Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League BackChat

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I like the format of Back Chat but as a few posters have stated,does Stevo need to be on every week.He just tends to shout everyone else down.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#42 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Good show, pretty funny actually.

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Right, within the first few minutes by point can be made.

Question 1 about Huddersfield and their performances and if they can keep it up.

Martyn opens talking about the big test this Friday, mentions how well they played against Hull FC and moves on to "not having the Nathan Brown factor" and stability with Anderson.

It's then passed on to Stevo, who says, "The Nathan Brown thing has obviously affected them over the past two seasons., without a doubt"

Then Studd interrupts him with "It couldn't all be Nathan Brown's fault could it" with a slight head throw of derison.

After one sentence he jumps down Stevo's throat.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Wish the show was an hour long it feels like they're cramming stuff in but its a brilliant show. Stevo is tolerable at times but then other times you just want to shout at him. I really like Rod Studd on the show, his opinions come across as he's trying to wind people up but then he begins to back his points up really well.

May send an email to Sky asking them to make the show 45 minutes or an hour long as there isn't really anything else on at the times the program is shown at, plus I can't imagine it would cost much different to broadcast it just that little bit longer.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Bit of a pointless first half footnote on Roby, I agree that's where the half hour slot let it down.

And while they're talking of playing against parent clubs, Paul Sykes played against Bradford last season while on loan, so whether that was an exception to the rule.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Love the show but could do with the same airtime as its counterports Cricket Writers on TV and Jimmy Hills Sunday Suppliment.

Because the show is condensed into 23-24 minutes instead of reasoned debate you get shouted sioundbites and Mr Sadler your measured tones appeared to be causing consternation in Rodd Studd causing his machine gun delivery to be even more rapid fire than usual. That';s what happens when you try to put the proverbial "quart in a pint pot" and some topics which were crying out for a longer and more sober analysis such as Castleford did not get the considered debate the subject warrants.

Rather Super League Backchat be on for an Hour than a continuation of the banal Boots n' all. that offers us Baz and Tez chasing Rob Burrow in a wendy house surely the nadir of Rugby League broadcasting. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it it might be an idea for LPL or some other enterpreneur to run Super League Backchat live as a live interactive theatre presentation during the off season. Personally I would buy a ticket and venture to the bleak northern wastelands for an evening of Rugby League debate if this was ever put on.

And if you could get the show extended to the full hour you might also get the croissants and orange juice that Steven Brenkley of The Independent always seems to enjoy tucking into during CWOT.

So there we have it extend the programme to an hour SKY and have Angela Powers as the presenter not Rodd Studd.

I have got my coat on already thank you......

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#47 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

An hour of Angela Powers - kill me now...

#48 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

An hour of Angela Powers - kill me now...

Agreed. Back Chat for an hour yes. Angela Powers no. One of the dullest, most wooden presenters on TV. I genuinely think if it wasn't the fact she was a woman she would get nowhere near RL on Sky!

Edited by Odsal Outlaw, 20 March 2013 - 10:38 PM.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#49 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Agree an hour would be good
And I think Rod Studd is excellent.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm watching yesterday's episode now and I'm really enjoying it with super Bill Arthur and Barrie McDermott; it isn't just a breath of fresh air, it's a hurricane of Febreze.

Edited by hindle xiii, 04 April 2013 - 06:16 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Here's my tuppence -
I missed Stevo this week and whilst he obviously winds plenty up, for me it's not the same without him.
The show definately needs more time, why not an hour and would maybe benefit from a section debating some viewer/fan questions.
Also what about a current SL chairperson or coach making the numbers up?
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#52 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like the format of Back Chat but as a few posters have stated,does Stevo need to be on every week.He just tends to shout everyone else down.

That's why he's there - "simple as that"
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users