Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Koukash on FiveLive

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

All you haters need to tune into Radio 5 right now. The bloke is tearing it up!

Legend

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

In English, he's chatting positively into a mic that's too far away to a chap who hasn't a clue.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

The irony!

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

What occurred?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I thought Koukash was great. Loved the way he sneaked in the promo for the ladies night! :D

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

What occurred?

Dr Koukash, Noble and Morley had a good chat about all things RL. Worth a listen on iplayer, didn't start until 9.10pm though so don't fret if it's not league right away.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Did he talk sense? What was his overall thoughts and views on the game?

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Did he talk sense? What was his overall thoughts and views on the game?

He talked lots of sense. What stood out for me was his enthusiasm for the sport itself and his enjoyment of its community nature. But he also said that rugby league has consistently undersold and undermarketed itself, which is so obvious really but it is still good to hear somebody actually say it! Pity the RFL hasn't quite clicked on to that yet. Not in any serious way anyway.

#9 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

In the bit that I heard about the salary cap, he basically said he wants an exemption for his club so that he doesn't have to wait 6 years to reap the harvest of his investment. So, a great advert for the salary cap then.

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

In the bit that I heard about the salary cap, he basically said he wants an exemption for his club so that he doesn't have to wait 6 years to reap the harvest of his investment. So, a great advert for the salary cap then.

I thought he had a point. We want a competitive league. For Salford to be competitive they basically have to buy almost an entire new squad as the last one was poached of its best players/players retired, and recruitment was badly managed anyway. It would be in the best interests of the whole league and the game nationally to allow Salford the freedom to obtain a competitive squad. It need only be a one off exemption.

As for the salary cap point generally, he also said something valid there too: how can we compete with the NRL when our salary cap is basically half of theirs? I think he was asking what are our priorities. And his statement about the struggling clubs was spot on: they will struggle no matter what level the salary cap is set at.

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

People can dream but SL is a weak competition full of weak clubs in the main that struggle to survive running a main team and an academy. The odd club like Leeds may do things right but sadly they are held back by others. Koukash needs to wake up and see the reality that SL is. It will never compete with the NRL as SL is a small comp propped up by Sky in the main who throw a few million at it. The comp gets next to no media coverage and most of the clubs will never average over 10,000 fans per season. The NRL is a multi Billion Dollar industry and gets wall to wall coverage in the Nations media. Many of the clubs average over 15,000 per season and big names like Vodafone, Holden Cars, Kaspersky want to be involved. SL and the people in it need to accept this and concentrate on doing whats right for the good of the game and not live in a fantasy world. Its good Koukash has got involved with Salford but he needs to sort the many problems off field out first instead of looking to buy success. I wish him and Salford well but for me the club needs to build off field as much as on field. All I hear is how Koukash wants instant success on the field and I am yet to be convinced he is prepared to be patient and build properly on and off the field

#12 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

People can dream but SL is a weak competition full of weak clubs in the main that struggle to survive running a main team and an academy. The odd club like Leeds may do things right but sadly they are held back by others. Koukash needs to wake up and see the reality that SL is. It will never compete with the NRL as SL is a small comp propped up by Sky in the main who throw a few million at it. The comp gets next to no media coverage and most of the clubs will never average over 10,000 fans per season. The NRL is a multi Billion Dollar industry and gets wall to wall coverage in the Nations media. Many of the clubs average over 15,000 per season and big names like Vodafone, Holden Cars, Kaspersky want to be involved. SL and the people in it need to accept this and concentrate on doing whats right for the good of the game and not live in a fantasy world. Its good Koukash has got involved with Salford but he needs to sort the many problems off field out first instead of looking to buy success. I wish him and Salford well but for me the club needs to build off field as much as on field. All I hear is how Koukash wants instant success on the field and I am yet to be convinced he is prepared to be patient and build properly on and off the field

paragraphs are your friend
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#13 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

He talked lots of sense. What stood out for me was his enthusiasm for the sport itself and his enjoyment of its community nature. But he also said that rugby league has consistently undersold and undermarketed itself, which is so obvious really but it is still good to hear somebody actually say it! Pity the RFL hasn't quite clicked on to that yet. Not in any serious way anyway.

I think it's great to have the good Dr involved in rugby league.What a breath of fresh air ,and he is ruffling a few feathers along the way.Most people think the game is under marketed and his bit of hype
is getting publicity for the game.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Very good post that.....even though I enjoy him shaking things up.

It's a bit like a fight in the middle of a game your watching, you tut tut but really your loving it!

#15 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

As opposed to being propped up by performance enhancing drugs!

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

his statement about the struggling clubs was spot on: they will struggle no matter what level the salary cap is set at.

So he doesn't need an exemption then. He just needs to invest smartly.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

The Doc has only just begun. Wait until he's warmed up. Things are certainly going to get interesting for sure.

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Wait till the horse racing flat season starts you won't hear or see him for the 6 months as he will be all around the world with his horses. This is just an hobby to pass the time for 6 months while his horses are not running.😉

#19 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

So that's the end of franchising and salary caps, well said Doc. Let the cream rise and the sheeite drown. The governing body is holding back the sport with its ludicrous policies/R&R's, let the BIG clubs evolve and the smaller ones dream. A few weeks ago Salford were a minnow in RL terms, next year without the barriers they could be a real challenger - that's SPORT - and imagine the fun fans will have along the way - the only caveat I would install would be any investment must never be via Directors loans or PG's on debt.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

As opposed to being propped up by performance enhancing drugs!

to be fair, though, they only enhance the Aussies' physical performance, not their intellectual performance:

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'

'Bout the raising of the wrist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users