League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/03/13 - St Helens v Salford City Reds - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted St Helens (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Salford City Reds (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

If it's on.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

If it's on.

It is so far. People are at the stadium clearing the surrounding areas but it's snowing again now so I'm not sure how effective that will be.

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I don't think Salford has the attacking nous to exploit any potential weakness.

The one shame of the Koukash era so far is the fact that most of last year's backline were so quick to jump ship.

If we could've held that backline together we'd be a lot further down the line towards challenging for the play-offs.

There were several games last year that we'd have won but for the absence of a dominant pack and a reliable kicker. It was only after the Matty Smith affair that the wheels came off altogether and several players effectively gave up the ghost.

#24 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Try to Saints.

Salford giving pens away for fun, although according to Manchester Radio some seem harsh

#25 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

final score Saints 14 Salford 10

Edited by flyingking, 22 March 2013 - 09:44 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

On tge sl app it says saints are leading 14-10

#27 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Sorry, misheard Wire FM
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#28 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Try to Saints.

Salford giving pens away for fun, although according to Manchester Radio some seem harsh

I actually thought Bentman gave Saints way too much and I'm still trying to figure out how Salford's first effort wasn't a try.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

I don't think Salford has the attacking nous to exploit any potential weakness.

Wrong.

#30 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I actually thought Bentman gave Saints way too much and I'm still trying to figure out how Salford's first effort wasn't a try.

I am still trying to figure out why there was a totally one-sided penalty count in favour of the home side during the first half when Salford were facing the wind and snow and repeat sets;what the purpose of the in-goal judges really is and why the perfectly reasonable looking try was not permitted ?Oh,and how the SCS is criticised when Langtree Park is open to the elements and was partially flooded around the concourse and on the steps,still ! Also,where are the supporters of one of the most successful clubs in the Super League era of summer rugby ?

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Oh,and how the SCS is criticised when Langtree Park is open to the elements and was partially flooded around the concourse and on the steps,still !

Who is criticising the SCS? I thought it was a great stadium when I visited last season. It's dry, for one thing! Langtree Park has a real problem: it's called no walls. But that is entirely the fault of the chairman who wanted an open stadium for summer rugby forgetting that he no longer lives in Hong Kong but in England, when it can snow at Easter time, blow gales and thump down with rain at any time of the year. We are all suffering for his misplaced dream, sadly, and it has been a disappointment to many of us.

Also,where are the supporters of one of the most successful clubs in the Super League era of summer rugby ?

Probably the same place as most of Salford's supporters: unable to get to the stadium thanks to the terrible travelling conditions. Not everybody who supports Saints lives within easy walking distance of the stadium you know. And then there will be children who are too young to be out in that kind of weather and older people who don't want to risk it. So stop having a go when the conditions were atrocious, both inside and outside the stadium. I just hope Salford's injuries are not serious. We only lost one to injury but I believe Salford lost three. It was a high risk decision to play the game given the conditions.

#32 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Wrong.

Oh, good. I was snowed in last night so couldn't make it. Did our attack look a little better?

#33 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I am still trying to figure out why there was a totally one-sided penalty count in favour of the home side during the first half when Salford were facing the wind and snow and repeat sets;what the purpose of the in-goal judges really is and why the perfectly reasonable looking try was not permitted ?Oh,and how the SCS is criticised when Langtree Park is open to the elements and was partially flooded around the concourse and on the steps,still ! Also,where are the supporters of one of the most successful clubs in the Super League era of summer rugby ?

Well, when I've watched Salford this year, giving away penalties, usually late in the tackle count, has been a major problem. The first time, I blamed the ref. The second time, I still blamed the ref. By the fourth time, though, the pattern was obvious. I think our guys just get tired out with the extra tackling they have to do and so give away more penalties, which means more tackling, which means ...

Radio Manchester couldn't work out the reason for the disallowed try, either.

I'm not aware of Saintslass criticising the SCS, but let's be honest, the SCS is a bit of a wind tunnel and it's been freezing cold so far. But so was Belle Vue, and Headingley wasn't exactly tropical. It's cold. It's the weather. I don't like it, but until I am raised to the status of deity, I'll just have to put up with it.

As for your last comment, wow! A Salford fan casting aspersions at another SL club's crowd figures? I hope you're wearing your tin hat, mate! You are on thin ice, there. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor)

As for the game, it sounded like a massive improvement from Salford. If we can keep up that level of defense, we will win games.

