Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/03/13 - St Helens v Salford City Reds - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted St Helens (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Salford City Reds (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Was the crowd really as low as 5.3k?

That was the figure given by Saints.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

That was the figure given by Saints.

Jeez. At Wire it was announced as 9.7k - that seems a massive difference cinsiderin Saints generally pull larger crowds.

#43 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Was the crowd really as low as 5.3k?

It had forecast very heavy snow, with our road in Billinge eventually cut off due to snowdrifts 3ft deep. Workers battled through the night to clear it. Now I'm not making this an an excuse, but I for one wasn't about to attend only to find problems on the way home.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 24 March 2013 - 06:52 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#44 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

It's clearly weather related and tbf the game was hardly as unmissable as Wire-Hudds was. If there was ever a game to keep you away from attending it was Salford at home(although it didn't end up being this way)!

Also, the 11,904 at Wigan looks very over generous. Behind the sticks is usually much fuller for a game like that but was full of empty spaces, evenly spread out suggesting they were ST holders missing. Maybe Saints have included how many were actually there whereas others are including the ST holders in the figure.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Oh im sure it was weather related but it seemed extreme that more than 50% of the crowd didnt make it.

#46 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Oh im sure it was weather related but it seemed extreme that more than 50% of the crowd didnt make it.

I am staying not far from Langtree Park and it is remarkable it was only a 50% drop.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Fair enough, we've been pretty much all clear up here in Edinburgh for a change!

#48 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

1)I don't have an opinion on Phil Vievers. However, when a team only wins one match in 14 under a coach then the coach has to be called into question, especially when that team included some Superleague standard players and former NRL players. In most sides, sides which have aspirations, that would not have been tolerated. If Salford is going to be a club with aspirations then it cannot tolerate one win in fourteen games.

2)What sterling work was that? The sterling work has been done by the youth coaches at Saints. We gave a debut to two more young players on Friday night. In fact, we have now played 28 of our 35 man squad.

1) Unless I am very much mistaken that,what you have typed out,is an opinion.Not very favourable when you consider Hull FC don't win too many games without Holdsworth,just one of the players he lost.
2) I meant longevity in the first team.I'll not list the ones given their opportunity by Mick Potter.

That's my lot.No need to reply.

Edited by TwoBlues, 24 March 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#49 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

1) Unless I am very much mistaken that,what you have typed out,is an opinion.Not very favourable when you consider Hull FC don't win too many games without Holdsworth,just one of the players he lost.

He had Holdsworth last season though didn't he? The fourteen games I mentioned extended into the previous season, when he took over from the failed attempt to get another Aussie coach under that ridiculous management Salford had previously. And it may well have been more than fourteen games but that was the figure I'm sure was mentioned at the time of his sacking. For whatever reason, regardless of the playing staff, he wasn't getting the wins and although it was a tough call given the fragile nature of Salford in the off-season, Koukash wants to make the club a success and there is no room for sentiment when trying to turn a failure into a success.

And I still didn't express an opinion about Vievers; I simply put it to you that if a club has aspirations then they cannot tolerate one win from fourteen. All that brings is the wooden spoon.

2) I meant longevity in the first team.I'll not list the ones given their opportunity by Mick Potter.

No young person who had their debut under Mick Potter is now a part of the first choice 17. In fact, with the exception of Gaskell who got one game under Potter, I don't think any of them are at the club anymore. However, Lomax is doing just fine and he's straight from our academy. Jones is now in his second season at centre. Again, he's straight out of the academy.

#50 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

It was an atrocious game and in hindsight should never have gone ahead. The last time I went to a game in such bad conditions and was so bl**dy cold was away at Oldham in the 80's !!!

If Salford want to stop giving away silly penalties then they need to get rid of Stephen Wild, the guys a total liability. The only other thing that stands out from the game was the amount of time Sean Long spent on the pitch - more than half the forwards i'd wager ! Every set that Salford had he was stood in the line directing players where to stand and what play to put on next - it was a total farce.

Hard to really comment on the 2 youngsters making their debut's as they didn't really get to show what they could do. Hopefully they will get more game time throughout the year.

In the end Saints got the 2 points for the win but they missed a golden oppotunity to try and boost their point for & against tally.

#51 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Where did they get that yellow ball from? I noticed that Warrington played with a regular match ball, thought it was a bit weird!

#53 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Where did they get that yellow ball from? I noticed that Warrington played with a regular match ball, thought it was a bit weird!

Steeden.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#54 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Steeden.

Isn't that a bit naughty?

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Isn't that a bit naughty?

Needs must probably. It's alright, by all accounts no-one was watching.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Needs must probably. It's alright, by all accounts no-one was watching.

:D Good point!

It was needed at Warrington too - I'd like to think Rhino had no issue with it, but I do think we should be serious about our responsibility to sponsors.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

:D Good point!

It was needed at Warrington too - I'd like to think Rhino had no issue with it, but I do think we should be serious about our responsibility to sponsors.

When it's snowy Rhino have bright blue balls...

that's why they didn't play against Wakefield.

Ah thank you.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULpsB7UI9I&list=UUDoKbw7Np8oheT6XCtjPf2A

I bet that game was a real culture shock for Liam Foran, only being in the country a few weeks.

#60 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

When it's snowy Rhino have bright blue balls...

that's why they didn't play against Wakefield.

Ah thank you.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users