Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team Sheets

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dewsbury Rams

Dewsbury Rams
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

We are aware that this is a sensitive subject among a small number of you.

We have carried out a review of procedures at other Championship clubs and have identified that it isn’t common practice to hand out team sheets to spectators on match days. Any team sheets produced are made available to visiting directors, members of the press and match day sponsors.

At Dewsbury Rams we have noticed that there seems to be an increased reliance and requests for team sheets from spectators and at the same time we have noticed a downward trend in the number of people buying a match day programme which is making production costs unsustainable in the long term. Match day programmes do contain details of all the visiting squad and players can be identified from their squad numbers (except for players on short term loans or dual registration when this isn’t always possible).

We have therefore decided to stop the general free distribution of team sheets at our games. Team sheets will still be produced but will only be given to people who have bought or who are buying a match day programme for the game. Because team sheets aren’t produced until approximately one hour before the start of the game people may have to return to the programme seller to collect a team sheet later and as long as you produce a programme this will be given to you on trust.

It is important that we increase programme sales and by adding a team sheet to the package it gives even better value for money. We need supporters to realise that we must maximise our commercial sales. The production of a team sheet comes at a very busy time for the few match day staff we now have at the club and they do cost money to produce whether it be in staff time, copying and paper costs or however you look at it and therefore there has to be some return on the cost.

The situation will be reviewed at the end of the season along with a full review of programme sales and costs including the many man hour required to edit and put together these types of productions.

It would help the club if you could support us by purchasing a match day programme at the outlets we have at either side of the ground. Every penny really does count.

#2 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

A sensible and business like approach to the situation in my opinion.
(Waits for the obligatory rebuttle............)
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#3 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Good idea
Posted Image

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Seems fair enough to me. You always had to buy a programme in the past to know what the team was so this is no different.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Absolutely agree and sensible decision.

As every penny does count, unfortunately the programme seller outside the Bailey Bar had run out of half time draw tickets when I went 10 mins before kick off. Don't know when she ran out, but both the gent in front of me and I were unable to give the club £4. Would imagine a few more people might have missed out. Only a tiny point I know but thought worth mentioning.

#6 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

The same happened to me with regards to the half time draw. Surely the sellers shouldn't run out of tickets?

I arrived about 15mins before kick off in the south stand. It's not the first time this has happened (all lost income to club).
Posted Image

#7 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sensible idea to have the team sheets with the programmes we buy.

#8 MirfieldRams

MirfieldRams
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Or charge for team sheets and produce more? No teveryone wants a programme but want the team details.
Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

#9 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

How about buy a teamsheet (for the price of a program) and get a free program ;)

#10 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

John North your missing the point why would you want to give away a programme for the sake of teamsheet you still have the costs of producing both items so you would have to sell them separately or lose money which at the end of the day defeats the object

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

How about buy a teamsheet (for the price of a program) and get a free program ;)

Great idea - if I buy a program I can read that instead of going for a prematch and halftime pint - save me a few quid and be good for my health. Will we be guaranteed a teamsheet or will it just be available with the first fifty or so sold (when they run out) ? Another question - if the team sheets are late arriving with the program seller, and we have to nip back out to get one will the stewards let us back in without any bother ?

#12 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

As I regularly buy the programme I am fine with the decision.Whilst the programme gives two lists of players with their squad numbers, it's a bit awkward putting a tick as each name is announced and then having to scour the list to find the player on whom you wish to make a check during the game.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I never know who the players are anyway so it makes little difference to me!

^_^ ^_^
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

We are aware that this is a sensitive subject among a small number of you.

We have carried out a review of procedures at other Championship clubs and have identified that it isn’t common practice to hand out team sheets to spectators on match days. Any team sheets produced are made available to visiting directors, members of the press and match day sponsors.

At Dewsbury Rams we have noticed that there seems to be an increased reliance and requests for team sheets from spectators and at the same time we have noticed a downward trend in the number of people buying a match day programme which is making production costs unsustainable in the long term. Match day programmes do contain details of all the visiting squad and players can be identified from their squad numbers (except for players on short term loans or dual registration when this isn’t always possible).

We have therefore decided to stop the general free distribution of team sheets at our games. Team sheets will still be produced but will only be given to people who have bought or who are buying a match day programme for the game. Because team sheets aren’t produced until approximately one hour before the start of the game people may have to return to the programme seller to collect a team sheet later and as long as you produce a programme this will be given to you on trust.

It is important that we increase programme sales and by adding a team sheet to the package it gives even better value for money. We need supporters to realise that we must maximise our commercial sales. The production of a team sheet comes at a very busy time for the few match day staff we now have at the club and they do cost money to produce whether it be in staff time, copying and paper costs or however you look at it and therefore there has to be some return on the cost.

The situation will be reviewed at the end of the season along with a full review of programme sales and costs including the many man hour required to edit and put together these types of productions.

It would help the club if you could support us by purchasing a match day programme at the outlets we have at either side of the ground. Every penny really does count.

Brilliant idea.

#15 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

John North your missing the point why would you want to give away a programme for the sake of teamsheet you still have the costs of producing both items so you would have to sell them separately or lose money which at the end of the day defeats the object

I think its you that are missing the point (in particular the IQ point lol)

My understanding was that squad numbers would make teamsheets obsolete as the guy wearing the No 36 shirt would be the guy allocated the No 36 shirt at the start of the season.

Obviously some of you guys attend Discworld League matches where teamsheets are drafted and appear on the supporters laps within 5 seconds of the teams being announced.

#16 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I know that when a programme is published the team named to play isn't always the team that ends up taking the pitch, as you say the number on the back of the shirt should be that players for the season that was my understanding of re introducing squad numbers, that being the case I see no reason really why there should be a need for the cost of printing a team sheet why not just give these officials a programme.

#17 RhubarbRam

RhubarbRam
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

It should be posted on the website/forum/twitter before the match as well (its done by other clubs) - if the reason is to save money, this is time and cost efficient, and so much else is communicated this way already.

#18 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

What about charging for team sheets.??

#19 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

What about charging for team sheets.??

Sensible but far too simple apparently. How about giving one free (or even at cost) for every pint bought before the match, then theres no need to mess about bothering the program seller.

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Sensible but far too simple apparently. How about giving one free (or even at cost) for every pint bought before the match, then theres no need to mess about bothering the program seller.

By that I mean them having to put last minute inserts in the program - not suggesting you shouldn't buy one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users