TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

NRL - Round 3

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Melbourne Storm v Canterbury Bulldogs (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Wests Tigers v Parramatta Eels (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Cronulla Sharks v New Zealand Warriors (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Canberra Raiders v St George Illawarra Dragons (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Newcastle Knights v North Queensland Cowboys (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Discuss the games here.

Thursday, 21st March
Melbourne Storm v Canterbury Bulldogs

Friday, 22nd March
Wests Tigers v Parramatta Eels (at Leichhardt Oval)

Saturday, 23rd March
Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos

Sunday, 24th March
Cronulla Sharks v New Zealand Warriors
Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Canberra Raiders v St George Illawarra Dragons

Monday, 25th March
Newcastle Knights v North Queensland Cowboys

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Well, what a crock that turned out to be. No movement, poor passes and a total lack of ideas near the line. With all the territory we had we should have beaten them comfortably in the end. Keating, you're killing me every week man! How are you a 7 in the NRL?!!!

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well, what a crock that turned out to be. No movement, poor passes and a total lack of ideas near the line. With all the territory we had we should have beaten them comfortably in the end. Keating, you're killing me every week man! How are you a 7 in the NRL?!!!

Not seen the game yet but read that the Bulldogs definitely had enough chances to win it. Have never been overly impressed with Keating, he doesnt exactly strike fear in to the hearts of the opposition, but when you get Barba (next week?) Pritchard, Kasiano and Graham back then its looking good!

#4 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Some very poor calls by the Officials kept the Dogs in the game and despite Storm looking a bit fatigued for the first 20 still had enough in the tank to contain the Dogs. Storm had the better chances overall and bombed a few due to new players not quite up to speed on the attack plays and a couple of glaring errors showed up in defence as well! Unfortunately the Officials made some gob smackingly poor decisions. Daniel Anderson has got to give all the Refs a hard word, they were doing ok this season and took a big step back to the Arrogant 'Arrigan days!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#5 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

How many poor decisions?!! :/ I counted 1, the obstruction which I agree was the wrong call, but if you're referring to Slater's high foot, that was spot on.

#6 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

As Cameron Smith said at the time if the Player hadn't gone for an illegal tackle while Slater was in the air it wouldn't have happened, As the Commentators pointed out Slater would jump like that 2 or 3 times a match with no problem. Wrong call mainly by a VR who paniced himself!

#7 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

As Cameron Smith said at the time if the Player hadn't gone for an illegal tackle while Slater was in the air it wouldn't have happened, As the Commentators pointed out Slater would jump like that 2 or 3 times a match with no problem. Wrong call mainly by a VR who paniced himself!

It was the correct call. Klemmer was about 2 or 3 feet away from Slater when Slater's foot made contact. The 1st sign that Klemmer moved his hands was after he got the boot to the face. There's no law to say you cant put pressure on the FB while he's in the air. All the contact came from Slater's direction. It wasn't intentional though, but it was dangerous. Not all high tackles are intentional, but you still get penalised for them. Think of it that way. Thats where Warren and Gould got it wrong.

Edited by Harrigan, 22 March 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#8 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Well the Judiciary disagree with you http://www.abc.net.a...2?section=sport But I still think if it had been Gareth Widdop instead of Slater a 12 match ban would follow! (I'm still pee'd off about James Graham get done over by the Judiciary though!)

#9 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

They agree with me that it wasnt intentional. Penalty was sufficient like I said. I agree with the Graham ban BTW :lol: If you bite, you deserve a big ban and its not because hes a pom. Anything like that carries a large ban.

#10 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Officials were poor in the Storm-Doggies game. I have no idea how they can strike off Cronks try. That would mean hardly any tries scored. As for the Slater incident Billy has been doing that style of jump for years and never had a problem. Maybe Billy should just get a "Please be careful" letter. Klemmer whilst having the right to challenge should be challening to catch the ball and not touching a player as he didnt look anywhere like he was going for the ball as his feet were on the floor. As usual the media overhyped it because its Billy Slater and he has a number of haters. There were a couple of other 50/50 balls the doggies got. Storm were tired and guess after the opening they have had and in such conditions like 35 plus and in very humid conditions in Townsville plus all the travelling and short turnarounds it was expected. They still look too strong for most sides though.
The Doggies have a few coming back but the likes of Jackson, Klemmer dont deserve to be dropped really. T Rex has done nothing really from the games I have seen. Keating is a weak link for the Doggies. Doggies will still have a good season though and easily make the playoffs.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 22 March 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

