Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League BackChat

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,826 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

For those who enjoy a Rugby League discussion programme, I'll be making my first appearance of the season on Sky tonight at 10.00pm, Sky Sports 2, debating (quite heatedly) with Chris Irvine, Stevo and Rod Studd, over a range of topics.

I hope it makes for good viewing, but if you see it let me know your reaction.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm afraid I gave up on it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I've watched it twice and both times it was awful. The thought of listening to Stevo mangle his sentences whilst losing his train of thought, and then switching to Chris Irvine damning everything about the game of Rugby League, makes me long for the days when we only had Boots 'n' All during the week.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,826 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Interesting comments!

#5 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

i still watch every week, but we don't need stevo on every week. once every three or four weeks would be enough.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#6 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I enjoy watching the show but wish it were longer and not so breathlessly edited - I would love some of the contributors' thoughts and ideas to be given a little more room to breathe and so be properly examined.

I like the way Rod Studd's views are what might be termed "eccentric/mad" (delete as appropriate) - and how he challenges his guests when he feels the latter are guilty of mouthing platitudes... I just wish we could do without his pantomimic exchanges with Stevo. As has already been said on this thread, the latter really doesn't have to be there every week.

I hope that the MIrror's Nigel Wisker, whose blog is among the most entertaining, is soon to be given a chance on the show.

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I like it too.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

i still watch every week, but we don't need stevo on every week. once every three or four weeks would be enough.

Make that three or four years. Stevo spoils it for me with his muddled thinking and shouting above the rest. Could be a really interesting programme without him and extended to an hour.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#9 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I enjoy it, so there

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Studd is a big problem for me, I think i) he talks a bit too fast* and ii) whenever someone disagrees with him he pulls a face of digust and shouts over people. It pains me to say it, but I think Angela Powers would be better as a host, she seems calmer and would give people their time. It's a nice concept though, let me know when things improve Martyn!

* I also think he does this when on the live game, particularly when interviewing the Heinz Big Extrordinary Man of the Tissot League Soup.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

https://twitter.com/...7417088/photo/1
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I watch Back Chat every week although Stevo spoils it for me. He rarely sticks to the point and then will get on his own hobby horse or make inane comments. I would much rather him not be there at all but instead have say a past player plus two pundits.

I'd also like to see Nigel Wiskar given an airing. Likewise Neil Barraclough (who actually may have had his debut last season but I can't remember).

However, so long as I can keep my patience with Stevo or, alternatively, if there is another guest on the show who is able to keep Stevo in check (as one or two have done, most notably the Aussie pundit whose name escapes me just now; he came over for the world club challenge) then I do enjoy the show and would like to see it extended to a full hour.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say Martyn. I'm sure I read on Twitter though that you and Chris Irvine had a bit of, er, banter going on ... !!

Edited by Saintslass, 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#13 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Enjoy the programme.
Should be an hour with B n A swapped to 30 mins.
Enjoy the debate/disagreements and Rod Studd is great with some really good ideas and some that are er well just daft!
The B n A has begun to sound like a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Super League party.
Back Chat isn't anything like that, far, far better!

#14 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Backchat could be really good if it got rid of Stevo. He is asked a question and answers something else! The guy may love the game but he embarrasses himself and the game. He should stand down from it if he really does care.

#15 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Enjoy the programme.
Enjoy the debate/disagreements and Rod Studd is great with some really good ideas and some that are er well just daft!
The B n A has begun to sound like a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Super League party.

Allow me to second that in it's entirety, please.

#16 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Enjoy the programme.

Exactly. Back chat is like a breath of fresh air. Boots n All has sent me to sleep for years now.

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Backchat could be really good if it got rid of Stevo. He is asked a question and answers something else! The guy may love the game but he embarrasses himself and the game. He should stand down from it if he really does care.

This.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm giving Back Chat another go tonight. I hope it's not still in the depths of a café, people wandering about is distracting!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

I think the format is ok but agree that Stevo renders much of it unwatchable. I'm not sure about Rod Studd either.

Having some journalists on is ok but I'd also like to see some ex-pros/coaches for a more credible viewpoint.

All in all, I actually think the BBC's Super League Show is the best RL show on the box, once you can actually find it on the schedules.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

To tie in with the World Cup and the mascot Steed... only whoever is holding the ball can talk!

Heh, I am a genius.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users