Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The battles for points !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

If you take out the top 6 clubs in the Championship (Fev, Sheffield, Halifax, Leigh, Batley & Dewsbury) that leaves eight clubs who are all trying to take the points off each other to avoid the dreaded drop to Championship1 at the end of the season.

For each of the 8 clubs that is 14 matches (7 at home and 7 away) against the other clubs and no doubt the two teams that do the worst of these 8 clubs in these matches will be the two that get relegated.

After 7 weeks in to the season each of the 8 teams have played either 3 or 4 games against the others, as well as picking the odd points up off the top 6.

Of the three Cumbrian clubs Barrow have played 2 of the 8 at home and 2 of the 8 away and have picked up only 2 bonus points from those 4 games. Haven have played 1 game at home and 3 away picking up 3 wins, whilst Town have also played 1 at home and 3 away with 2 wins from their 4 games.

Hunslet have played 3 games at home and won everyone and Keighley have played 3 at home and won 1 of them but got 2 bonus points from the other two games. Niether Hunslet or Keighley have faced any of the other 8 teams away from home yet.

Doncaster are another team that has only played one game at home and 3 away winning 2 of them and picking up a bonus point and York have won 2 out of 2 at home and lost 2 out of 2 away but picked up a bonus point.

Swinton have played 2 at home and 2 away winning 1 at home and 1 away and also picked up 2 bonus points.

It will be interesting to see how these games pan out over the coming weeks.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Would rule hunslet out of that group them leeds players looked class last week when they tonked us

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Would rule hunslet out of that group them leeds players looked class last week when they tonked us

They haven't played any of the other 8 teams away from SLS yet. Let's wait and see.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

at the end of the day we HAVE to beat all those teams at home, and i honestly think we will, i also see us beating dewsbury at home and a bonus point vs leigh at derwent park. but its our away form that has to improve and take some pressure off our home games. as we are playing at the moment i cant see us getting anything apart from at haven and barrow, the rest will be defeats with probably very little bonus points coming our way. that would give us over 30 points and that should surely be mire than enough to survive.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#5 Bring back the wall

Bring back the wall
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

At the start of the season I was struggling to see where we would get a win from apart from Barrow and Whitehaven,and the odd bonus point.Not much as changed my mind since,I hope the lads prove me wrong but it is gonna be a long hard season and like Charlo says the table dont lie.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm not that pessimistic , but your right in that every single win is very hard to get and very valuable. We have to find
a more consistent and higher level of performance in attack and defence , from week to week and in the 80 minutes of a
single game , and keep picking up points . This is the kind of league in which you can get stuck on 8 points for months if your
not careful. We knew it would be tough , but we have the squad to survive and compete . We need to raise our game though and start
playing to the sum of our parts . If we do that , sharpen our game with and without the ball , and have the right mentality every week
we can be ok . If we continue to blow warm and very cold , and show naivety and sloppiness ,it will be a long season . Lets just hope
coaches and players get it right and it goes the right way . At the moment either path is possible ... Gonna be an exciting ride !!

Edited by DavidM, 19 March 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

The way we played against the Jam we are certs for the drop unfortunately Keith...they were poor but we were worse especially in the 2nd half as the scoreboard showed. Please dont watch the match on Premier sports thursd y eve lads.... you might see me in the stand crying as we are getting well and truly tonked :o

Lee

Edited by morty, 19 March 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

The way we played against the Jam we are certs for the drop unfortunately Keith...they were poor but we were worse especially in the 2nd half as the scoreboard showed. Please dont watch the match on Premier sports thursd y eve lads.... you might see me in the stand crying as we are getting well and truly tonked :o

Lee

At the end of the day Lee it wont be Thursday's result that relegates you as most of the lower clubs will probably lose at Leigh but some might pick up a bonus point.

#9 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

At the end of the day Lee it wont be Thursday's result that relegates you as most of the lower clubs will probably lose at Leigh but some might pick up a bonus point.

That's right. The bonus point rewards those who stay competitive and in the game for the full eighty minutes. Plenty of bonus points picked up, plus a few wins and you will be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users