Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

worth a gamble

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

That is by no means, a given!!!

Nowt to say he won't be either, though it will obviously take time to recover full fitness, form, and quite probably confidence.

Can't comment on the Sheffield game as I haven't seen it, but I thought Ben Hellewell stepped up his performance in the Keighley game, particularly in defence. That said, I'm never against us looking to strengthen the squad as is felt necessary. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nowt to say he won't be either, though it will obviously take time to recover full fitness, form, and quite probably confidence.

Well aye, course it will.... I would have thought that was obvious Gazza.
But given the horrific injury he sustained, the amount of re-hab, (his knee looks bloody awful), and then the training to get back up to speed and full fitness... there is an element of risk of him being able to have the impact he had prior to his injury.
As Gaz says, I sincerely hope he does gain full fitness cos a player of his ability is missed
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#23 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well aye, course it will.... I would have thought that was obvious Gazza.

Just offering a glass half full rather than half empty alternative way of looking at it. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#24 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

aye!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#25 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

i saw kenny greatorex dubbining his boots yesterday
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#26 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#27 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

reading p&c today DP looking at a loan player or full signing what about paul cook at doncaster ??? he seems to get the headlines every week for them i know he has had his troubles in the past but so did ben cockaine and look how he turn out for us !!! in the past paul cook was a match for any player in sl good football brain played at the highest level surely you dont loose all that talent overnight

Had his day, I am afraid

#28 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Why oh why oh why? We don't need anymore forwards our forwards are class.

One of the best forward lines in the league.. i will admit that we have been let down with some poor half back plays. I keep repeating myself, but our tactical and in play kicking is abysmal at times.

#29 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

One of the best forward lines in the league.. i will admit that we have been let down with some poor half back plays. I keep repeating myself, but our tactical and in play kicking is abysmal at times.

Bob, when Brambani was with us he was abysmal, but my god, he's been a thorn in our side with his kicking game over the years.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#30 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Bob, when Brambani was with us he was abysmal, but my god, he's been a thorn in our side with his kicking game over the years.

We have the best running and ball handling half-backs in the league, but at times they are not always the most effective. Every time that Rovers get beat it seems to be from the oppositions kicking game:- Nathan Wynne for Toulouse, Brambani & Brown for Sheffield, Holroyd at the 2010 GF, and numerous Halifax half-backs with their little grubbers into our in-goal area. Our defensive line is exceptional, but our ability to deal with kicks, or run the ball out of defence from upfield kicks is among the worst in the league.

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Dubbin! You can't buy it in a sports shop now. Nor a ball pump. Not sure you can even get balls. They only sell trainers and "leisurewear". <_<

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#32 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Kenny's still got loads from his playing days, but he is having trouble getting them old leather studs with the nails in.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Kenny's still got loads from his playing days, but he is having trouble getting them old leather studs with the nails in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#34 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

We really haven't got a centre who can break the line, decent players but even Smeaton is pretty limited in attack and rarely makes a substantial break. I also agree that we could do with another half back with creativity and a half decent kicking game. Sort that out and we can win everything.

#35 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yeah weve only got briggs, finn, kain, hepworth and bussey who can play half, were pretty light there. best sign a fat, old #### head with a well known poor attitude whos best days are behind him.

Maybe a centre would be a good idea but for christs sake weve lost one game, narrowly, away at the current champions!

A good kicking game will always have an impact as its a territorial game youll more often than not make more metres off your kick that your other 5 tacles combined, so if you come up against a good one itll be a tough day. Pat Walker is a very good kicker also, but I wouldnt say ours is 'abysmal'.
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#36 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Bussey and Hepworth aren't half backs, and I think people are talking about our lack of creativity in big matches over the last couple of seasons, not just the loss against the Eagles. And yeah we may have only lost one game, but performances have been pretty mediocre in most the the matches this year, perhaps with the exception of the Leigh win.

#37 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hepworth is a stand off.

Cummins Out.

#38 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Its a long time since Hepworth played stand off to be honest, for me he's more of a loose forward.

Maybe and I really hope that I am wrong, and we find the key to break down defences against the better sides when it counts. Can't see it though to be honest.

#39 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Bussey and Hepworth aren't half backs, and I think people are talking about our lack of creativity in big matches over the last couple of seasons, not just the loss against the Eagles. And yeah we may have only lost one game, but performances have been pretty mediocre in most the the matches this year, perhaps with the exception of the Leigh win.

Performances have been mediocre? Apart from dews and the eagles we have put 40 plus on every other team we've played so far. I wouldn't call that mediocre myself.

#40 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Its a long time since Hepworth played stand off to be honest, for me he's more of a loose forward.

Maybe and I really hope that I am wrong, and we find the key to break down defences against the better sides when it counts. Can't see it though to be honest.

I wouldn't swap any of our playmakers for anyone else in our league. Tactics is the main reason.We don't have a plan B or C when were struggling that's not the players fault they play to the coaches tactics. But to be fair the tactics work most weeks so I understand not changing them but mr Aston especially as sussed us out that's why we need a plan B at least and even a plan C.

Edited by thundergaz, 27 March 2013 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users