Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should Lomax be in the England squad to face the Exiles on current form?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

I definitely think so.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

But where would he play? His form is based upon him playing at fullback and Tomkins is the default fullback for England. Lomax isn't anywhere near as effective in the halves. Or at least not at 7 when expected to organise and lead (which he can't do).

#3 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

I think he should be in but McNamara seems set in his ways and not too flexible.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#4 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

He has made great progress and is a very talented player. His all round game certainly pushes Tomkins for a place.

#5 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well the answer is yes but the team aint picked on form is it, look at he ain't in and sinfield is in he is not in form IMO

#6 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Definately, he's THE form full back in SL at the moment
Given our lack of real class in the halves Tomkins would be better served moving there and allowing Lomax to go in at 1.

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Definately, he's THE form full back in SL at the moment
Given our lack of real class in the halves Tomkins would be better served moving there and allowing Lomax to go in at 1.

THE form English full back... ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I agree with Tomkins going to SO then we'll have widdop lomax and hardaker to choose from at FB. Strength in depth is massive in international rugby league

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

THE form English full back... ;)

I was about to say the same thing.
People called Romans they go the house

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I find it hard to get excited about any player, now that I've seen Brett Kearney. Pure poetry.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

up to now the form english half back has been joe mellor, so he should be in ahead of the likes of chase but he doesn't play for a yorkshire club so he wont!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

up to now the form english half back has been joe mellor, so he should be in ahead of the likes of chase but he doesn't play for a yorkshire club so he wont!!

Half the English squad doesn't play for Yorkshire clubs. Where you coming from?

Edited by thundergaz, 20 March 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#13 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Half the English squad doesn't play for Yorkshire clubs. Where you coming from?

Somewhere I'm surprised that internet access is permitted.
People called Romans they go the house

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Been saying Lomax should play at full back for a while, but is he better than Tomkins? No. Is he better than Hardaker? No. The only way he could get in the England side is if Hardaker goes centre and Tomkins in a 6. Not saying I wouldn't like to see that happen though.

I think its brilliant though we have such quality depth at full back.

#15 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Lomax should be in the England squad.
Trouble is where will he play? McNamara has already chosen Chase, a half back who's out of form and playing for the 2nd bottom club in the league. That is in preference to Brough who is bang in form and playing for the team topping the league.
Not that I'm surprised by that.
The OP asked should Lomax be in the squad, answer yes!

#16 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Lomax could do a job for us on the bench. Would provide great cover in the event of injuries and could also provide extra zip as the game loosens up. Personally I rate him higher than Widdop although there's not much in it.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Been saying Lomax should play at full back for a while, but is he better than Tomkins? No. Is he better than Hardaker? No.

And you know this how? He's only played in the position three times since 2009, and all three of those times have been this season. Three games is hardly enough to judge how good he will be come the Autumn surely?

Edited by Saintslass, 20 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Somewhere I'm surprised that internet access is permitted.

or perhaps somewhere that in form players are selected for their country instead of winning a man of steel award 2 years ago and being sub-standard since....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#19 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

And you know this how? He's only played in the position three times since 2009, and all three of those times have been this season. Three games is hardly enough to judge how good he will be come the Autumn surely?

Maybe so, but as an all round player I don't he is better than either of them.

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

i recall a couple of years ago johnny lomax playing full back covering for wellens??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users