Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Budget 2013

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

1p off beer

I'm sure there are other bits to it.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

No income tax on first £10,000 of salary from 2014.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

We've gone from minimum pricing to cheaper beer in a week. Joined up government.

That initial Treasury note seems even more correct now: There is no money.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Why wait for the Chancellor to speak, just read it all in the paper first. Oops!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-21861941

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#5 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Nicked a couple of my ideas regarding income tax and NI cuts (though I would set the income tax threshold at minimum wage x 40 hours per week).
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#6 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

hrm not sure about a government funded property bubble! Need to read more details on the housing stuff but it obviously isn't aimed just at first time buyers since it goes up to £600,000

#7 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Looks like my bus tickets might be cheaper if I get it through work in November - can't wait

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#8 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

hrm not sure about a government funded property bubble! Need to read more details on the housing stuff but it obviously isn't aimed just at first time buyers since it goes up to £600,000

Isn't that about the price of a one bedroom flat in London these days? :o

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#9 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

What does the budget signal to devotees of peanut M & Ms?

And what are the ramifications for Poundland?

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

We've gone from minimum pricing to cheaper beer in a week. Joined up government.

Make it cheaper to get drunk and take our mind off how bad things are? Give the papers a nice feel-good headline to focus on and stop them reading the budget small print which is usually where all the bad stuff is hidden?

Blimey, when did I get this cynical??? :o :D

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

That's not being cynical..that is being experienced.

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Star of the day was Deputy Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, who calmed the baying hoards with a commanding northern accent.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#13 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Star of the day was Deputy Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, who calmed the baying hoards with a commanding northern accent.

...not forgetting he's a rugby league man, former chairman of Chorley.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

The beer thing is the most blatant vote grabber in the history of politics. Absolutely no logic to it!!!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

...not forgetting he's a rugby league man, former chairman of Chorley.

Brilliant, You could just tell he was a man of substance!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

The beer thing is the most blatant vote grabber in the history of politics. Absolutely no logic to it!!!

What he should have done is increased the duty on beer in cans by 50%, bottles by 30% and dropped the duty on casks by 10%.

That way supermarkets prime loss leaders, cheap canned larger and cider and the vile smooth flow would have the pressure put on to up prices, tasteless fizzy kegs from the big brewers would be unaffected and the thriving cask micro brewery market would be given a big boost.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

What he should have done is increased the duty on beer in cans by 50%, bottles by 30% and dropped the duty on casks by 10%.

That way supermarkets prime loss leaders, cheap canned larger and cider and the vile smooth flow would have the pressure put on to up prices, tasteless fizzy kegs from the big brewers would be unaffected and the thriving cask micro brewery market would be given a big boost.

Sounds like a plan to me. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#18 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hear, hear Padge.
The beer accelerator tax made no sense at all, a method to close pubs and lose jobs was all it did, and widen the gap between between pub prices and cans of ###### fizzy lager.

Meanwhile, the top 9 investment bankers shared a bonus of £40 million. The top earners in society are really having it tough in the current economic climate.

#19 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Greg Mullholland has been leading a campaign to scrap the beer duty escalator.

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm really struggling to get my head round the plan for the government to start loaning people money for deposits to buy houses.

Isn't part of the reason for our current woes that banks lent money to people who couldn't really afford to pay it back, to buy houses they couldn't really afford to buy, that fuelled further house price inflation, that encouraged more people to borrow even more money they couldn't afford until it all eventually went bang and the government had to use taxpayers money to bail out the banks leaving a massive hole in the public finances that is getting bigger by the day despite all the never ending austerity we’re being subjected to?

So the solution to that, according to the Chancellor, is to cut out the middle man and give taxpayers money direct to people who can’t really afford to buy a house to encourage them to take on a load of additional private debt they may never be able to repay, thus further fuelling house price inflation while potentially restarting the whole vicious debt circle again before we’ve fixed the last one.

It just seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

Wouldn’t it have been simpler and more effective to release the money being used for this wheeze to local councils to build lots of social housing at affordable rents, thus stimulating the construction industry and creating jobs, providing homes for people who need them, preventing encouraging people taking on mortgage debts they can’t repay and avoiding fuelling even more extortionate rises in house prices. Increasing social housing rental stock would also help bring down the ridiculous levels of private rent, making even more homes affordable for even more people, and reducing the need for taxpayers to subsidise private landlords through the payment of housing benefit.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users