RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Expanded WCC to get the go ahead it appears

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

he's very self-serving

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

but a NRL runner up v SL champions & NRL champions v SL runner up..then a final......instantly makes it a more meaningful comp...

fannying about having a "world series" one year... then a single game WCC the next....does absolutely nothing to bridge the gap between the WCC we're used to and a expanded version..

I agree. I think what they don't want though is an all Aussie final, which is a risk. The World Series way guarantees cross-competition games, and if that proves to be a success and the SL clubs are not whipping boys then I think the argument that it could be a meaningful comp would be much easier to state.

I'd love to see a time when we have a WCC consisting of:

Melbourne Storm
South Sydney
New Zealand Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Warrington Wolves (for selfish reasons :) )
Catalan Dragons
Leeds Rhinos
Wigan Warriors (I'd happily see these replaced by a successful London team :D )

That would have a genuine world feel about it - it needs to be the aim.

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

he's very self-serving

And every other SL CEO only has the interests of the game at heart. :rolleyes: .FFS.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I agree. I think what they don't want though is an all Aussie final, which is a risk. The World Series way guarantees cross-competition games, and if that proves to be a success and the SL clubs are not whipping boys then I think the argument that it could be a meaningful comp would be much easier to state.

Melbourne Storm
South Sydney
New Zealand Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Catalan Dragons
Leeds Rhinos

This.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

And every other SL CEO only has the interests of the game at heart. :rolleyes: .FFS.

I think you are right. If Hetherington was boss of the RFL then he would move to serving the interests of the RFL. People always sturggled to get this with Maurice Lyndsay and would never trust him due to his association with Wigan.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Melbourne Storm
South Sydney
New Zealand Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Catalan Dragons
Leeds Rhinos

if you/we want a top 4 v top 4............we have to start with top 2 v top 2

and so what if it's a all australia final.........theres a decent chance it could be a all english final too.......so what?

OLDHAM RLFC

#27 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

as I said a few months ago why not turn the wcc into a ryder cup style comp . Have our two grand finalist qualifying for it along with a play off between the two grand final semi final losers for the third place . Could then make the grand final day a double header. Each super league team plays all three of the nrl teams picking up points for there league . So with nine matches in total nine points would be up for grabs needing five to be champions.We could have golden point rule if a game is level after 80 minutes.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

the point im getting at is the CEO of leeds should'nt have been put in charge of finding a solution for making a SL V NRL game bigger....his solution has put his club ( & wigan) in a "world series"...

if they would have asked a outsider to come up with a idea to expand" the WCC concept...even a simple man would have suggested top 2 from each competition....

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

as I said a few months ago why not turn the wcc into a ryder cup style comp . Have our two grand finalist qualifying for it along with a play off between the two grand final semi final losers for the third place . Could then make the grand final day a double header. Each super league team plays all three of the nrl teams picking up points for there league . So with nine matches in total nine points would be up for grabs needing five to be champions.We could have golden point rule if a game is level after 80 minutes.

Or half a point for a draw. They have draws in the Ryder Cup, don't they?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

the point im getting at is the CEO of leeds should'nt have been put in charge of finding a solution for making a SL V NRL game bigger....his solution has put his club ( & wigan) in a "world series"...

if they would have asked a outsider to come up with a idea to expand" the WCC concept...even a simple man would have suggested top 2 from each competition....

You just have ;)

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

ssshhhh lol

its the age old problem with rugby league and the people that run it.......instead of doing the simple thing......we do the stupid,convoluted thing.

Edited by roughyedspud, 22 March 2013 - 11:53 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

ssshhhh lol

its the age old problem with rugby league and the people that run it.......instead of doing the simple thing......we do the stupid,convoluted thing.

'Twas ever thus.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,526 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

if you/we want a top 4 v top 4............we have to start with top 2 v top 2

and so what if it's a all australia final.........theres a decent chance it could be a all english final too.......so what?

The point is that whether we like it or not, the Aussies, including the clubs, sponsors and TV companies are not exactly falling over themselves to get involved with this.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with it, there is an argument that we (SL clubs) have to prove ourselves after the damaging WCC 16 years ago. Many of the worst performances were from the top teams at that time, and people still bring that up now - it was brought up earlier on this thread.

If you prove that SL teams can genuinely compete with the NRL clubs, in-season, then it strengthens the argument to roll out a full WCC tournament, hopefully with a willing sponsor and TV company.

#34 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with it, there is an argument that we (SL clubs) have to prove ourselves after the damaging WCC 16 years ago. Many of the worst performances were from the top teams at that time, and people still bring that up now - it was brought up earlier on this thread.

we won...we beat the north queensland cowboys ;)

seriously though...1997 was 16 years ago.....english clubs have dominated the WCC since, the general concensus among people who know what they are talking about is our top 3 or 4 clubs would comfortably compete in the NRL today...we actually don't need to convince anyone we are over what happened 16 years ago!

Edited by roughyedspud, 22 March 2013 - 12:44 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#35 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

ps....

theres absolutely no need or call for a "full WCC tournament".............top 2 v top 2 would be fine and something to build on for the foreseeable future

OLDHAM RLFC

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

If you prove that SL teams can genuinely compete with the NRL clubs, in-season, then it strengthens the argument to roll out a full WCC tournament, hopefully with a willing sponsor and TV company.

that last bit...about finding a willing sponsor & tv company......

idea 1 - top 2 v top 2, a double header semi final then a 'world championship' final...rotated between being hosted in england & australia

idea 2 - year 1 we have 3v3,2v2 & 1v1 games....only the 1v1 game means anything....held in england
- year 2 we have a 1v1 game held in australia..

seriously...which option provides the biggest scope to make some money from tv and sponsorship deals?? aswell as increasing the validity of the WCC brand?

lol god it's frustrating

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users