• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hock should play

Widnes coach Denis Betts has criticised Wigan for refusing to allow England forward Gareth Hock to play in Saturday's clash between the two sides.
The Vikings second rower is barred from turning out in the televised game between the two clubs because of a clause inserted in the deal that took him on a season-long loan from Wigan to the Halton Stadium.
"I'm more disappointed for Gaz," Betts said. "I know he really wants to play. They must be afraid of him.
"Some clubs like to put (clauses) them in but, if I let a player go on loan, I wouldn't hinder his development by saying he couldn't play against us. If I didn't want him, let someone else have him.
"It's not my call, it was part of the deal. It might have been a bit of a deal-breaker so we let them keep it in."
Hock, who missed Widnes' defeat by Catalan Dragons last Saturday through suspension, is still under contract at Wigan but was allowed to go out on loan after a major fall-out in the close season.
Betts will have the services of back-row forward Hep Cahill for Saturday's game after the Australian missed the trip to the south of France to be with his wife, who is expecting their second child.
"I made the decision that he shouldn't go," Betts said. "His wife is heavily pregant and he needs to be around his family at this stage.
"It was the right thing to do because we were away for four days and, if something had happened, he couldn't have got back.
"She didn't have the baby but he'll play this week - it's a bit easier to get back from Wigan to Widnes."
Betts also expects former Wigan prop Ben Cross to face his old team-mates despite picking up a knee injury in his side's 46-14 defeat by the Dragons.
"The fluid has come out of his knee," said Betts. "He had a run today so hopefully he should be alright."

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Maybe he should have argued the point when the deal was done

Or stop moaning

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I assume the journalist asked Betts about the clause and he responded. Hardly a major whinge.

Edited by deluded pom?, 19 March 2013 - 06:11 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

As some Wigan fans seem to act like jilted lovers where Gareth Hock is concerned it's surely better that he does not play. Otherwise it could just become too much for them.

Edited by chrisl1, 19 March 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Denis Betts is beginning to come across as a bit of a whinger.

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

no denis is becoming to come across as a coach who want's what is best for his club/team....................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

no denis is becoming to come across as a coach who want's what is best for his club/team....................

I can't see that catching on anywhere.

He's already looking for excuses, when really, he doesn't need them, Widnes look to play better without Hock.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Weren't you harping on about for months have Betts should of been sacked and wasn't good enough for SL? Why suddenly so defencive of him.

#9 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Typical Widnes fan, you all wanted him out last season. Clueless

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Typical Widnes fan, you all wanted him out last season. Clueless

incorrect......only Maximus Decimus was banging on about that, myself and others thought he should be given a chance

#11 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

incorrect......only Maximus Decimus was banging on about that, myself and others thought he should be given a chance

Maybe a bit harsh, sorry. But it makes me laugh sometimes. Widnes need time

#12 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

He's got a long way to go before he reaches Mike Rush's level.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

i have said all along that betts should have been given a chance to prove himself as a coach, last season was a dead rubber for widnes from the off because of the defecit in recruitment, but the signings of top quality players for this term with more on their way for next fills me and many many widnes fans with hope and anticipation. this time last season we had conceded somewhere in the region of 280 points, and scored very few, and although there is a defecit in the points difference again this season we have only conceded over 20 points on 2 occasions. that to me is a massive improvement and i am sure that we are heading in the right direction....................or steve o'connor could have done a koukash knee jerk and sacked denis, but no he has affirmed his faith in the coach to give the club the stability it needs to move forward.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

over the seasons stains have made whinging into an art form,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users