• 6,023 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

http://www.express.c...s-gets-go-ahead

#2 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

How many people on here remember the last time we "Expanded" the WCC to include the entire league?

Both finalists were Australian, and if I remember correctly (& I'm sure to be corrected) all the semi-finalists were too, what make anyone think we have a strong enough League to prevent it happening again?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

That article doesn't actually confirm that this has got the go ahead, and when asked on Boots n All last night, Gary Hetherington merely said that the Aussies clubs were now more aware of what the plan was.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

How many people on here remember the last time we "Expanded" the WCC to include the entire league?

Both finalists were Australian, and if I remember correctly (& I'm sure to be corrected) all the semi-finalists were too, what make anyone think we have a strong enough League to prevent it happening again?

I assume this won't happen again because the proposal is not to include all of the teams.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Why do people argue against something using an extreme?

If you'd read the proposal, you'd see that that isn't on the cards and never will be.
Posted Image

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

People like arguing, Wellsy.

Personally, I'd still like us to develop the 'Champions League' format that McManus is keen on, but I suspect the Hetherington plan is a more likely outcome.

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

People like arguing, Wellsy.

No they don't.

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

No they don't.

##### you!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

##### you!

I couldn't agree more.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

No they don't.

Just to be clear, argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

its a bleeding ridiculous idea....it does'nt even "expand" the WCC....

3v3 & 2v2 games have nothing to do with the 1v1 WCC game....

so confident that format will work it'll only be used when the "WCC" is held in the uk every other year,in australia it'll be a single WCC game....its a effing shambles...why flip flop between formats???? it devalues a already worthless competition...

a proper expanded WCC should be a 4team 1v2 & 2v1 semi finals then a WCC final...rotated annually...

not rocket science...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

Gary Hetherington should not be allowed anywhere near the management of this game.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

as i understand it leeds & wigan have wrangled it so they play in the "expanded" WCC whether they are champions or not......

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Doubt it will ever happen.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

as i understand it leeds & wigan have wrangled it so they play in the "expanded" WCC whether they are champions or not......

if we have a situation where we have three teams involved that either didnt finish top 3, or make the gf or win the challenge cup thwn thats me done with this game.
It will have to be a top 3 series if they go down this route.
If leeds or wigan finish 6th say, and make no finals there can be.no justification for them being part of it.

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

As I said earlier, McManus's vision of a champions league format could be a huge gamechanger for rugby league.

I'm not so keen on Gary Hetherington's idea though.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

As I said earlier, McManus's vision of a champions league format could be a huge gamechanger for rugby league.

I'm not so keen on Gary Hetherington's idea though.

I'd like to think that if the three match 'World Series' proved to be competitive and attractive to audiences on both sides of the world then it would be much easier to progress this on to a top 4 from each comp tournament.

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'd like to think that if the three match 'World Series' proved to be competitive and attractive to audiences on both sides of the world then it would be much easier to progress this on to a top 4 from each comp tournament.

Absolutely. If this is intended to be a bridgehead in east abolishing a more meaningful competition then I'm all for it.

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

but a NRL runner up v SL champions & NRL champions v SL runner up..then a final......instantly makes it a more meaningful comp...

fannying about having a "world series" one year... then a single game WCC the next....does absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the WCC we're used to and a expanded version..

OLDHAM RLFC

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Gary Hetherington should not be allowed anywhere near the management of this game.

Why? or is it just the Leeds thing?
Leeds have just announced a turnover of £10.7m and a profit of close to £0.7m.That suggests he knows how to keep a club solvent and maybe,just maybe do the same for others.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 March 2013 - 11:27 AM.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users