Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern Rail Cup - Week 4

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Gateshead Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders (11 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. Rochdale Hornets v London Skolars (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. South Wales Scorpions v Oldham (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Discuss the games here.

SUNDAY 24th MARCH
Gateshead Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds KO 15:00
Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v London Skolars KO 15:00
South Wales Scorpions v Oldham KO 15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

It would be wonderful for Gateshead to get a win against the All Golds. That will give their fans something to cheer about and give the team a bit of confidence going into the regular season. There is plenty of time for the All Golds to establish themselves, and they must be expecting a good few losses this season as they adjust to the demands of the league, so I'm not too bothered about them losing a match but it would be very hard on the Gateshead crew if they lost to a newcomer. I do hope they win.

I bet Hemel give the Cru a good run for their money but again I'm hoping for a win by the Cru as that will send them into the final and get them motoring into the new season.

The other two games would be interesting to watch as I'm sure each team on their day could beat the opposition.

#3 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

voted for the Hemel game as that's the one I'm going to but being honest I think the most compelling tie of the round is Hornets v Skolars. A real litmus test for the Skolars after beating their southern competitors in recent weeks. Both of them will be in the playoff mix at the end of the year so an interesting one.

#4 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Great to see the above teams playing rugby league.
Been to Hemel a few times , great little set up , also been up to Thunder ,some good youth players with a great attitude .
Refreshing not having the crowed shouting - forward pass/gerom on side every tackle , the locals seem to have a different outlook on the rugby they watch

#5 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Great to see the above teams playing rugby league.
Been to Hemel a few times , great little set up , also been up to Thunder ,some good youth players with a great attitude .
Refreshing not having the crowed shouting - forward pass/gerom on side every tackle , the locals seem to have a different outlook on the rugby they watch

I was thinking about the different nature of the crowds the other day. I think people in the outposts have often fallen in love with the sport itself while many fans of the traditional clubs are first and foremost blinkered followers of that one particular outfit. There isnt that same kneejerk reaction to decry everything as being rubbish and not as good as back in the good old days. The "gerrem onside ref" one does my head in.Once fine, twice no problem but on and on and on and on - I cant remember which Cumbrian club it was last season - one of the W's - at the Skolars but there was a bloke who hollered that at least 50 times. I felt like going over and stuffing his programme in his mouth

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Given that the mini-comp/kockout places are decided this Sunday, can anyone find updated table online? Don't bother trying BBC or sportinglife.......

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Given that the mini-comp/kockout places are decided this Sunday, can anyone find updated table online? Don't bother trying BBC or sportinglife.......

Why not? You will find that the BBC has the information you want, just here: http://www.rugbyleag...rthern_rail_cup

I think the BBC's website is very good.

Edited by Saintslass, 20 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Why not? You will find that the BBC has the information you want
I think the BBC's website is very good.

Not it doesn't. It's a week out of date..... :rolleyes:

http://www.rugbyleag...rthern_rail_cup

Half a table with no points differences on, but better than nothing I suppose.

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Not it doesn't. It's a week out of date..... :rolleyes:

Half a table with no points differences on, but better than nothing I suppose.

I don't know what you're looking at but I'm looking at two full tables which show three games each played. What is out of date about that? And where is this half a table?

Edited by Saintslass, 20 March 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I don't know what you're looking at but I'm looking at two full tables which show three games each played. What is out of date about that? And where is this half a table?

Perhaps you are confused.

Your link is not to the BBC.

This is the BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nship-cup/table

and it's out of date.

Your link is up to date, but with partial tables, and is from the Championships own website, not the BBC.

#11 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

What's the format for the Northern Rail Cup going forward from these two pools please?
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Perhaps you are confused.

Your link is not to the BBC.

But I got to it via the BBC website. Click on 'Championship' on the right hand side of the RL homepage and you will find it yourself under the Northern Rail tab.

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

But I got to it via the BBC website. Click on 'Championship' on the right hand side of the RL homepage and you will find it yourself under the Northern Rail tab.

Yes, but as you can see, it's not the BBC website. Which is out of date.

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

What's the format for the Northern Rail Cup going forward from these two pools please?

Both Group winners join the 14 Champs clubs in a straight knockout last 16. Hence the importance of the tables.....

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yes, but as you can see, it's not the BBC website. Which is out of date.

I have no idea which bit of the BBC website you are talking about because all I do is clink on the Championship link on the right hand side of the RL homepage which takes me to the Championships website and on the right hand tab is Northern Rail Cup. I click on that and everything is there, up to date. It is perfectly sufficient to have that link through from the website. It's better, in fact, than having the same thing repeated by the BBC. Why bother with that when the BBC just facilitates me getting right to the facts? It's all linked to the BBC website, it can be found on the BBC website and I really don't know why you are making such a silly fuss about it.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Both Group winners join the 14 Champs clubs in a straight knockout last 16. Hence the importance of the tables.....

They also play for the Northern Rail Bowl trophy as part of a double header with the Northern Rail Cup.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I have no idea which bit of the BBC website you are talking about because all I do is clink on the Championship link on the right hand side of the RL homepage which takes me to the Championships website and on the right hand tab is Northern Rail Cup. I click on that and everything is there, up to date. It is perfectly sufficient to have that link through from the website. It's better, in fact, than having the same thing repeated by the BBC. Why bother with that when the BBC just facilitates me getting right to the facts? It's all linked to the BBC website, it can be found on the BBC website and I really don't know why you are making such a silly fuss about it.

Perhaps it's the concept of the 'external link' you are struggling with.

Here is the BBC website, out of date:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nship-cup/table

What you posted was a link to a website that has nothing to do with the BBC, but happens to appear as an external link there. No fuss, it's not silly, it's not the BBC website, which is out of date. HTH.

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Perhaps it's the concept of the 'external link' you are struggling with.

Oh give it a rest.

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,347 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Oh give it a rest.

:wacko: Physician heal thyself.

All I said was the BBC website is wrong. You insist it isn't.

#20 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

voted for the Hemel game as that's the one I'm going to but being honest I think the most compelling tie of the round is Hornets v Skolars. A real litmus test for the Skolars after beating their southern competitors in recent weeks. Both of them will be in the playoff mix at the end of the year so an interesting one.

Yeah I would go for Rochdale-Skolars. To me the London outfit seem to have grown some horns these last couple of seasons. A proper Championship club emerging I hope. Hornets away will be a test of that.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users