Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Koukash on FiveLive

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#401 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

The Koukash revolution continues yet Hunte still not ruled out. Heck of an improvement but no sign of Brian Smith today.

#402 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Nobby is with Koukash at Doncaster races, apparently.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#403 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

The Koukash revolution continues yet Hunte still not ruled out. Heck of an improvement but no sign of Brian Smith today.

I don't think he will become head coach, but he will still have a job at the club.

Nobby is with Koukash at Doncaster races, apparently.

I think thats a given now that the job is Nobbys if he wants it.

#404 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Unless there is a long line of very rich people who are holding back their investment then removing the cap is pointless. I think it is pointless in any case due to tge limited RL player base. Even if we had an owner willing to spend 5m a year, would that enable them to outpay NRL and RU. And even then would that extra pay be enough to cover the player losses in endorsements and the prestige of RU internationals or SOO?

What we need, in order to attract mildly wealthy backers to our weaker clubs is a way to allow them to improve their clubs in order to close the gap.

As to what that solution is, I am not sure.

#405 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

And if we did sign an Owen Farell type player on silly money what would that really achieve. The stars of rugby codes are not like a Beckham or Rooney. I'm sure many non sports fans don't even know there are two codes. Would the army of RU fans (who don't even attend Sale games) suddenly start watching league?

I doubt most RU fans would convert even if RL clubs signed the entire England RU squad

#406 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

And if we did sign an Owen Farell type player on silly money what would that really achieve. The stars of rugby codes are not like a Beckham or Rooney. I'm sure many non sports fans don't even know there are two codes. Would the army of RU fans (who don't even attend Sale games) suddenly start watching league?

I doubt most RU fans would convert even if RL clubs signed the entire England RU squad

Yes.

#407 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

If he is serious about making Salford a success he'll be commited to investing wisely over several years like Moran did at Warrington to ensure long term stability and success starting at grass roots level within the club and building slowly. Moran has been on the board of directors at Warrington for over ten years,but it's only the last 3 to three to four years which has seen his investment pay off. There are no overnight 'quick fixes' and any overnight success he does achieve will be short term benefit for long term failure. It's interesting to note that Salford now seem in close contact on a regular basis with Adrian Morley, who has not ruled out a move to Salford when his current Warrington contract expires at the end of the season. Realistically Warrington should have sold Morley to Salford and Koukash when they first enquired about him for a fee. He's been a fantastic servant to Warrington but it would appear his primrose and blue days are numbered,and he'll bea Salford player next season anyway.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#408 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

If he is serious about making Salford a success he'll be commited to investing wisely over several years like Moran did at Warrington to ensure long term stability and success starting at grass roots level within the club and building slowly. Moran has been on the board of directors at Warrington for over ten years,but it's only the last 3 to three to four years which has seen his investment pay off. There are no overnight 'quick fixes' and any overnight success he does achieve will be short term benefit for long term failure. It's interesting to note that Salford now seem in close contact on a regular basis with Adrian Morley, who has not ruled out a move to Salford when his current Warrington contract expires at the end of the season. Realistically Warrington should have sold Morley to Salford and Koukash when they first enquired about him for a fee. He's been a fantastic servant to Warrington but it would appear his primrose and blue days are numbered,and he'll bea Salford player next season anyway.

Yes that was poor business by Warrington.

#409 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I hope Morley isn't signed as a player, think he would be a waste of cap money.

I would however offer him a job promoting the sport in the city and neighbourhoods. Morley talks the talk but in 20 years hasn't shown any real desire to play for Salford.

#410 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I would however offer him a job promoting the sport in the city and neighbourhoods. Morley talks the talk but in 20 years hasn't shown any real desire to play for Salford.

I agree with you, RW. I don't think he can offer us enough game time. However, I would like to think that this particular Salford lad had something to offer the club and vice versa.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#411 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

tbf to Morley he goes where the decent offers are. We must assume that Salford have never made the right offer - i assume they werent previously in a position to compete with NRL or Wire - that doesnt mean he doesnt want to play for his home town club.

On his playing side, his injury situation is a worry, but id have him in the side every time and hed do a great job for you. He may not be as dynamic as he was, but he is technically very good at pretty much every ruck, with and without the ball.

#412 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Unless there is a long line of very rich people who are holding back their investment then removing the cap is pointless. I think it is pointless in any case due to tge limited RL player base. Even if we had an owner willing to spend 5m a year, would that enable them to outpay NRL and RU. And even then would that extra pay be enough to cover the player losses in endorsements and the prestige of RU internationals or SOO?

What we need, in order to attract mildly wealthy backers to our weaker clubs is a way to allow them to improve their clubs in order to close the gap.

As to what that solution is, I am not sure.

Great posts summing this up tremendously.

It seems that when we have no solutions we revert to fantasy solutions e.g. half the owners of SL clubs suddenly deciding to spend millions of their own money, SKY suddenly adding tens of millions to the contract for a second tier SL or four french clubs entering SL in 2015.

The raiding union thing has no logical basis when even if you could outbid a richer game the player risks blowing his career by failing in SL. Too many RL players have failed going the other way. You'd need to offer a ten year contract at a 50% premium to oust Union stars from a game with a massively bigger profile, and even then I doubt they'd go. After all our biggest stars turn down money to join smaller clubs.

I also think there's no legs in raiding RL because it could upset the current equilibrium where AFAIK there's an understanding the two codes co-exist and don't make policy to wipe the other out. I think this comes from the sports England grant situation. We'd get a shock if the RU decided to take us on.

I think it's logical to look to Toulouse for expansion and more money, but illogical to reduce SL down and lose the 26 match programme to playing some clubs 3x again.

The solution will be good honest tinkering and nothing seismic for my money i.e. plod on until something turns up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users