Officials were poor in the Storm-Doggies game. I have no idea how they can strike off Cronks try. That would mean hardly any tries scored. As for the Slater incident Billy has been doing that style of jump for years and never had a problem. Maybe Billy should just get a "Please be careful" letter. Klemmer, whilst having the right to challenge, should be challenging to catch the ball and not touching a player as he didnt look anywhere like he was going for the ball as his feet were on the floor. As usual the media overhyped it because its Billy Slater and he has a number of haters. There were a couple of other 50/50 balls the doggies got. Storm were tired and guess after the opening they have had and in such conditions like 35 plus and in very humid conditions in Townsville plus all the travelling and short turnarounds it was expected. They still look too strong for most sides though.
The Doggies have a few coming back but the likes of Jackson, Klemmer dont deserve to be dropped really. T Rex has done nothing really from the games I have seen. Keating is a weak link for the Doggies. Doggies will still have a good season though and easily make the playoffs.

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Parramatta, the comeback is on.......

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

That's hilarious from Marshall. Parra looked dumb there.

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Another daft try after the winger had a brain fart

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Another daft try after the winger had a brain fart

I don't watch alot of NRL but caught Eels v Tigers this morning, my oh my, there's lads pulling on U12s jerseys tomorrow who'll not be conceding trys like that!

Edited by shrek, 22 March 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

double post sorry

Edited by shrek, 22 March 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#17 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

As for the Slater incident Billy has been doing that style of jump for years and never had a problem.

Hasn't he? As far as I'm concerned I can't think of a player who's injured more people collecting a high ball than Billy Slater.

He's put his foot, knee or hip into more people than I care to remember when catching the ball. Technique or not it's dangerous and Slater has knocked several players unconscious while doing it by the way so there is a problem. The problem used to be that he'd tuck his legs and use his hip to hit people in the head, knocked out two people in 2008 doing that in the space of a few games and there was a bit of talk about it, gradually he's now taken to sticking his legs out to dissuade opposition from contesting the ball or tackling him with any momentum.

It's a load of ###### that he's allowed to get away with it. No player should be allowed to leap like he does and lead with the feet. You can't do that. It prevents the opposition from properly contesting the ball out of fear of injury, or making a strong tackle through fear of injury (players won't rush in to make a strong hit because they don't want to get kicked in the head like the Bulldogs player, so they come to a stand still and lose their momentum, basically stood stationary waiting for Slater to land. There's no other option but to stop and stand about like a lemming)

Why should Slater be allowed to use his feet in that way? If a forward running the ball intentionally raises his knees high to inflict injury or scare away the opposition from making a solid tackle then he gets pulled up by the referee and rightly condemned. Jumping through the air with your studs aimed at the defensive line is perfectly alright, running into contact with a raised knee or elbow isn't. What's the difference? Both are done to deter/hurt players on the other team. Both are unnescesary. I'm sure flying through the air like a ninja is a great way to catch high balls, just as I'm sure running at a defensive line with my knee up to your ribs and my elbow in your face would be pretty effective in knocking you over or making you think twice about tackling me.

I don't buy that by jumping for a high ball you should be allowed to extend your foot like that. That's my general view. I particularly don't like Billy Slater doing it. Not content with "accidentally" elbowing or kneeing people when tackling, not content with "accidentally" stamping on people or twisting their limbs about, he also has to "accidentally" hurt people when he's catching the football. He's one clumsy git, isn't he?

But hey he's playing to the rules. Would love a player half as savvy playing for my team. If you can get away with it, and Slater can, why not. But there's not a chance in hell that you can say he's never had a problem with his technique, it's always been controversial and dangerous. Think the Bulldogs rookie is just a bit thick to be running in like that, most players know to give Slater space, lest you get smashed in the face... Accidentally of course. ^_^

#18 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hasn't he? As far as I'm concerned I can't think of a player who's injured more people collecting a high ball than Billy Slater.

He's put his foot, knee or hip into more people than I care to remember when catching the ball. Technique or not it's dangerous and Slater has knocked several players unconscious while doing it by the way so there is a problem. The problem used to be that he'd tuck his legs and use his hip to hit people in the head, knocked out two people in 2008 doing that in the space of a few games and there was a bit of talk about it, gradually he's now taken to sticking his legs out to dissuade opposition from contesting the ball or tackling him with any momentum.

