Dr Koukash on FiveLive

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#41 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

To be fair if the Dr is wanting an open salary cap that's the way I see it going if he gets his wish. You then will have Leeds.saints.wigan.wire.hudds.salford and maybe bulls and the 2 hull teams. So that's 9 teams for SL1 in an open salary cap comp but who would be the other team to make it 10? Catalans maybe? Then you can have SL2 with the salary cap it is at now in SL and the team that wins SL2 as the option of going up or not. I think that would work personally and it would make 2 great comps IMO.

I don't know what other fans think of this idea but I think it would improve our game no end.

#42 brooza

brooza
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

We also need a marquee player rule as a matter of urgency.

Would you make it the same or different to the one that was introduced a couple of years ago?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'd much rather we pay our best players what they are worth and have them here, making our own competition that much better.

But our competition won't be suddenly streets better because a dozen players spread around the league choose not to go union or NRL.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

So the game is losing a fortune as it is with tight financial limits and people want the cap scrapped.

Do people not see what is happening in Football and RU? The losses in those sports is scary - the difference is that they have rich people prepared to support them, when we have clubs going to the wall for a fraction of their debts.

We need to do the best for us, if we lose players elsewhere, fair enough, if we try and compete with the NRL and Union then we will get ourselves into serious trouble.

I'd rather have a club in 20 years when our rich backer may have moved on rather than a basket case of a club.

One thing to remember is that if the SL clubs wanted to scrap the salary cap they'd have done it by now - it looks to me like the rich backers don't want a free market.

#45 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

One thing to remember is that if the SL clubs wanted to scrap the salary cap they'd have done it by now - it looks to me like the rich backers don't want a free market.

Why would Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington etc want an increase in the cap ? Its not in their interests - they're the top clubs now and would still be the top clubs under a raised cap. Only now its cheaper for them. There's nothing in it for them - be a top club spending more or a top club spending less, its a no-brainer really.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

So the game is losing a fortune as it is with tight financial limits and people want the cap scrapped.

Do people not see what is happening in Football and RU? The losses in those sports is scary

This.

And clubs have gone to the wall in union - and continue to do so. We may laugh at our friends Manchester but their plight was caused by overspend and then being unable to pay salaries at all.

Lower league soccer - the level we should compare ourselves to most - is awash with reformed clubs.
- Severus, July 2012

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Why would Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington etc want an increase in the cap ? Its not in their interests - they're the top clubs now and would still be the top clubs under a raised cap. Only now its cheaper for them. There's nothing in it for them - be a top club spending more or a top club spending less, its a no-brainer really.

Take my club - Moran may have decided that he would have liked the ability to sign James Graham when he went to the NRL. Maybe pick up Eastmond too. Joel Tomkins would have been nice. The salary cap pretty much stops this happening. That's what's in it for them.

The top clubs could put some distance between them and the next group. We would see who is serious about investing in players - transfer fees would be the norm again.

I agree they don't want it, and I think it is because we have attracted a certain kind of investor, people who see the benefits of sensible sustained businesses in SL, that has to be a positive.

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

regardless of the salary cap or signing the best players how will koukash get more bums on seats to actually make the club self sufficient?? a 1900 crowd for the visit of hull kr is hardly a crowd to make money for the club..........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

regardless of the salary cap or signing the best players how will koukash get more bums on seats to actually make the club self sufficient?? a 1900 crowd for the visit of hull kr is hardly a crowd to make money for the club..........

It is a worry - there were only 3.7k against Warrington, the crowds were rarely that low at the Willows even when Salford were pants there.

Let's see what happens over the coming months on this front though.

#50 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

To be fair if the Dr is wanting an open salary cap that's the way I see it going if he gets his wish. You then will have Leeds.saints.wigan.wire.hudds.salford and maybe bulls and the 2 hull teams. So that's 9 teams for SL1 in an open salary cap comp but who would be the other team to make it 10? Catalans maybe? Then you can have SL2 with the salary cap it is at now in SL and the team that wins SL2 as the option of going up or not. I think that would work personally and it would make 2 great comps IMO.

With most clubs losing money it's difficult to see how they would have the cash to increase their salary cap spend. For example I'm sure I've heard Neil Hudgell on the radio recentley saying that Hull KR would vote for a lower salary cap.

#51 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Take my club - Moran may have decided that he would have liked the ability to sign James Graham when he went to the NRL. Maybe pick up Eastmond too. Joel Tomkins would have been nice. The salary cap pretty much stops this happening. That's what's in it for them.

The top clubs could put some distance between them and the next group. We would see who is serious about investing in players - transfer fees would be the norm again.

I agree they don't want it, and I think it is because we have attracted a certain kind of investor, people who see the benefits of sensible sustained businesses in SL, that has to be a positive.

Having said that though Dave, It was Warrington's own Mr. Gatcliffe who came out and agreed with Dr. Koukash that the salary cap should be raised. Although, unlike Dr. Koukash, he probably appreciates the reasons why it won't.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

how will koukash get more bums on seats to actually make the club self sufficient??

Apparently endlessly spouting on about how rubbish Super League is and how unfair the set-up is to Salford will drive the thousands to the gate.
- Severus, July 2012

#53 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

when steve o'connor made his projections for super league and the club to be almost self financing his projection was a 7000 average gate to make us competetive with the top clubs, our lowest home gate this season was against hull fc which was 5500.but we are certainly short of the magic figure. koukash would be well advised to talk to simon moran and learn how to make a club financially sound and competetive on the pitch from humble beginnings.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#54 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

They didn't do that for the Crusaders

Are we excluding the 700k lent to Crusaders secured against the Race Course ground?

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

But our competition won't be suddenly streets better because a dozen players spread around the league choose not to go union or NRL.

Let's assume the current crop of English players in the NRL went there/are staying there because the money is better, just for the sake of this debate. Are you saying our game would not be better for having the Burgess brothers, James Graham and Widdop playing in it?

Edited by Saintslass, 21 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Are we excluding the 700k lent to Crusaders secured against the Race Course ground?

That was a loan against a sale. The RFL still own the lease on Odsal.

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Apparently endlessly spouting on about how rubbish Super League is and how unfair the set-up is to Salford will drive the thousands to the gate.

Koukash hasn't spouted about Super League being rubbish. Quite the opposite actually. He has stated quite clearly his admiration for rugby league, and has used specific examples of how much he enjoys watching the sport.

#58 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

As opposed to being propped up by performance enhancing drugs!

You'll be dissappointed to know it's now apparently only the Cronulla 31 in the frame.
Doesn't union have a salary cap that no one takes any notice of?

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Having said that though Dave, It was Warrington's own Mr. Gatcliffe who came out and agreed with Dr. Koukash that the salary cap should be raised. Although, unlike Dr. Koukash, he probably appreciates the reasons why it won't.

There is quite a difference between wanting it raising and scrapping. There seems to be a groundswell of support for crazy spending just so we can keep a few players. The cap has remained static for quite a few years now, a debate around a sustainable increase should always be on the table, I'd be very nervous about scrapping it.

When Wigan were struggling, I bet nobody would have supported Whelan coming out with some of the stuff Koukash is now.

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

koukash would be well advised to talk to simon moran and learn how to make a club financially sound and competetive on the pitch from humble beginnings.

Don't go down this route! We had this debate and there were some strong opinions that Koukash can learn nothing from other clubs as he is a succesful businessman in his own right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users