Edited by tonyXIII, 23 March 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Oh, good. I was snowed in last night so couldn't make it. Did our attack look a little better?

Your kicking game was superb and your handling was terrific. I think you only dropped a ball once? You went to the edges and caused us problems and you were actively looking for gaps rather than just running into us (we were just running into you!). Also, you were enthusiastic throughout, you came to win, and that was a great attitude to have. That showed when you scored from your own kick as you were in the right position at the right time and saw our weakness at the back. I didn't see you against Warrington, just the tries on Full Time, so I can't comment on whether that was an improvement but you certainly looked good value to me and you played the conditions better than us. I think you have a real gem in Sneyd. Need to get him signed up with a big wage to keep him from Saints, for example, who desperately need a halfback ...

#35 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thanks, Saintslass. I've seen incremental improvements in the two previous games under Hunte, particularly in terms of line speed, intensity in defence etc, so it's good to hear the attack is starting to click into life too.

Sneyd has been great so far but those in the know seem to think Fages will be a bit of a superstar. Young Evalds has also looked promising when he's played.

I think the days of us being asset stripped are gone now and I'd love to see us turn the tables and buy back Ratchford and Turner. Here's hoping!

#36 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Your kicking game was superb and your handling was terrific. I think you only dropped a ball once? You went to the edges and caused us problems and you were actively looking for gaps rather than just running into us (we were just running into you!). Also, you were enthusiastic throughout, you came to win, and that was a great attitude to have. That showed when you scored from your own kick as you were in the right position at the right time and saw our weakness at the back. I didn't see you against Warrington, just the tries on Full Time, so I can't comment on whether that was an improvement but you certainly looked good value to me and you played the conditions better than us. I think you have a real gem in Sneyd. Need to get him signed up with a big wage to keep him from Saints, for example, who desperately need a halfback ...

Saintslass a very fair post indeed - Thanks for your insight. We're rising again albeit slowly.

#37 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was very impressed that so many people made it to the game. I did not want to be out in that at close to 10pm and I was not going to bring my wife out in it either.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#38 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Your kicking game was superb and your handling was terrific.

The knock-on at the end was by the Australian Foran who,in my opinion,has improved game-on-game since he arrived.The previous coach and former Saints full back,Phil Veivers,who you didn't rate,had arranged 10 signings on whatever finance was arranged with the previous regime,as it hurtled towards being wound-up.
It's probably interesting if Mr McManus and Dr Koukash discussed the appointment of a head coach and the reasons why your club approached Nathan Brown while under contract at Huddersfield and did not approach Brian Noble who,I believe,was available early last year.
I have now seen the video recording of the disallowed try and concur with the decision made by the officials.
Is there any reason why the young players at Saints are not blossoming in the same manner as they are at Wigan as the Saints youngsters go bi-annually across to Australia and beat their youngsters in their own backyard but Saints seem to struggle to develop them,despite the sterling work done by Mick Potter ?

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

The previous coach and former Saints full back,Phil Veivers,who you didn't rate,

I don't have an opinion on Phil Vievers. However, when a team only wins one match in 14 under a coach then the coach has to be called into question, especially when that team included some Superleague standard players and former NRL players. In most sides, sides which have aspirations, that would not have been tolerated. If Salford is going to be a club with aspirations then it cannot tolerate one win in fourteen games.

It's probably interesting if Mr McManus and Dr Koukash discussed the appointment of a head coach and the reasons why your club approached Nathan Brown while under contract at Huddersfield and did not approach Brian Noble who,I believe,was available early last year.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything? Brown was in the final year of his contract at Huddersfield and therefore it would be perfectly natural for him to be looking for either a new contract with Hudds or a contract with a new club. But again, I have no idea what that has to do with this thread.

I have now seen the video recording of the disallowed try and concur with the decision made by the officials.

Very good.

Is there any reason why the young players at Saints are not blossoming in the same manner as they are at Wigan as the Saints youngsters go bi-annually across to Australia and beat their youngsters in their own backyard but Saints seem to struggle to develop them,despite the sterling work done by Mick Potter ?

What sterling work was that? The sterling work has been done by the youth coaches at Saints. We gave a debut to two more young players on Friday night. In fact, we have now played 28 of our 35 man squad.

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Was the crowd really as low as 5.3k?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users