Photo
- - - - -

NRL - Round 3

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Melbourne Storm v Canterbury Bulldogs (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Wests Tigers v Parramatta Eels (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Cronulla Sharks v New Zealand Warriors (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Canberra Raiders v St George Illawarra Dragons (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Newcastle Knights v North Queensland Cowboys (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Slater gets slated all the time.
When ever he has been on TV, interviewed or on shows like the Rexona Athlete challenge he comes across as the most humble self depreciating person you could meet.
He is a country boy from NQ and I doubt he is the cocky arrogant player that many judge him as.

#22 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

When ever he has been on TV, interviewed or on shows like the Rexona Athlete challenge he comes across as the most humble self depreciating person you could meet.
He is a country boy from NQ and I doubt he is the cocky arrogant player that many judge him as.

Agreed. I also suspect that if Slater was from NSW and didn't play for Melbourne he wouldn't get half as much stick from the Sydney based RL media.

Edited by thirteenthman, 23 March 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#23 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Titans looking good this year, very big side, Dave taylor, idris, James. Good game, shame it wad decided by a brain explosion gld.

#24 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Slaters character is irrelevant. It's perplexing that people think him being a good bloke has anything to do with his style of play being extraordinarily and suspiciously dangerous. Can't good people be dirty/dangerous players?

The idea that Slater doesn't know what he's doing and is just the most accident prone man in the history of sport, for a start it's delusion but apart from that it's an insult to Slaters intelligence. A player as smart, not to mention hardworking, as Slater is just too thick to make a tackle in the in-goal without leading with his feet/knees or elbowing a player in the head? He's too thick to complete tackles without akwardly twisting limbs? Too thick to catch a ball without hitting people in the head wih great force? Sorry, I don't buy it. He's too smart, too competetive and too much of a perfectionist for him to not, at the very least, understand the consequence of his technique.

About NSW and NSW media. Billy Slater is a protected species in all forms of media. I've rarely seen anything bad said about him, despite all the cheap shots on the field. Saying Slater gets stick is like saying that Tomkins is villified by the British media. It's so at odds with reality. The rare times he is put under the spotlight it's after he accidentally injures a few people back-to-back, ie, they're forced to discuss it because it's unavoidable.

But the fact of the matter is that Slater or not you shouldn't be allowed to stick your foot out, thus forcing the defence to stand back, still, and like a bunch of lemmings. Feet stuck out like that are as nescesary as a raised elbow in the tackle, to repeat myself for a 3rd time, there's no legitimacy in doing it. They're right not to ban Billy but they do need to look at making a change in rules there before everyone starts doing it

#25 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

It wouldn't be the first time the NRL have introduced a new rule or interpretation because of Slater finding ways to hurt people, by the way. It's not as if there isn't a precedence of changing the rules to prevent Billy from cheap shotting people.

The NRL got real tough on players leading with their feet a couple of years back. The introduced strict enforcement was a direct response to outrage and injury caused by Slater, who kept kneeing and kicking people in an attempt to stop tries. It's interesting to look at what was said back in 2008 about his in-goal tackling technique shortly before the ban.

"If he cuts a player open, nothing will save him. It's got to stop. It's a dangerous practice. The only reason he wasn't charged was because he made no contact with the player, but this was centimetres from a catastrophe. Ricky has taken it extremely seriously. I doubt if we'll see it again. We've given where we stand on the matter. The refs are really concerned. It's a serious matter. He could injure a player. It's an intentional action. If it goes wrong he could be looking at a serious striking charge.

The players all accept they have a duty of care … if he makes contact with the face he could seriously injure someone. Some players get into habits and this is a habit he's got at the moment, but a lot of people would like to see it out of his game." - Greg McCallum

The season after the NRL began the practice of charging players who "lead with either their feet or legs in a dangerous fashion" in trying to save a try, in direct response to Slaters dodgy technique. So don't for a moment think that the rules being as they are make the act of sticking your leg out when catching the ball self-justifying. It's a big risk and if we see a similar incident to the Klemmer one, whether it's by Billy or any other player, it will be high on the NRLs agenda to look to outlaw the technique.

#26 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

That's your view Chris, well put but at variance with the views of the match review committee, the commentary team on the TV broadcast and the simple act of watching the incident at full speed and watching out for any intentional foul play. Your outrage also goes against the views of Des Hasler who doesn't consider Slater to be the grub you describe.
Given the way that the match official gave a penalty against Slater which resulted in a Bulldogs try then Bulldogs actually benefitted from the incident given that Klemmer went for Slater while he was in mid-air.

Edited by G Las D, 24 March 2013 - 08:44 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I thought the NRL wasn't meant to be on Bet365 any more?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Panthers and the Rabbits was a decent high scoring game.

#29 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

With regard to Slater, when I was young I played some full back and was always told to bring my knees up when catching the high ball so the game coming to tackle me had to run through it. It was meant as protection for yourself as there were no tackled in the air laws etc. He will have been brought up on exactly the same rules so I understand why he has his legs/knees raised. I think it just looks worse for him because of how high he can jump, certainly a lot higher than I ever could.

#30 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

When I met him he was very polite and quite shy. He came across as somebody who is genuine and cared about the game and what was happening. Certainly nothing like as arrogant and big headed as some have tried to paint him. He is not perfect but certainly not the devil as some want paint him as.

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

When I met him he was very polite and quite shy. He came across as somebody who is genuine and cared about the game and what was happening. Certainly nothing like as arrogant and big headed as some have tried to paint him. He is not perfect but certainly not the devil as some want paint him as.

I agree, I have not spoken with him but I have been to events where he has been guest speaker, he is nothing like a smug bighead in any way shape or form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users