It's a load of ###### that he's allowed to get away with it. No player should be allowed to leap like he does and lead with the feet. You can't do that. It prevents the opposition from properly contesting the ball out of fear of injury, or making a strong tackle through fear of injury (players won't rush in to make a strong hit because they don't want to get kicked in the head like the Bulldogs player, so they come to a stand still and lose their momentum, basically stood stationary waiting for Slater to land. There's no other option but to stop and stand about like a lemming)

Why should Slater be allowed to use his feet in that way? If a forward running the ball intentionally raises his knees high to inflict injury or scare away the opposition from making a solid tackle then he gets pulled up by the referee and rightly condemned. Jumping through the air with your studs aimed at the defensive line is perfectly alright, running into contact with a raised knee or elbow isn't. What's the difference? Both are done to deter/hurt players on the other team. Both are unnescesary. I'm sure flying through the air like a ninja is a great way to catch high balls, just as I'm sure running at a defensive line with my knee up to your ribs and my elbow in your face would be pretty effective in knocking you over or making you think twice about tackling me.

I don't buy that by jumping for a high ball you should be allowed to extend your foot like that. That's my general view. I particularly don't like Billy Slater doing it. Not content with "accidentally" elbowing or kneeing people when tackling, not content with "accidentally" stamping on people or twisting their limbs about, he also has to "accidentally" hurt people when he's catching the football. He's one clumsy git, isn't he?

But hey he's playing to the rules. Would love a player half as savvy playing for my team. If you can get away with it, and Slater can, why not. But there's not a chance in hell that you can say he's never had a problem with his technique, it's always been controversial and dangerous. Think the Bulldogs rookie is just a bit thick to be running in like that, most players know to give Slater space, lest you get smashed in the face... Accidentally of course. ^_^

So you dont like Billy Slater. Get over it! If it was so dangerous, how come its not been banned or even mentioned before? Slater obviously has got the technique from AFL-where the Storm do a lot of training with. A number of AFL players have a similar technique if you look . And why, even now has his technique not be banned if its so dangerous? Everything is dangerous when you look at it, including making a tackle. No player goes out to hurt others and Slater is no differrent. When a player has suffered a serious injury, Slater responded immediately and in the correct manner- remember the Wolfman Incident where he held him and didnt move in case he may have made the neck injury worse. Slater pushes the limits, but maybe thats what makes him the star he is. There is nothing to say what Slater does is dangerous. And Klemmer wasnt even challenging Slater in the air and as such was looking to make a tackle in the air which is illegal and even more dangerous than a Slaters boot and is rightly outlawed

#19 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

But I just told you, it has been mentioned already. Slaters techniques, whether it's goal-line defence or claiming high balls, has been controversial throughout his career. Perhaps pay more attention?

And, as I just told you, he's injured several people in the past claiming high balls, that's a little more than "nothing" to say his technique is dangerous. Unless knocking players out and kicking them in their throat isn't dangerous in your eyes? How many players do you know who've managed to knock unconscious 2 people and stick their boot in someonees neck on another occasion while catching bombs. Name me one other player who's managed that feat... I don't think you can.

It doesn't matter if I like him or not, his technique is dangerous (and suspicious) fullstop. Whether it's Slater or Jarryd Hayne claiming a high ball, I don't think sticking your leg out like that is any more legitimate an action than raising your elbow when carrying the ball, or lifting your knee into someone on a carry. You say it's a good technique for jumping and he got it from the AFL? I say so what. The ball-carrying illegalities I mentioned are good techniques for running the ball too.

If the NRL or SL or whoever else don't want to ban it then that's their perogative and more power to players who are good enough to get away with it. But just because Slater does get away with it doesn't mean it's not a dangerous technique, or that he doesn't have a history of accidentally colliding with players. Just last week he made the mistake of knocking Winterstein unconscious with a misjudged elbow to the head. The hit was late, high and with a raised elbow, in the same manner as Bousquet on Fages, a cheapshot which had everyone enraged. I'd be here too long if I was to list all the times he'd injured players, so we'll just stick to the two times he's done it in the first three rounds of the 2013 season :lol:

There's also sweet-FA to say that Klemmer would have tackled Slater in the air. That's just conjecture. There was more space between Klemmer and Slater than there was Slaters left foot and the floor. For all we know if Slater doesn't have his other foot extended like he did, he'd have touched the floor and been smashed in a legal tackle. I think that would have been the more likely result. Klemmer only had eyes for the ball and was just about stationary when he caught Slaters boot. It's not as if he was rushing in and trying to take Slater out in the air.

#20 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well perhaps the player coming to tackle a player in the air will be made to wait till the player touchs the ground then goes to ground waiting to be tackled. Safe like Union but boring! but in Union thats to protect the catcher!
Did anyone notice later in the match another Storm player went up for a high ball and all of sudden tuck his leading leg in and missed catching the ball cleanly as a result!
Slater gets his fair share of hammering but like any back but he usually gets on with it, Rugbys a tough game in both codes and you will get hurt and unless every ones pads up and it becomes NFL! and they still get hurt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users