Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League BackChat

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

The best Backchat was the one with Steve Mascord who seemed to manage to control Stevo.

#22 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

not a bad show but not long enough and to many topics crammed in, i would like it to be 45mins and concentrate on just a couple of items.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Not bad IMO. But they should get the odd punter off here or something to stir it up a bit. Ie a fan who doesn't make a living from the game and is just a fan.

#24 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I don't mind It but cannot for the life of me stand rod studd what a tool he is

Edited by Hullfan, 20 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#25 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think Rod Studd does a really good job - he's given the show it's own distinct flavour, in comparison to the personality-free zone that is Boots n All and the SLS. He's an argumentative so-and-so, which works for me compared to Eddie's golf club platitudes. The major problem this year is Stevo. He's on every week - I'm guessing because he annoys Rod Studd. But he also annoys viewers and Sky should get rid of him.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Studd and Stevo are as bad as each other.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Is it available as a podcast?

#28 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Is it available as a podcast?

It used to be, not sure now though.

I used to download the podcast to my phone and play it in the car, you dont need to see anything so worked pretty well!

#29 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Two attributes of Rod Studd that make his role on the show effective

1) If someone dodges the question or gives a load of waffle he will not accept it and will persue the point. Its a shame journalists don't do the same with politicians.

2) He is always open minded to new ideas and not afraid to think outside the box. Even if many of the ideas are clearly whacky (his best one had to be 'declaring' when you were 50 points in front!) and would never be implemented.

#30 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I started off enjoying it, but you can see it heading down the same old tired route. Would be much more interesting if it was members of the press and a current or recently retired player/coach.. Stevo always seems to drag it down to Boot's n All level..

Give hosting duties to Jon Wells, include two members of the RL press and an ex-player/coach..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#31 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I used to download the podcast to my phone and play it in the car, you dont need to see anything so worked pretty well!

Exactly what I was hoping for!

#32 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

It still is available as a podcast, I downloaded it earlier this season anyway
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#33 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Have to agree about getting rid of Stevo,if it was up to him we wouldn't have any teams north of Watford Gap.

#34 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Interesting comments!

With all due respect to Stevo, why do Sky Sports have him on so much?

It is great that yourself, Gareth Walker, Chris Irvine are on but there is really no need for Stevo to get involved.

Depsite that, I enjoy the programme.

#35 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Concept is fine,Studd is obviously deliberately controversial - at least in an intelligent way - frankly,Stevo is an illiterate embarassment.

Seriously Martyn,what is the view within the game about Stevo? I fully accept he was a very good player,I appreciate the original reasons he was brought over here but everyone I speak with,now finds him an embarassment and doing the game a great dis service.Rather like a player who is over the hill,surely he should retire gracefully,rather than apparently just hanging on for his pay cheque? How can the game have an 'analyst' who apparently doesn't know the modern rules,has a desperately limited vocabulary and at absolute best,is semi literate.His random and constant shouts of 'forward pass' are ludicrous.

#36 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Another good show,
Agree re Stevo, he's probably on due to SKY paying him a fortune and they want their monies worth.
Replace him by a radio journo so that we get different views from both the written and sound media.
Rod Studd is great. Good points he raises and runs the show at a good pace.
Modelled surely on the soccer show "Sunday Supplement" but that is a show by the written media.
Our Rod is far better than the guy who runs the "Supp" show.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'll be an avid viewer when I get home with a nice clean slate of expectation...

I mean Studd must have toned it down judging by all the positive comments.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Enjoy the programme.
Should be an hour with B n A swapped to 30 mins.
Enjoy the debate/disagreements and Rod Studd is great with some really good ideas and some that are er well just daft!
The B n A has begun to sound like a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Super League party.
Back Chat isn't anything like that, far, far better!

Ted, you should be on along with Alan Rooney, always wondered what you looked like, its a great show should be longer.

#39 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I think Back Chat is great, fast becoming my favourite RL show.

For a change we hear people stating their honest opinions and I think that's a result of those on it. I actually think its the ideal show for Stevo as he can rant away and it's good viewing in that format!

Players and coaches would just bring cliches that add no value. Lovedcthe Brough discussion the other week - Stevo asking the same question a lot of fans want asking, 'why doesn't someone ask McNamara what he has against Brough'.

Would like it to be extended to 45 mins as a precious poster said. Also agree Studd can be a bit annoying but he at least forces answers and moves topics on well.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#40 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I enjoyed this week's programme. Stevo was kept pretty much under control. Martyn was very calm and articulate, which was helpful, especially when Chris threatened to get all overheated again as he does almost every time he appears on the show!