Photo
- - - - -

22/03/13 - St Helens v Salford City Reds - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted St Helens (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Salford City Reds (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Discuss the game here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

St Helens squad: Paul Wellens, Ade Gardner, Jordan Turner, Sia Soliola, Francis Meli, Lance Hohaia, Josh Perry, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tony Puletua, Jon Wilkin, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Flanagan, Paul Clough, Josh Jones, Tom Makinson, Nathan Ashe, Alex Walmsley, Dom Speakman.

Edited by hindle xiii, 20 March 2013 - 06:45 PM.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Salford squad: Ryan McGoldrick, Jodie Broughton, Ashley Gibson, Martin Gleeson, Darrell Griffin, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd, Danny Williams, Wayne Godwin, Chris Nero, Matty Ashurst, Andrew Dixon, Stephen Wild, Stuart Howarth, Liam Foran, Ryan Boyle, Jordan James, Adam Neal, Gareth Owen.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

St Helens, by 32.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think we might win this but I'm a little concerned we may be taking it too lightly. Brown has opted to rest Lomax and possibly give a debut to our under 19s hooker, Dom Speakman with possibly Nathan Ashe at fullback, who hasn't played in the first team since 2011. If those two do play then we are extremely inexperienced in two crucial positions and that concerns me. Salford may be looking a bit dire at present but they still managed to beat Hull KR and push Wakey close so I wouldn't put it past them to up their game against us and catch us with our pants down, as it were.

#6 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I certainly think Salford will be 'up' for this game.Not only was it the owner of Saints who introduced Dr Koukash to his first game of rugby league which will add some spice to proceedings,but former players Alan Hunte and Sean Long return to St Helens and it has been suggested one or both of the possible new head coaches for Salford will be in attendance.
The fact that Nathan Brown is repeating what he did at Huddersfield and mess with players positions,and in this case alter the spine of the side,will certainly
make it interesting.I don't think I need add that the first Super League game at Langtree Park between these 2 sides was probably the beginning of the end for Royce Simmons;even though Saints won it.
After last Friday I am amazed to even consider a Salford victory.

#7 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hmmm - I have been v.impressed with Saints recently. But a few changes in key places never helps ... but they should have far too much quality for us to be honest.

We are short up front - Mcpherson & Jewitt both missing and have been our best 2 props this year. That said we have nothing to lose and no-one thinks we will do anything but get thrashed - so maybe we will do ok? 36 - 16 to Saints.

#8 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Saints by 32, with Reds not getting into double figures again
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#9 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Saints by 24.

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Saints by 32, with Reds not getting into double figures again

Well, I must say! We are going up in the world. Bleep refers to us as "Reds" rather than "Pinks". Or is he losing his touch? ;)

Saints will win this one. By about 30 points. Or maybe more. :(

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'll be surprised if this match goes ahead if the forecasted 10-20cm of snow arrives.

#12 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

This game is going to be a lot closer than many are predicting on here. A heavy, snow laden pitch will be a great leveller and will probably lead to plenty of handling errors from both sides. Strong rumor that Hohia is also out and a few others having late fitness tests. Saints could be giving debut's to teenager Dom Speakman at hooker and also bring in Lewis Charnock at stand off for his debut (even though he wasn't named in the original 19).

I'm still going for a Saints win but by 12-14 max.

#13 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

U19s game v Eagles is off but that could be as much down to travel issues and damaging the pitch as much as anything else.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Announcement at 1.30pm, just after Wellens has finished walking up and down the pitch.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Announcement at 1.30pm, just after Wellens has finished walking up and down the pitch.

He started at 6.30 this morning. B)
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Doesn't LP have under soil heating (not a dig, an innocent question)?
Salford have their moments when things stick for them and they can score points. If Saints are without Roby and Hohaia, then that must affect their structure. Should still have more than enough fire power to run straight through if need be, and a home win looks pretty certain to me.
A postponement would be interesting, as Salford are only likely to get better as the season progresses. By the time they play the rearranged Laffranchi will be playing winger under another of Brown's Professor Brainstorm schemes.

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Salford have their moments when things stick for them and they can score points.

I think you're thinking about last season where - at times - we played some of the best rugby in the league.

This season, understandably, there's been a total lack of fluidity and we've looked guileless in attack.

Saints would have to implode spectacularly in order to drop points tonight.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Saints would have to implode spectacularly in order to drop points tonight.

Saints would have to implode spectacularly again in order to drop points tonight... :)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Doesn't LP have under soil heating (not a dig, an innocent question)?

No. The club opted against it, preferring instead to spend vast amounts of cash on a pitch that is specially made to absorb lots of rainwater (although by the state of it this season you wouldn't actually know it). The club didn't think the outlay was worthwhile given the number of games that are actually troubled by very cold weather, which I think is a correct judgement. We had a frozen pitch once last year (which we melted by using a local soccer club's pitch heater thingy) and now we have to clear off snow from the covers today, for the first time this season.

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Saints would have to implode spectacularly again in order to drop points tonight... :)

Given that at least two players are on debut - at hooker and halfback - and we have both our biggest attacking threats out of the game (Roby and Lomax), I wouldn't put it past us to spectacularly implode again actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users