squad builder fund rarther than a free be, 22 to workington, 26 to batley, o to sheffield i now expect 22 buses to donny so they better be on WINNING PAY :D :D

#37 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Oh, and yes - great gesture by the players!

(I'm sure I saw a tweet by a certain fan saying that, if the players paid for the bus, then he'd put £100 into their end-of-season pss-up should they win...Is that part of the deal still?)

Yep, I'll put my money where my big mouth is.

Edited by Simon Hall, 20 March 2013 - 07:31 PM.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#38 GaryHall

GaryHall
  • Coach
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

The coach will leave the Ainsty at 12.00, Clarence Street 12.15 Stadium 12.30

Call 07763121732 to confirm your place.

#39 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts