Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/03/13 - Wigan Warriors v Widnes Vikings - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (15 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

2. Widnes Vikings (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Very embarrassing we gave them a better game in the CC this is dreadful to watch.Time to go through the TV guide mi thinks.

Because you can compare one isolated game with another...

#62 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

At 44-0 after over 40 minutes I doubt there were many people watching on TV or in the stands who thought that Rod Studd's mad idea of declaring at 50 was a bad idea.

#63 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Nah. It must still be embarrassing for a Widnes fan, regardless of anything at all.

#64 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nah. It must still be embarrassing for a Widnes fan, regardless of anything at all.

It's embarrassing and gutting a really spineless performance that kills any anticipation we would have had for the derby on Friday. I've little doubt that we'll compete better but there'll be under 8k there and most of those will be Wire fans.

#65 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I agree but I still bet we would of given them a better game than Widnes have done tonight.

#66 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

I agree but I still bet we would of given them a better game than Widnes have done tonight.

Nor do I but I think our big problem is still that we can't hack it week to week in Super League. We've played well in games that we've had time to prepare for this year but as soon as we've had to back it up the week later we've been spanked.

Doesn't augur well for the Easter period.

#67 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ah van.........errm wtf?!

#68 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

It's embarrassing and gutting a really spineless performance that kills any anticipation we would have had for the derby on Friday. I've little doubt that we'll compete better but there'll be under 8k there and most of those will be Wire fans.

Yet looking at the stats presented on Sky in the after match chat, the two teams were very close on all indicators given except breaks. Widnes were as you say spineless because they didn't turn up to work hard in defence. As a team they should feel very embarrassed by themselves as fulltime professionals and it is such a shame that they chose to revert to their 2012 performance as based upon the majority of their games this year so far they have been good value. I expected them to give Wigan a run for their money and I'm sure Widnes fans were anticipating something similar too based on this season's showing.

I was concerned that at one point Denis Betts said that Widnes had 'defended ok'. I wondered at first whether I had heard him correctly! Perhaps I didn't; perhaps he was just referring to the first three minutes of the match because from my spec they didn't turn up to defend at all and that was all that let them down, but it was a very costly piece of utter laziness.

#69 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Saintslass is right.....far too much like Widnes of last year......trouble is, it was the same last week.....everyone needs a rocket up their ###### otherwise it's going to be a long hard season

#70 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I liked the way Wigan have worked out a new propless game plan.
Widnes will have far better days than this before the year is out. The FC game shows what they can do on their day. Nothing like a home derby to fire the belly.

#71 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

It's a classic example of modern RL

One team was simply too strong and too fast for the other and points racked up quickly

In the old days a mud bath would keep things more even

Widnes tried but were just outclassed at all points by potential champions, whereas Widnes hope not to take the Wooden spoon.

#72 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Yeah we tried and you can't knock the effort.....it's just the ineptitude in defence, an absolute horror show.....almost school boy like errors in positional play.....in fact west bank bears under 9's could have shown them a thing or two about man to man marking

#73 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yes it was embarassing but then again it is probably embarassing when it takes a team with 13 players 9 minutes to score a try against a team with 11 players to win a game but then probably some embarassment was saved because it wasn't televised.

#74 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

Yeah we tried and you can't knock the effort.....it's just the ineptitude in defence, an absolute horror show.....almost school boy like errors in positional play.....in fact west bank bears under 9's could have shown them a thing or two about man to man marking

You can knock the effort, was none shown at all

#75 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

willie isa is arguably the worst signing we have made since kyle white................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#76 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

I guess it wouldn't have made much of a difference but being given 12 points in the first few minutes didn't help.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#77 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

At 44-0 after over 40 minutes I doubt there were many people watching on TV or in the stands who thought that Rod Studd's mad idea of declaring at 50 was a bad idea.

But how many people were watching on TV by then? I'd already changed channel.

#78 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

willie isa is arguably the worst signing we have made since kyle white................

I did tell you
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#79 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

To suggest Widnes were bad might take summat away from the Pies performance.

Thought Betts should have learned from Gentle and just said we'd have lost to a school boy's team last night. ;)

To be fair to Wigan though, they were pretty good.

Reckon Richards would have settled for saving a few of them kicks for closer matches.

On a night like last night it was phenominal goal kicking.

In all the years I've been going last night was up there with the coldest.

Absolutely freezing!!!
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#80 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

If you paid him in stocks and shares instead of cash he might be twice the player he is at the moment.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users